General Finally talked my wife into a gun safety course. What guns should I be purchasing for home safety/hunting?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
Went out the range today and shot some holes in this piece of lead I found in the barn. I also shot a bunch of spray paint and old Gatorade I found too. Good day.
View attachment 45624

Exit holes.
View attachment 45625
That 7.62x39?

Took mine out today shot a modest 50 rounds.

Didn't have time to take pics ?

Just shot up some paper at 25 yards and had some fun with Apples and Cantaloupes.

Ever since that ban I've been conservative with my stash and I'm definitely going out soon to replace what I shot and get more. No panic buy but just being on safe side since 7.62x39 is a Biatch to reload.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
That 7.62x39?

Just shot up some paper at 25 yards and had some fun with Apples and Cantaloupes.

Ever since that ban I've been conservative with my stash and I'm definitely going out soon to replace what I shot and get more. No panic buy but just being on safe side since 7.62x39 is a Biatch to reload.
I hear ya.
I maybe shot 100 rounds or so today. I stocked up a while ago because I found them cheap. I was almost exclusively shooting 7.62 through the ammo crisis for that very reason. How the tables have turned. It’s so lame.

I shot the shit out of aerosol cans today (fuck you ozone layer) and an old motorcycle helmet I found.

I recently replaced my gas block on my AR and didn’t quite get it to seal right, or something. Thank god for the gunsmith neighbor guy, my stupidity keeps him busy.

Hopefully there is some 7.62x39 available, the motherfuckers around here scarfed everything off the shelves.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
I hear ya.
I maybe shot 100 rounds or so today. I stocked up a while ago because I found them cheap. I was almost exclusively shooting 7.62 through the ammo crisis for that very reason. How the tables have turned. It’s so lame.

I shot the shit out of aerosol cans today (fuck you ozone layer) and an old motorcycle helmet I found.

I recently replaced my gas block on my AR and didn’t quite get it to seal right, or something. Thank god for the gunsmith neighbor guy, my stupidity keeps him busy.

Hopefully there is some 7.62x39 available, the motherfuckers around here scarfed everything off the shelves.
My guess is they will find a way to import anyway (avoid loss revenue) or Domestic Manufacturers will start offering a solution to cash grab on the demand.

I only work on my rifles exterior and some easy internal parts but if there is anything in need of repair or too complicated I hand it over to a Professional.

Lucky that hasnt been needed as of late. Paws crossed.

It's just plan fun shooting inanimate things that don't normally get shot huh?

Here's a pic from the "range" today for your response.

20210906_191144.jpg

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
I always seem to make an easy repair worse. Rather than just stop, my ego kicks in and I keep going. Inevitably I end up at the neighbors with my tail between my legs. He usually doesn’t charge me though.

I hope you’re right about the 7.62. I saw some a week or 2 ago that were manufactured in Macedonia. I should’ve grabbed a couple boxes, just because.

Hit up the local Walmart after Halloween and you can get pumpkins for a buck a piece. Great targets.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Looking for some opinions on 22s, I’m wanting to get a rifle and probably a pistol too. When I was a kid, my dad bought me a 22 rifle and that’s what I learned to shoot on. Looking to do the same with my son.

my first desire is a classic Henry lever action. But I also like the standard Ruger 10/22. I don’t want to start him with a scope, but the ability to add one later would be a plus.

also been looking at pistols. I have limited experience with 22 semis, but the one I did use didn’t cycle shells well. Sometimes it did, but inconsistent. I was looking at the Ruger Wrangler revolver. And the Smith and Wesson Victory (semi).

and brands/models, tips, recommendations, etc are welcome.

Last edited:

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
Looking for some opinions on 22s, I’m wanting to get a rifle and probably a pistol too. When I was a kid, my dad bought me a 22 rifle and that’s what I learned to shoot on. Looking to do the same with my son.

my first desire is a classic Henry lever action. But I also like the standard Ruger 10/22. I don’t want to start him with a scope, but the ability to add one later would be a plus.

also been looking at pistols. I have limited experience with 22 semis, but the one I did use didn’t cycle shells well. Sometimes it did, but inconsistent. I was looking at the Ruger Wrangler revolver. And the Smith and Wesson Victory (semi).

You can’t go wrong with a 10/22. They’ve been tried and true for years, and it’s almost the gold standard for 22s.

I have a Henry.17 Hmr and it’s pretty badass too, because there is nothing quite like a good lever gun.

My first choice would be the 10/22 because of how easy it is to find aftermarket parts and because they are so goddamn reliable.
Are you looking at the Golden Boy Henry’s?

