Fedor clarifies retirement comments

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Fedor Emelianenko isn’t retiring from MMA following his knockout of Quinton Jackson at Bellator 237.

Emelianenko (39-6 MMA, 3-2 BMMA), the former PRIDE champion, returned to Japan after nearly four years on Saturday to score a first-round knockout of “Rampage” (38-14 MMA, 5-3 BMMA) in the heavyweight headliner, which took place at Saitama Super Arena and aired on Paramount.

Immediately after his win, Emelianenko’s translator made as seem as though Emelianenko was announcing his retirement. There was a plan in place for a three-fight retirement tour ahead of Bellator 237, and Emelianenko actually meant it was his last appearance in Japan.

“I’m doing my tour and this is my final fights and I want to do a fight in Japan, I want to do a fight in United States and I went to do Russia,” Emelianenko told reporters, including MMA Junkie, post-fight at Bellator 237. “So Japan, it was my retirement fight in Japan. So I’m not retiring.”

Emelianenko, 43, said he was unsure exactly how long it will take to complete the final two bouts in his tour. He intends to return home to Russia and spend the holidays with his family before discussing the future with the Bellator brass.

For now, though, he is enjoying the fruits of his labor against Jackson. It was a one-sided effort against the former UFC champ, because Emelianenko had a sizable speed advantage and had no issue pulling the trigger.

The fight wasn’t exactly how Emelianenko envisioned it, he said, but it worked out for the best.

“I thought the fight would end up on the ground, but as soon as I got into the cage I started to feel that I was faster than ‘Rampage’ and I started to feel that edge,” Emelianenko said. “It would make no sense to go to the ground, so that’s why I kept it up.”

Emelianenko landed the fight-ending shot less than three minutes into the opening round, and while Jackson seemed to take some issue with the stoppage, Emelianenko thought referee Kevin MacDonald made the right call in waving it off.

“It was a good stoppage because I felt like I would just get on top of him and start to deliver very heavy punches,” Emelianenko said. “Right after my punch he just collapsed and went face down. There was no necessity to do more.”

https://mmajunkie-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/12/fedor-emelianenko-retirement-bellator-237-clarifies-knockout-rampage/amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE=#aoh=15776065277127&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/12/fedor-emelianenko-retirement-bellator-237-clarifies-knockout-rampage

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Sssooooooo......
Will we finally see Kharitonov vs. Fedor in America?
Then resuscitate Bigfoot for the Russian rematch?

Worst case scenario he's finishing up
41-7-1[truly 41-6-2 (or 40-6-2)]

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I do kinda wish he'd retire, that was a nice win to go out on with all the pomp and circumstance of the Japan show

M

member 1013

Sssooooooo......

Lol I hope not.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
Sssooooooo......

If he’s supposed to fight in locations he hasn’t fought in for Bellator.
I’m not sure what US location he’d fight. Maybe Hawaii? I guess San Jose is stilled owed one too.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I’m not sure what US location he’d fight. Maybe Hawaii? I guess San Jose is stilled owed one too.
I would take a Hawaii trip if it had some other cool fights on it...maybe a mousasi sighting?
I like that idea

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I do kinda wish he'd retire, that was a nice win to go out on with all the pomp and circumstance of the Japan show
If they can get favorable matchups, might as well milk some final retirement dollars.

Maldonado blip aside, Fedor has proven that he has never lost his ability to crush cans without too much trouble. And Maldonado is not a can if you just agree to box with him, which is what Fedor did.

Fedor still looks more than sharp enough to take care of non-elite or non-prime fighters.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Seattle :)

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
That whole heart attack issue he recently had may put a little kink in any comeback talks.

But I’d guess 2mil.

i wonder how much money it would take for randy to come out of retirement

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
aint much point in fighting chuck . randy had a heart attack ,crocop had a stroke, fedor vs wanderlei might be the fight to make . there is not many guys of fedors era left in the game

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That whole heart attack issue he recently had may put a little kink in any comeback talks.

But I’d guess 2mil.

Now that's one fight I don't see Coker seeking, or doctors sanctioning.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
who is left and still fighting? ,tito,roy nelson, josh barnetto, bigfoot silva rematch?