Fight Facts: UFC 215 and Fight Night Pittsburgh

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
C

Ceiling Fan

Formerly writing for Vice Sports with the series titled Cage Captions, my new project, Fight Facts is a solo continuation of that project.

The name may have changed, and some of the stylistic features from Cage Captions will also be different, but it's the same great information presented in a slightly different format. Fightland forever!

Like always, if you have any questions, comments, queries or concerns, please let me know. I'm developing this with the fans in mind first and foremost, and I'm always looking for ways to improve it.

There was some good information from each card, but not enough fun facts and Octagon oddities to merit an entire short article on each. This will combine the two.

Fight Facts: UFC 215 and Fight Night Pittsburgh
9/17/17

Total Number of UFC Fights: 4329
Total Number of UFC Events: 411

UFC 215

Like a Machine
Jon Anik commentated his 100th UFC card at UFC 215 since joining the UFC over 5 and a half years ago. In comparison, it took former commentator Mike Goldberg about ten years to call his 100th card.

She’s Going the Distance
Nunes and Shevchenko became the first women’s bantamweight championship bout to go to a decision, with the previous ten ALL ending before the final bell. Women’s bantamweight was the only remaining division to never have a championship go the full five rounds.

I Get Knocked Down…
Jeremy Stephens scored a whopping FIVE knockdowns against Gilbert Melendez thanks to leg kicks, tying the UFC record set by Forrest Petz against Sammy Morgan at UFC Fight Night 6 in 2006.

But I Get Up Again
Surviving and going to the scorecards against Stephens, Melendez has still never been stopped by strikes in his 30-fight career. Melendez lost his FOURTH consecutive fight, and prior to this losing streak he had always bounced back from a loss with a win.

You Can’t Choke the Arm
Sara McMann has been involved in all three arm-triangle submissions in UFC women’s divisional history, and is the ONLY fighter in UFC history to win AND lose a bout by an arm-triangle choke.

Live Dog
A massive +450 underdog, Kajan Johnson upset the heavy -600 favorite Adriano Martins with a third round knockout. Johnson's win became the biggest betting upset of 2017, and is the biggest underdog to win in the UFC since Eric Spicely (+500) submitted Thiago Santos at UFC Fight Night 96 in 2016.

UFN Pittsburgh

Rock and Roll
Luke Rockhold has never gone the distance in his UFC career, with all six of his wins coming by way of stoppage.

Live to Fight Another Day
David Branch became the first UFC fighter to tap to strikes since 2014, when Colby Covington made TUF China competitor Anying Wang submit to punches in Covington’s UFC debut.

Gold Pressed (P)latinum
Clocking in at 79 seconds, Mike Perry’s knockout over Alex Reyes was the quickest win of his career, and Perry kept his streak alive as all eleven of his wins have come by KO/TKO.

Family Guy
Opting to stay with his family in Florida during Hurricane Irma, Thiago Alves withdrew from his bout with Mike Perry. Alves has now pulled out of the MOST fights in UFC history with 8, although he has fought 22 times in the UFC over 12 years.

Lombard Bombarded
After his first 41 bouts without ever being stopped, and following a failed drug test for anabolic steroids in January 2015, Hector Lombard has lost three of his last four by KO/TKO after a third round TKO loss at the hands of Anthony Smith.

Talk ‘Bout Me Ambition
In five of his last six fights, Olivier Aubin-Mercier has walked out to Sister Nancy’s “Bam Bam”, and has won ALL five of those bouts. His loss last year to Carlos Diego Ferreira was accompanied by Traffic’s “Dear Mr. Fantasy,” and he switched back right after that loss.

Listen to Your Mother
Scoring a remarkable comeback TKO over Krzysztof Jotko, Uriah Hall became the first *recorded fighter to utilize LL Cool J’s “Mama Said Knock You Out” and actually win a fight by knockout.

*As the database is incomplete, there could have been fighters to previously utilize the song and win by knockout but with the information I have, Hall is the first.

As Submission (Strikes)/Submission (Punches) are sometimes ruled or considered TKOs, there is some debate on exactly how many fighters have tapped to strikes in UFC history.

Last edited by a moderator:

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Great LL stat lol, I was hoping for some intro music info.

Good to see Perry get that bonus too. That Reyes nose looked fucked.

C

Ceiling Fan

Great LL stat lol, I was hoping for some intro music info.
I always try to throw in some good music information, the last few cards haven't given me anything noteworthy. It's not that exciting to see some fighter has gone 2-0 since switching to this song, so it has to be significant enough to point out, like Aubin-Mercier going 5-0 and when he changed it, he lost, and then went back and won again.