Finalized my annual golf trip

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
For the past 15 years, I've been going to Myrtle Beach with some buddies for an annual golf trip. When we first started out, back in like 2000, most of us were single and poor, and didn't give a shit about accommodations or whatever. The only one that was married is a friend of mine, who got married early in life and already had a couple of kids by that time...and his wife rules the roost. What she says, goes.

Year 1 was just 4 of us. My married w/ kids buddy (Gary) found an ad in the local paper "3 rounds of golf + hotel accommodations for $199". We were like "lets do it". What we didn't think about is, it was actually in Summerton SC in January and South Carolina gets cold as shit in the winter time. We all packed in a truck, threw our suitcases & clubs in the bed and left out of Louisville. When we arrived in Summerton, it was 36 degrees, it had rained/sleeted on our way down and all of our shit was soaked, and we pulled up to the "hotel" to find a Knights Inn that looked like it should have been condemned. We checked in, got all of our clothes out of the suitcases, and spread them out on the wall heating unit to try and dry everything out. We then went to go out and eat. What was in Summerton to eat? A McDonalds at a truck stop, and a Shell Station. Literally...that was it. Needless to say, the trip was hell.

So the next year Gary decided to go to Myrtle Beach and he found 4 more people to go. Now we had 8. He booked 2 BR condos on the beach for everyone, and the accommodations were nice. The trip was better, but there were still issues: 1) It was still freezing in January 2) It gets dark at 5pm in January, so if there were frost delays at the course, we were lucky to get the rounds in 3) Its too cold to go to the beach 4) Myrtle Beach is a ghost town in January.

Anyway...Gary continued to coordinate the trip for about 4 more years (in January) and the group grew to 24 at one point. After about Year 4 or 5, I asked him "why do you keep booking this trip in January, and why are we coming down here with so many people now?" He told me it's because January is the cheapest time of the year, and we were coming down with more people because guys going started asking their friends.

Here's where it gets good. After interrogating him for a while, he finally fesses up that his wife will only let him go in January (why, who the fuck knows) and he was getting his golf & condo for free (thru the travel agency) if he got 24 people to go.

So I said, fuck this. I got with 7 of the guys that are friends of mine on the trip and told them I was done going in January, and if they wanted to go down in the summer, then I would coordinate it. They were in. So we broke off from that group, and started going down in late August. Now we play 6 rounds and stay 7 nights, for about $80 more per person, than we were paying to go down there in January. It stays light out until 9pm, temps are in the 90's so we hit the beach after golf, its busy down there so bars are hopping, etc.

Typical day is golf from 9am-1pm. Gambling, tons of shit talk, and plenty of beer on the course. Lunch. Back to the condo, pack a cooler & hit the beach. Dinner and then hit a bar somewhere. We rent an 8 BR condo right on the beach and have a blast. This year we'll be there from 8/21 to 8/29, so don't expect to see me around here much that week. The phone will be turned off, out of office auto response set on email, and I will be tuning out everything that week.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
cool story. crazy that your friend was getting a deal behind your guys back.

sounds like fun. enjoy the good times. :cool:

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Hell yea sound great..you need take pics and post them..

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
so he was getting shit free while you guys were paying for it?
seems like stand up guy.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
cool story. crazy that your friend was getting a deal behind your guys back.

sounds like fun. enjoy the good times. :cool:
It got weird because when the group grew to 24, he was just taking anyone that would go, so he could get his trip free. Hell, I didn't even know half the guys going. He would pick up someone's cousin that was 18, someone else's grandpa that was 80. No one could agree on where to play, what to do after the rounds, etc. He didn't give a shit as long as he got his trip free. It wasn't about friends getting together for a week to have fun anymore, which is when I told him I was done with it and was going to do my own thing. Now it's 8 close friends that spend the week getting together for a week of golfing, drinking, gambling, and more shit talking than you can imagine. If you have thin skin, this is not an event you want to partake in.

A couple years ago, me and my best friend (been friends with this guy for 25 years) were talking shit on the way to the course, about how bad we were going to kick the others ass that day. We used to play Tiger Woods on Playstation and one of the features of that game was, you could do a match play round against an opponent, and whoever got the lowest score on a hole, got to take a club out of the other persons bag. So for example, if I made par on Hole 1 and my opponent made Bogey, I could take the driver from his bag. Then if he won Hole 2, he could take his driver back or take one of my clubs. And it went on for the entire round. So I say to my buddy "hey, if you're so confident motherfucker, lets make it interesting and play the take a club game". He says lets do it.

