Fedor vs CroCop and the Yakuza/PRIDE under world connection...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I've been watching PRIDE from the beginning for the last 2 weeks or so. It's been years since I have done this - watched all their shows in sequence.

It's hard not to forget the anticipation going into a PRIDE show when there is a UFC card constantly, with even the biggest ones being a bit over saturated with a few exceptions each year, usually in July and December.

Not only did the fans want to watch PRIDE, the fighters wanted to fight there. At the time when PRIDE was far and away the #1 MMA organization in the world, the UFC was in dire financial crisis. They were close to being sold on a few different occasions. Jens Pulver, BJ Penn, and Murilo Bustamante all left the UFC as reigning champions over the course of just over two years between 2002 and 2004.

Due to this, the UFC had to come up with the now infamous "champion's clause" - a piece of the fighter's contracts stating that in the event they win a UFC title, they are bound to the organization forever - until they lose the belt or retire.

Obviously, as we all know, PRIDE and the UFC's fortunes would change completely on both sides - PRIDE would soon meet its demise and the UFC would grow to heights never thought possible.

However, from the early to mid 2000's, PRIDE really was the Super Bowl of MMA, with K-1 also getting into the mixed martial arts game with their NYE and Romanex shows. Japan's MMA scene was on fire. While it only lasted a few years... It was a really special time in the sport's history.

Which leads me to THE fight.. in THE organization.

Fedor vs CroCop (Final Conflict 2005) was one of the first PRIDE shows I ever saw on TV and not days or weeks after the fact. The anticipation for that fight was RIDICULOUS. In recent years, there are very few fights that have come close to matching the hype that finally went down on the night of August 28th, 2005. Immediately comimg to mind are Penn vs GSP 2, Jones vs Cormier, Anderson vs Chael 2, and perhaps even Hendo vs Anderson and Rampage (for historic sake due to the PRIDE and UFC belt unification)..

Similar to Fedor vs Mirko, Penn vs GSP was building for years, as both fighters were not only at the top of their game, but also the reigning champions of their respective weight classes.. Plus, they'd fought a VERY close match years prior with a disputed decison. BJ left Georges' face a mess after round 1, but GSP out worked and ended up getting the nod against GSP after the second and third.

Anderson vs Chael 2 had a huge build as well, for obvious reason I don't have to explain to anyone reading this. But the one thing that made Fedor vs CroCop stand above the rest?

There was so much more going on not just in the ring - but outside of it, too. It wasn't just a fight built on bad blood, trash talk, or a close first meeting - To put it bluntly, the circumstances surrounding it were so crazy, so mind boggling, that it's hard to comprehend in today's MMA world that these types of things were going on - regularly - in the fight game. Things that the general public and most MMA fans were unaware of as they occurred. In the world of athletic commissions, Twitter beefs and fake trash talk, this fight was surrounded by a darker, more sinister vibe - Yakuza strong arm tactics, blackmail, kidnapping, defamation, in ring losses and more

At one point, it really felt like Fedor vs CroCop may NEVER happen. There were rumors that Fedor was "terrified" of CroCop. Allegations were stirred up mainly by the shady yakuza backing of PRIDE that he had faked a hand injury to get out of fighting Mirko. The PRIDE brass hated Fedor and never wanted him to be champion, especially after he had left the organization as champion to compete on Inoki's NYE show. Not only did PRIDE try to smear Fedor's name to the public with false allegations - they took it many, many steps further. For example.. Fedor's signature was forged on his PRIDE contract, which paid him next to nothing - between 10 and 15 k per fight, as champion, while Mirko was paid well over 100k by this point.

On top of that? One of the craziest stories in MMA - an incident that eventually led directly to the downfall of PRIDE when they lost their deal with Fuji TV, causing the organization to be worthless without TV rights and on the brink of closing within months. What was such a big deal, you ask?

Well, believe it or not.. It was the kidnapping of Fedor's manager, Miro Mijatovic, by Ota-Kogyo boss (a Yamaguchi Gumi Yakuza sub group) "Mr I" - aka Mr Ishizaka, aka Kim Dok Soo. Mr I was the REAL power behind PRIDE, who controlled PRIDE President Sakakibara like a puppet on a string.

