Fighters insulting each other's wives: POLL

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

how do you feel about this matter?

• 100% Fair game. just deal w/ consequences

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Fair game. bit harsh.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • it's a bit much but you can chat shit if u like

• it's a bit rough so don't do it

• big mistake don't do it

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • never ever insult the guy's wife

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • ***bonus ONLY UNDER EXTREMELY

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
[*fucked the poll/posted too soon.]

i dunno, not wanting to skew the poll but i am supremely biased. insulting another man's wife is a massive problem in any environment.

but add to that, these guys fight under limited rules to feed their families.. and anything interesting they say gets picked up by the media ( talking UFC at this point). makes it a massive deal, all the more unforgivable.

on the other side of things, the fellas have to go hard with the media and get noticed. everyone can see that. part of the modern game. wives are there to be talked about.

makes it a bit more real, but they might choose that. besides, they probably never say anything that bad.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Never. This is a sport first and foremost. On the street anything goes, but there is no room for that under a sports promotion.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
To me, if a fighter's spouse gets involved in talking smack, it's fair game. But it should remain smack talk and never cross the line into threats, etc.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
only if the other fighter or their spouse/family initiates, and even then, it's a bad look.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
its a low class chickenshit move but hey fly at it . just dont be surprised when someone wants to fight you IRL though.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
should leave the family out of it no matter what unless the family member instigated first, even then, you can't really go full force.

general rule of the thumb for talking shit, if you can beat their ass in the cage, everything goes (just about them). if not, just let go.

i also remember when Jon Jones showed video clip of his daughter saying, "my daddy's going to beat your daddy's ass" I don't know if Jones made her say that but that's pretty low imo, using your own family to talk shit.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Remember when Chael said that he was gonna smack Silva's wife on the ass and have her cook him a medium rare steak? That's was funny imo. When the fight was over Silva handled it perfectly.

"Come on, Chael. You can come to the barbeque. You just can't touch my butt."

Colby is probably the least respected guy in MMA right now. Why would anyone care what he says? If you wouldn't go to somebody for advice them don't pay any attention to what they say about you or your wife. Miocic can't do anything to make him stop talking so why bother approaching him. Shrug it off and move on.

T

The Big Guy

If its funny like chael saying hell smack andersons wifes ass and tell her to grill a streak then its borderline. But just talking shit has no place imo

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
If the First Lady is allowed to be insulted by everyone and their mother, I see no reason why fighters wives can’t.

It’s definitely a douche move... and uncalled for. But if you’re trying to play a mind game or unsettle an opponent, and you don’t care if it makes you look bad, go for it.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
I wonder if the folks at WME would look at that more as a ratings opportunity or a black eye on their brand.

Twelve Twenty Four

Jan 21, 2016
If the First Lady is allowed to be insulted by everyone and their mother, I see no reason why fighters wives can’t.

It’s definitely a douche move... and uncalled for. But if you’re trying to play a mind game or unsettle an opponent, and you don’t care if it makes you look bad, go for it.
fuck that cunt

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
To me, if a fighter's spouse gets involved in talking smack, it's fair game. But it should remain smack talk and never cross the line into threats, etc.
My thoughts exactly.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Remember when Chael said that he was gonna smack Silva's wife on the ass and have her cook him a medium rare steak? That's was funny imo. When the fight was over Silva handled it perfectly.

"Come on, Chael. You can come to the barbeque. You just can't touch my butt."

Colby is probably the least respected guy in MMA right now. Why would anyone care what he says? If you wouldn't go to somebody for advice them don't pay any attention to what they say about you or your wife. Miocic can't do anything to make him stop talking so why bother approaching him. Shrug it off and move on.
I agree about Chael but disagree about Colby. Everyone (who wasn't an imbecile) knew that Chael was talking incredible smack and selling a fight. Making himself the guy you love to hate, and by default making the other guy the person you love to love. I don't know who the first guy was that took himself too seriously, might have been the Diaz Brothers, might have been Aldo during his ridiculous world tour with Conor (it was probably that) but somewhere along the way a switch was flipped and fighters became so thin skinned that any passing insult became "over the line".

When Nick Diaz talked shit about GSP and Chael about Silva it was "We'll see what happens when the door closes." Now it's guys attacking people in the crowd, or their entourage storming the cage to attack defeated fighters while the fans say "Well, that's what happens when you run your mouth." A guy like Colby is definitely a cringey version of Chael, but he's still a version of Chael. It isn't the trashtalkers who've changed, it's the fans and the people on the receiving end of said trash talk.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I agree about Chael but disagree about Colby. Everyone (who wasn't an imbecile) knew that Chael was talking incredible smack and selling a fight. Making himself the guy you love to hate, and by default making the other guy the person you love to love. I don't know who the first guy was that took himself too seriously, might have been the Diaz Brothers, might have been Aldo during his ridiculous world tour with Conor (it was probably that) but somewhere along the way a switch was flipped and fighters became so thin skinned that any passing insult became "over the line".

When Nick Diaz talked shit about GSP and Chael about Silva it was "We'll see what happens when the door closes." Now it's guys attacking people in the crowd, or their entourage storming the cage to attack defeated fighters while the fans say "Well, that's what happens when you run your mouth." A guy like Colby is definitely a cringey version of Chael, but he's still a version of Chael. It isn't the trashtalkers who've changed, it's the fans and the people on the receiving end of said trash talk.
Not sure about that one man. If you know fighters, they are among the most thin skinned humans on Earth. That pro wrestling style of cutting promos on each other without someone getting all in their feelings is definitely the exception, not the rule.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Where do we disagree on Colby?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Not sure about that one man. If you know fighters, they are among the most thin skinned humans on Earth. That pro wrestling style of cutting promos on each other without someone getting all in their feelings is definitely the exception, not the rule.
Any higher caliber athletes I've ever spent time with pretty much do nothing but talk shot to each other. Time was when you talked shit to someone and they couldn't take it they were dismissed as being a headache or mentally weak.