General Fermented Foods

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Just getting into this stuff
Kind of a pussy

Cumin Ginger Jalepeno sauerkraut is what I picked up today...made locally
pretty good stuff, eating it in a dish and it tastes excellent

Baby steps

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
What fermented foods do you enjoy?
Kraut. It's my German heritage. I have to have it shipped from Amana Colonies in Iowa.
Also have the official Grandma's Bread-n-Butter Pickles recipe, if you want.

You can also do 'fast pickling' with vinegar/salt and ice...works really well for red onions and cucumbers.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Kraut. It's my German heritage. I have to have it shipped from Amana Colonies in Iowa.
Also have the official Grandma's Bread-n-Butter Pickles recipe, if you want.

You can also do 'fast pickling' with vinegar/salt and ice...works really well for red onions and cucumbers.
Nice...I like the Kraut I got...lots of folks making different stuff locally that I am gonna try...I am part german also

gonna try kimchi also but not sure about the huge chunks...smaller pieces seems easier on my mind for some reason(I'm a pussy)

We do fast pickling for pickles...not sure if we use Ice though...but the jars have to stay in the fridge...not sure if much fermentation is going on though

not a huge fan of bread and butter pickles tho...I think those are the sweet ones?

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I like pickled onions and pickled mussels. It puts hair on your knackers

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Nice...I like the Kraut I got...lots of folks making different stuff locally that I am gonna try...I am part german also

gonna try kimchi also but not sure about the huge chunks...smaller pieces seems easier on my mind for some reason(I'm a pussy)

We do fast pickling for pickles...not sure if we use Ice though...but the jars have to stay in the fridge...not sure if much fermentation is going on though

not a huge fan of bread and butter pickles tho...I think those are the sweet ones?
Bread-n-Butter are sweet, but Grandma's aren't as sweet as most.

Kimchee is amazing, but it can be hard to get real homemade kimchee. Store stuff or restaurant stuff can be good, but the homemade is incredible.

But your sweat will smell like kimchee.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Bread-n-Butter are sweet, but Grandma's aren't as sweet as most.

Kimchee is amazing, but it can be hard to get real homemade kimchee. Store stuff or restaurant stuff can be good, but the homemade is incredible.

But your sweat will smell like kimchee.
I am basically a hippy with guns and a huge garden so I will likely make my own kraut and kimchee...I just want to try some stuff out to make sure I know what I like and then I will learn to make it at home

I eat a ton of Garlic so it will just be another thing I smell like

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I am basically a hippy with guns and a huge garden so I will likely make my own kraut and kimchee...I just want to try some stuff out to make sure I know what I like and then I will learn to make it at home

you might be a little late for kimchee season, but might be OK depending on where you live. Try and get the real Korean kimchee shrimp, not 'asian shrimp paste', and there's a specific Korean pepper flake that matters to the taste.

And use a shitload of garlic. A good ratio is 1 head of garlic for 1 big (5lb) head of cabbage

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I was at my buddies wedding in this little town in the middle of nowhere and me and my other friend somehow ended up drinking a bunch with this old man. Somehow he started telling us about how he made his own “kraut”. He was really proud of it and kept telling me and my buddy to come by his house to check out his set up. Because we’re shit faced we tell him we’ll stop by his house the next day.
The next morning me and my buddy wake up hungover to hell but we feel guilty so we decide to suck it up and go find this old man’s house.
He opens the door and almost jumps in the air he is so happy. We follow him down to his basement and the place is a dump. There is a mountain of empty 60 oz rye bottles against the wall and he’s just got a bunch of white plastic pails with Saran wrap half covering them. There are dead flies floating in the sauerkraut pails. The guy is proud as hell, but proudest of the fact that he makes a turnip kraut, he drags us around the basement making us look into all the pails, then he starts giving us his life story. We were trapped, so to try to get out of it I say “Hey Don, any chance you’d sell us some of this Kraut?”.
The guy’s eyes light up, He takes us to a freezer and he’s got a bunch of it bagged up. I give him 20 bucks, he gives us a few bags and we start making are way up the stairs while listening to this guy’s stories.
To make a long story short. I got the kraut home and it was fucking inedible. I like turnip, and I like sauerkraut, and I can eat just about anything, but this was like a rotten sweet, turnip taste that almost made me puke. I threw it all out.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
you might be a little late for kimchee season, but might be OK depending on where you live. Try and get the real Korean kimchee shrimp, not 'asian shrimp paste', and there's a specific Korean pepper flake that matters to the taste.

And use a shitload of garlic. A good ratio is 1 head of garlic for 1 big (5lb) head of cabbage
what am I late for?
tons of local amazing produce available here...lots of great greenhouses in Oregon
Will look into the special pepper flake...probably grow the peppers next year...I grew about 25 types of peppers this year and made tons of great stuff with them

LOL at sex chicken story^^....I prep/cook food with lab like sanitation....If I run a fermentation operation it will be top notch and no flies or bugs are invited

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
what am I late for?
tons of local amazing produce available here...lots of great greenhouses in Oregon
Will look into the special pepper flake...probably grow the peppers next year...I grew about 25 types of peppers this year and made tons of great stuff with them

LOL at sex chicken story^^....I prep/cook food with lab like sanitation....If I run a fermentation operation it will be top notch and no flies or bugs are invited
my Korean friends' families always do kimchee in late Oct/Nov timeframe, I think it's just tradition. Nobody buries pots in the ground anymore, but still do it around that time. I'll IM my friend and get the name of the spice.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
my Korean friends' families always do kimchee in late Oct/Nov timeframe, I think it's just tradition. Nobody buries pots in the ground anymore, but still do it around that time. I'll IM my friend and get the name of the spice.
I'm a noob...had no idea people were burying pots...thought you were talking about access to produce or ingredients

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Oh so Kimchi is "fermented" now?

lol.

You kids and your renaming fads....

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
gochugaru. and his mom uses a flavored salt, but no idea what it is. try to find out when he talks to her again.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Kimchee is amazing, but it can be hard to get real homemade kimchee.
Depends on where you live. I know a lot of 1st generation Koreans, including the chef / owners of 2 different Korean restaurants in Chicago. One of them taught me his mom's recipe step-by-step, but I kept thinking, "I'm probably not going to remember any of this since you make it for me."

A friend keeps trying to get me to make hummus, because "it's so easy." You know what's even easier? Getting it at the Lebanese place on the corner for $3

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Depends on where you live. I know a lot of 1st generation Koreans, including the chef / owners of 2 different Korean restaurants in Chicago. One of them taught me his mom's recipe step-by-step, but I kept thinking, "I'm probably not going to remember any of this since you make it for me."

A friend keeps trying to get me to make hummus, because "it's so easy." You know what's even easier? Getting it at the Lebanese place on the corner for $3
felt the same way about hummus, right up until I had it at my work's cafeteria in Israel.
Now I'm trying to figure out how make that hummus.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
what am I late for?

Nappa harvest is mid October to mid November. I don't think this is a greenhouse friendly vegetable, you could start it there but it needs certain temperatures and light hours that are similar to fall weather. Kimchi is closed fermentation so you do not have to worry about flies like with vinegar.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017

Maybe try making green cabbage kimchi instead its pretty goof proof. Some recipes will tell you to wait a week or two but i suggest 1-2 days because it will get slimey and soft if you wait too long depending how effective your refridgerator is. This is alot easier to eat and finish it off after a few days because it's like a spicey cabbage salad and less like a pungent condiment / side dish.