^ Miro

Two Yakuza goons, named Sakamoto and Koyama approached Miro in the Kobe Okura hotel lobby. They brought him to the bar, which was closed at the public. Miro was led to a table, flanked with Yakuza members. At the head of the table was Mr I and Sakakibara. So much back story goes into why they kidnapped Miro (mainly stemming from the Fedor/Inoki NYE incident) that it's really too long to get into detail about - but this was as serious as it gets.

Miro was held at gun point. When Miro refused to sign the new contract that they'd written up for Fedor (and were attempting to extort both he and his manager into signing; Fedor arrived at the meeting later and laughed at the entire situation), he was told by a furious Sakakibara that this was "not a negotiation". Sakamoto raised his gun to Miro's head, but Miro still did not back down.

^ Sakakibara

Eventually, Miro, Fedor and Vadim (who was also present along with a translator) were able to escape the meeting unharmed. Shortly after, Yakuza goons were sent to Miro's home in the middle of the night when he was not there, while his wife and children were asleep. This was the absolute last straw for Miro - he'd had enough. He went to the Japanese version of the FBI (whose name escapes me, sorry, I am going off memory here) who began their investigation into what was REALLY happening behind the scenes at PRIDE.

While this investigation took years, its conclusion changed the history of MMA forever and led to PRIDE shutting its doors for good.

Anyway, back to the fight itself. Not only were all of these things going on behind the scenes - the story line build up itself was beyond amazing. It was like a pro wrestling dream scenario, too good to be true. People were so invested n the out come of this fight. So much had led up to that one match...

CroCop - the killer with a signature finishing move.. Who stumbled a few times on his way to the top but was FINALLY getting his shot after racking off 7 straight, vicious wins in the PRIDE ring following his loss to Randleman. At the time when he was decapitating EVERYONE with high kicks, including Fedor's own brother. In what's now a famous internet video, Fedor can be seen backstage watching the Mirko vs Aleks fight, angrily swearing and displaying raging emotion - something rarely, if ever seen from the Last Emperor.

Finally, the fight came. As they always say in these types of situations, you could cut the tension in the air with a knife. The fight itself played out in a way nobody expected - with Fedor walking down CroCop on the feet, and for lack of a better term, beat his fucking ass. While CroCop did have his moments, including breaking Fedor's nose with a straight left hand and landing a high kick right to the side of Fedor's head - it didn't matter.

Fedor took plenty of damage in the fight, but not for a second did he relent.

He kept going. He absorbed everything CroCop had, and never stopped coming forward. He dominated him on the feet and on the ground, toying with him from guard as he wound up his punches, spun his wrist in a circular fashion and blasted straight down to CroCop's face in a display of skill and technical mastery across all aspects of MMA rarely seen before or since. He was even bold enough to attempt - and land, although not at full force - a high kick of his own.

When you really know about everything that went into it - on the surface and beyond - it's hard not to be in awe of everything surrounding this fight. Of course, Fedor emerged victorious and continued to dominate the HW scene for 5 years onward, while CroCop eventually rebounded to go on the greatest run of his career - capping off the prime of his life by winning one of the toughest tournaments in MMA history, the 2006 Openweight Grand Prix.

Both men remain two of the most respected, revered and legendary fighters ever to step foot in the ring to this day. Their names evoke memories of brutal knockouts (Mirko vs Igor, Mirko vs Aleks, etc), relentless beatings (Fedor vs Nogueira, Fedor vs Kohsaka, etc), but above all, greatness.

That's why, in my opinion and many other fans, this was the greatest fight in mixed martial arts history.

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed reading. Maybe I could've formatted this better. Maybe I should've proof read a few more times. But this was not an article. Just a post.. A post talking about my favorite fight, ever. I hope it made SOME sense, at least. : )

Peace

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Thanks guys! I actually edited it a bit just now, mainly in the first half, to try and make a little more sense of it all

I know there's a lot of stuff in there that probably needs explaining. Who certain guys were, what they did, the situations and how they came about etc.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try my best to answer. I'll also point to certain books and interviews I've read that paint this picture in great detail.. At length. Just crazy, crazy shit. I could read and talk about this stuff all day. So fascinating.