Big mistake on my part. I played like shit that day. By the end of the front 9, he had my driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, putter, and pitching wedge. AND...he started playing with them on the back 9, to rub salt in the wounds. I was having to hit 5 iron off the tee, because I didn't have any woods in my bag. I was putting with a 5 iron as well. I just got shitfaced and we had a blast with it. Laughed our asses off all day.

Last edited:

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
It got weird because when the group grew to 24, he was just taking anyone that would go, so he could his trip free. Hell, I didn't even know half the guys going. He would pick up someone's cousin that was 18, someone else's grandpa that was 80. No one could agree on where to play, what to do after the rounds, etc. He didn't give a shit as long as he got his trip free. It wasn't about friends getting together for a week to have fun anymore, which is when I told him I was done with it and was going to do my own thing. Now it's 8 close friends that spend the week getting together for a week of golfing, drinking, gambling, and more shit talking than you can imagine. If you have thin skin, this is not an event you want to partake in.

A couple years ago, me and my best friend (been friends with this guy for 25 years) were talking shit on the way to the course, about how bad we were going to kick the others ass that day. We used to play Tiger Woods on Playstation and one of the features of that game was, you could do a match play round against an opponent, and whoever got the lowest score on a hole, got to take a club out of the other persons bag. So for example, if I made par on Hole 1 and my opponent made Bogey, I could take the driver from his bag. Then if he won Hole 2, he could take his driver back or take one of my clubs. And it went on for the entire round. So I say to my buddy "hey, if you're so confident motherfucker, lets make it interesting and play the take a club game". He says lets do it.

Big mistake on my part. I played like shit that day. By the end of the front 9, he had my driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, putter, and pitching wedge. AND...he started playing with them on the back 9, to rub salt in the wounds. I was having to hit 5 iron off the tee, because I didn't have any woods in my bag. I was putting with a 5 iron as well. I just got shitfaced and we had a blast with it. Laughed our asses off all day.
good call. its pretty low for him to be taking everyone in the winter to play freezing golf to save $80. and for him to be that whipped is bonkers too.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
good call. its pretty low for him to be taking everyone in the winter to play freezing golf to save $80. and for him to be that whipped is bonkers too.
Lol yeah, I've never been one to continue doing something I don't agree with, because everyone else is or it's just easier to go along. He wants to make money off of people, then I decided he was going to have to do it off someone else besides me.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
It sounds like, with the group you have now, you're making lasting happy memories, scathing smacktalk and all (sorry if I sound like a life insurance commercial or something), and it's something you look forward to all year. Sad that Mr. January would sell that off, or not see the value of it in the first place. So weird. Why go at all when you're basically turning what should be an annual joyful dude extravaganza into, essentially, pyramid-scheme vacationing?

Anyway, have fun! My husband takes his own annual friend golf trip on Aldo-McGregor/Robbie-Rory weekend, and he's so pumped to slot that into their roster of fun stuff. Except now I realise that, as the wife, I should have been controlling this thing all along! A Canadian golf trip in January is cheap as hell!

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
It sounds like, with the group you have now, you're making lasting happy memories, scathing smacktalk and all (sorry if I sound like a life insurance commercial or something), and it's something you look forward to all year. Sad that Mr. January would sell that off, or not see the value of it in the first place. So weird. Why go at all when you're basically turning what should be an annual joyful dude extravaganza into, essentially, pyramid-scheme vacationing?

Anyway, have fun! My husband takes his own annual friend golf trip on Aldo-McGregor/Robbie-Rory weekend, and he's so pumped to slot that into their roster of fun stuff. Except now I realise that, as the wife, I should have been controlling this thing all along! A Canadian golf trip in January is cheap as hell!
Here's another thing I didn't mention. The guy that was setting it up, sucks at golf & really doesn't even enjoy it. Therefore, the trip to him was just an opportunity to get away from the wife & kids for a week, get hammered, hit strip clubs, etc...which he can't do at home. Dont get wrong, we like doing those things as well but we're actually there to pay golf first & the other stuff is secondary. So for him, if the weather conditions sucked...he would just say fuck it, and not play. Meanwhile, all of the other guys that were there to play golf, would be forced to play in 35 degree temps/flurries/etc...while he sat back at the condo, lounging in the hot tub drinking beer, etc.