Fights that changed a Fighter's Style Forever

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
What are some fights that caused a fighter to go back to the drawing board and revamp their style forever? The obvious one that comes up is GSP vs. Serra. Georges became a lot more careful after that KO and really tightened up his boxing so he'd never be exposed like that again. It made some of his fights a bit frustrating to watch at times because of the GSP we'd come up on, but getting KOed by such a massive underdog will definitely change you.

To me, the best illustration of this is Tyron Woodley vs Nate Marquardt. This was a Fight of the Year candidate at the time and Woodley, who had been a pretty exciting pace pusher up to this point became a much more economical counterstriker thereafter. His head movement improved significantly, but he would only rarely just go for it, earning him the "Tyquil" nickname. What I think was worse about this is how it also made him move away from his wrestling a bit in exchange for being a counterpuncher. It did earn him a UFC championship, but obviously it cost him in the long run.

View: https://youtu.be/Vwc4XvG4rig

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
What are some fights that caused a fighter to go back to the drawing board and revamp their style forever? The obvious one that comes up is GSP vs. Serra. Georges became a lot more careful after that KO and really tightened up his boxing so he'd never be exposed like that again. It made some of his fights a bit frustrating to watch at times because of the GSP we'd come up on, but getting KOed by such a massive underdog will definitely change you.

To me, the best illustration of this is Tyron Woodley vs Nate Marquardt. This was a Fight of the Year candidate at the time and Woodley, who had been a pretty exciting pace pusher up to this point became a much more economical counterstriker thereafter. His head movement improved significantly, but he would only rarely just go for it, earning him the "Tyquil" nickname. What I think was worse about this is how it also made him move away from his wrestling a bit in exchange for being a counterpuncher. It did earn him a UFC championship, but obviously it cost him in the long run.

Flag on the play!

He was boring as hell before that fight too. It was just wrestling based boring instead of stand on the fence and counter punch boring.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Flag on the play!

He was boring as hell before that fight too. It was just wrestling based boring instead of stand on the fence and counter punch boring.
He was a boring lay & prayer, but he had exciting wrestling. He pushed the pace and fought with similar relentlessness to Khabib but none of the aggression once he got them down. Winning strategy at least that he couldn't replicate later.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
He was a boring lay & prayer, but he had exciting wrestling. He pushed the pace and fought with similar relentlessness to Khabib but none of the aggression once he got them down. Winning strategy at least that he couldn't replicate later.
He aggressively sought to nap on someone? Is that what you're saying?

M

member 3289

Conor vs. Nate 1. Conor would go on to focus on his endurance after that fight whereas prior to it he just went in headhunting.

Justin Gaethje vs. Dustin Poirier. Gaethje really cleaned up his striking defense after that fight.

There are more but I can't think of them now. Will post later if I remember.

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
GSP/Serra 1. After that, GSP got more risk-averse for the rest of his WW fights. Which is a total bummer.

As for the rest, I can't say 100% whether it was caused by just 1 fight, or a process, but I'm thinking of
> Damian Maia, after training with Wandy and trying to strike, I think the Nate Marquardt fight might have convinced him to focus again on the JJ
> Ronda after getting some KO/TKO stoppages changed her style to "stand and receive"
> I think that Chad Mendes focussed much more on standup after getting that body shot KO against Cody McKenzie

gentlemanscombatives

Aug 31, 2020
Tamura vs Valentjin Overeem
Losing that match, to a guy he was supposed to dominate made Tamura considerably more careful in shoot matches after

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
I want to say Lesnar vs Velazquez/Overeem. Went from real fighting back to fake fighting.

same for rousey vs nunes. Real fighting style to play fighting

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Damian Maia, after training with Wandy and trying to strike, I think the Nate Marquardt fight might have convinced him to focus again on the
This is a good one. Demian outright said his coaches have prohibited him from striking in fights except when absolutely necessary. He says he trains kickboxing and boxing literally all the time, but they tell him he stands a higher chance of winning if he uses this knowledge to get to the ground (which could just be their gentle way of telling him he sucks lol).

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Thinking about Yoel in this context. Not sure if it was a particular fight, age, or if his knees are shot, but he certainly seems to have forgotten he's a world class wrestler.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Tkz vs garcia. First fight was a robbery. So he stopped being the zombie, kinda, and turned into a technician

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Jones - Hamill: Jon moved-on from 12-6 elbows to eye-pokes.

More seriously,

Pettis-Henderson 1: Anthony forever felt the pressure to keep up with the Showtime persona, often forcing it instead of letting his creativity flow naturally.

Michel Pereira vs Tristan Connelly: Pereira’s backflips and antics caused him to gas; he lost a decision; he has fought in a much more disciplined, measured style since then.

Brian Ortega vs Max Holloway: Ortega‘s style was very BJJ heavy but got so worked on the feet by Max that he couldn’t get the takedown. He was forced to develop a more well-rounded style with fluid striking moving forward.

Last edited:
M

member 3289

Brian Ortega vs Max Holloway: Ortega‘s style was very BJJ heavy but got so worked on the feet by Max that he couldn’t get the takedown. He was forced to develop a more well-rounded style with fluid striking moving forward.
Remember when Max literally gave him a lesson on boxing defense mid-fight?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
That fight when Paulo Filho lost his shit and started staring in the audience as he was fighting
Was the top dude until he lost it

Devante

Dec 28, 2018

stipe v ngannou - ngannou actually worked on setting up is punches and breaking guys down, instead of just swinging big; before being athletic was all he had to do, now he developed some layers to his game...

mackenzie dern loss to amanda ribas, actually forced her to be more deliberate in her striking; not just relying on size and athleticism but proper footwork, attacking mult targets, establishing a jab...and paying attention to defense/active counters...not just trying to overwhelm w/aggression

nunes loss to zingano made her more risk averse, more deliberate, and more accurate; she became more of a counter puncher, set up shots better and picked her spots instead of just selling out for finishes

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
stipe v ngannou - ngannou actually worked on setting up is punches and breaking guys down, instead of just swinging big; before being athletic was all he had to do, now he developed some layers to his game...

mackenzie dern loss to amanda ribas, actually forced her to be more deliberate in her striking; not just relying on size and athleticism but proper footwork, attacking mult targets, establishing a jab...and paying attention to defense/active counters...not just trying to overwhelm w/aggression

nunes loss to zingano made her more risk averse, more deliberate, and more accurate; she became more of a counter puncher, set up shots better and picked her spots instead of just selling out for finishes
God help me if Nunes getting rocked by cyborg and planting her feet and countering with heaters isn't one of my most memorable mma moments. Like top 10.

M

member 3289

She also worked a lot on her cardio, which could be seen in later 5R fights. Good example.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
Evolving should be apart of every MMA Fighter. That's the name of the sport.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Evolving should be apart of every MMA Fighter. That's the name of the sport.
Fact. That is another reason I think GSP is the GOAT. When it was clear wrestling was the best base to assert control in a fight, the dude evolved to add in the best double-leg in MMA and some of the best top control. Then, to change the game further he developed through simplicity by incorporating one of the most effective jabs we have ever seen. To top it off his physical training evolved (ex. added gymnastics) to keep him fit, healthy, and explosive.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
Fact. That is another reason I think GSP is the GOAT. When it was clear wrestling was the best base to assert control in a fight, the dude evolved to add in the best double-leg in MMA and some of the best top control. Then, to change the game further he developed through simplicity by incorporating one of the most effective jabs we have ever seen. To top it off his physical training evolved (ex. added gymnastics) to keep him fit, healthy, and explosive.
A True Mixed Martial Artist.