Maybe I'll edit it some more later, and try to turn it into an "article". But really, it's just a stream of consciousness post about my thoughts and memories of this fight, along with some of the background information I've learned over the years as time has gone on.

Crazy. That's all I can say really. The fight itself and everything that took place to get there. Just fucking crazy.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Just woke up but I'm going to read this once I get a coffee in me. Good to see you back to yourself Γαλάνης @Galanis

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Thanks man. Make sure to refresh before reading. I will have probably edited a few more little things by then to make it read better.

I should've taken the time to go over it before posting, but I really don't care that much, lol. It took me long enough as it is to write that behemoth. I just hope people find it as entertaining and captivating as I do.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
For context

Here is an extended interview wth Miro Mijatovic, where he goes into great detail about everything related to that day, the scandal, the fallout, etc.

This is a MUST WATCH for anyone who has the time. Possibly the best MMA interview ever done. Not sure how to embed it, but here is the links. If it doesn't work, I can upload it to Youtube later. The minute you hit play on this, you will not be able to turn it off.

Trust me. Watch this shit.

Exclusive: Extended Miro Mijatovic Interview (Part 1 of 3) | Free Video Clips | SPIKE

Exclusive: Extended Miro Mijatovic Interview (Part 2 of 3) | Free Video Clips | SPIKE

Exclusive: Extended Miro Mijatovic Interview (Part 3 of 3) | Free Video Clips | SPIKE

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Also, Brian J. D'Souza's book - "Pound for Pound: The Modern Gladiators of Mixed Martial Arts" covers this extensively in the 100+ page section about Fedor's career. Lots of information from Miro, Fedor, and many others closely associated with the situation.

The book has 5 sections - one each covering the greatest pound for pound fighter in his respective weight class at the time it was released:

BJ, GSP, Anderson, Shogun & Fedor

Not only that, it goes into great detail about the managerial side of MMA, especially the darker veil that hangs over it all. Similarly fascinating are the sections about Anderson and Shogun's PRIDE dealings, where they, too, were being absolutely fucked by PRIDE and their managers while under Chute Boxe.

The GSP and BJ sections are great, too - you'd be surprised at how much shit GSP has had to deal with from the beginning of his career. Gangster, shady managers, etc.

If I had to give a top 5 MMA book list, this one would make it easily. The section about Fedor is worth the money alone, even if you are not a fan of the guy. The book is exhaustively researched with 250+ citations backing up everything written in its pages. The author also interviewed the subjects himself.

Throughout the pages, he also paints a great picture of each fighter's notable opponents (like Machida, CroCop, Jones, Hughes.. even to other famous fighters like Mike Tyson, Joe Louis, and more).

Essential reading. Trust me on this - you will blast through this book, and by the time you get to the Fedor section, you will not be able to put it down. He goes into extensive detail about the Miro incident, and describes everything way better than I ever could in a simple forum post.

Here's a link to buy it for anyone interested

View: http://www.amazon.com/Pound-Modern-Gladiators-Mixed-Martial/dp/0988149303

Anyway I've been up all night writing this and watching fights. So I'm gonna go crash for a few hours. Later guys.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
ttt in for later..love me some G man perspectives

Brian J. D'Souza

Apr 3, 2015
Thanks for explaining all of this. People want to brush yakuza connections aside because they "just want to enjoy the fights."

Really good to have this come out, as Sakakibara is trying to stage shows again.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Great thread Galanis. I haven't watched this fight in a long time and I forgot how close Cro cop was to ko'ing Fedor with that high kick (the one in the GIF).

An inch lower and he would have won.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Thank you guys so much for the love. Really awesome to know the time I spent writing and ranting about this shit was actually read by people and enjoyed.

Yet another example of why this is the best MMA forum EVER. Instead of skimming through it, leaving a comment saying "Fedor sucks CrCop was never any good JDS and Cain would beat them both at da same time PRIDE was fake u faggot VTFD"

We get intelligent, good discussion. Something that I actually forgot was possible amongst fans of this sport until this site came along.

Love this place

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Thank you guys so much for the love. Really awesome to know the time I spent writing and ranting about this shit was actually read by people and enjoyed.

Yet another example of why this is the best MMA forum EVER. Instead of skimming through it, leaving a comment saying "Fedor sucks CrCop was never any good JDS and Cain would beat them both at da same time PRIDE was fake u faggot VTFD"

We get intelligent, good discussion. Something that I actually forgot was possible amongst fans of this sport until this site came along.

Love this place
VTFD

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Thanks for explaining all of this. People want to brush yakuza connections aside because they "just want to enjoy the fights."

Really good to have this come out, as Sakakibara is trying to stage shows again.
FRAT ahead -

I had no idea you signed up here, man. That's absolutely awesome. BTW, before I talk about the book, I just wanted to say - respect to you for having the balls to be a REAL reporter and journalist. I saw the Dana incident. I'm not surprised at how he acted at all, but major, major respect to you for having the balls to research, ask the REAL questions and not be afraid to stand up to some fat bully millionaire who tries to strong arm the media into playing "nice". HE was the dick that day and one day he is going to get his comeuppance in one way or another.

Anyway.. ANYONE who is reading - like I said above.. If this interests you at all? You must read this book! You will not regret it. I swear I have posted this recommendation on here and the UG 100 times over the last 2-3 years.. and guess what, I will never stop! That book is the ONLY one I've ever read that gives the reader an idea of what it's truly like for these athletes at the top of the sport. That it's not all glitz and glamor. If anyone is capable of painting that picture, and doing so with exhaustive research (that is all backed up), it's you.

I've read every single big time MMA book ever put out. Nobody, and I mean nobody can touch Pound for Pound. Gentry's book is amazing and does cover the early history of the sport well. But P4P is a completely different work - written with passion and knowledge on the ugly side of MMA that people don't seem to understand exists.

I have not read such great combat sports writing since AJ Liebling's "The Sweet Science", the famous boxing writer's book of collective New Yorker pieces covering fights in the 40s and 50s. THAT is the level I put your book at man, amongst the best ever across any combat sport.

There have been so many stupid, silly, and rehashed MMA books put out over the years. Pound for Pound is was the most refreshing, original work on MMA I've read possibly ever.

Sorry for the big post. I don't mean to sound like a kiss ass. But since the day you released this on the UG and I bought the ebook and subsequently the physical copy.. I have told every single one of my friends in person, and anyone who will listen online about how great of a job you did. It's just so different than any other book out there.. and even though it focuses on the 5 fighters on the cover, MAN, there is so much more information on the people surrounding them. I loved the added parts about guys like Pele, Rudmiar, Sherri Spencer (barf), Miro, GSP's original manager (name escapes me this second), BJ's family, Ralph Gracie, etc etc...

Great job man. I figured if there is ever a time to thank you for what was no doubt an exhausting project, this would be it. This thread was made entirely because of your book and the revealing, mind blowing content inside. That book opened up a world to me I didn't know existed in the MMA universe. Since then, I have always looked at things quite differently. Even though I've long been involved in my local MMA scene and promotions, and would see the bullshit schemes, scams and scumbags that are inevitably around the fight game on a regional level.. I really had no idea just how crazy things really are at the elite, tip top of the sport.

There is so much going on that the public doesn't see.. and a lot of it can play into the outcomes of actual fights.. Yet typical shill MMA fans are quick to dismiss guys when they lose as if they "were never any good" or other garbage, simply because they have no idea what these athletes go through not just in training or in the ring - but outside of it.. Which very well may play the biggest factor in their career trajectory.

If you took the time to read this wall O' text - thank you. Legit, thank you for writing that book, flying all over the world to get those interviews, and putting ut something no other author can even touch.

Thank you!

BUY THIS MAN'S BOOK PEOPLE, you will not regret it!