I have the 22/45 Ruger 22lr pistol and it’s ok. It’s the base model and it functions well but I wish I had bought the Browning Buck Mark for a little bit more. I know 2 people that have them and they are tack drivers. They offer a bunch of after market stuff for them too.

...just my 22 cents.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
You can’t go wrong with a 10/22. They’ve been tried and true for years, and it’s almost the gold standard for 22s.

I have a Henry.17 Hmr and it’s pretty badass too, because there is nothing quite like a good lever gun.

My first choice would be the 10/22 because of how easy it is to find aftermarket parts and because they are so goddamn reliable.
Are you looking at the Golden Boy Henry’s?

I have the 22/45 Ruger 22lr pistol and it’s ok. It’s the base model and it functions well but I wish I had bought the Browning Buck Mark for a little bit more. I know 2 people that have them and they are tack drivers. They offer a bunch of after market stuff for them too.

...just my 22 cents.
I agree about the 10/22, my brother had one growing up so I’ve used one (years ago). But there’s just always something alluring about lever actions for me though so I guess that’s why I started there. The 10/22 is pretty reasonably priced too.
I think the Golden Boy Henry might be a little fancier than I was looking at, pretty sure I was just looking at whatever the base model is.

just looked up the Buck Mark…I like that. Pretty similar to the S&W victory that I looked at.

thanks buddy, appreciate the info!

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016

Looks right on the money with what options you are considering.

My opinion is as goes..

Rifle: Ruger 10/22 polymer original or takedown.

Reason: Been around for ages great for beginners and experienced shooters alike.

Crazy loaded aftermarket.

Looks to fit what you are looking for.

Pistol: Taurus TX22 or Ruger Wrangler

Reason: If your looking for a Semi-auto the Taurus seems to have the highest success rate of functioning. I personally like the style and operation. Plus it is on the lower end price wise but not poor quality.

As for Revolvers the Ruger Wrangler is great looking and trusted brand pistol.

I see pretty positive reviews.

Option#2 is
the Heritage Rough Rider.

Not as nice looking as the Ruger but very inexpensive and are still solid shooters.

Cool to see you passing on your love of shooting sports to your son just as my Dad did with me.

Stay Safe and Have Fun no matter what you end up getting.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I agree about the 10/22, my brother had one growing up so I’ve used one (years ago). But there’s just always something alluring about lever actions for me though so I guess that’s why I started there. The 10/22 is pretty reasonably priced too.
I think the Golden Boy Henry might be a little fancier than I was looking at, pretty sure I was just looking at whatever the base model is.

just looked up the Buck Mark…I like that. Pretty similar to the S&W victory that I looked at.

Base model henry is good, I don't love that hoop sight even though it works well, I am used to other types of sights

I have one with a nickel finish instead of golden...angle on stock is a bit different(bigger angle)

Had a golden and the standard model also...all very reliable

Last edited:

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018

My opinion is as goes..

Reason: Been around for ages great for beginners and experienced shooters alike.

Reason: If your looking for a Semi-auto the Taurus seems to have the highest success rate of functioning. I personally like the style and operation. Plus it is on the lower end price wise but not poor quality.

Option#2 is

Not as nice looking as the Ruger but very inexpensive and are still solid shooters.

Cool to see you passing on your love of shooting sports to your son just as my Dad did with me.

Good call on the Taurus TX22. I have heard great things about them and they are incredibly reliable. Plus, the magazines hold 16 rather than the standard 10 or so in most 22s.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018

I only asked because I think the Golden Boys look gay as fuck ?. Sorry Rambo John J @Sound System . They look like something Liberace would carry.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

My opinion is as goes..

Option#2 is

Thanks buddy, appreciate the info ?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Ordered this semi auto 12 ga a couple weeks back for home defense, or to have on hand for whatever comes. Waiting on back order to fill.

42DD5964-014C-4891-977D-F3B8119D3DE0.png

Next purchase will be an AR. Soon.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
This was one of the first .22 pistols I looked at, and in general I have always liked Ruger. I have a Ruger Blackhawk and it is awesome....everyone loves to shoot that gun. The only semi 22 pistol I have shot was one of those mosquitos or whatever they're called, and it kept jamming shells on ejection. It was frustrating. When it wasn't doing that, it was great. But that lone experience is why I started looking at a revolver like the wrangler. The Ruger prices are pretty affordable too.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
That 7.62x39?

apples are the best targets.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I only asked because I think the Golden Boys look gay as fuck ?. Sorry Rambo John J @Sound System . They look like something Liberace would carry.
That is why I traded mine...It has the octagon barrel but you can get that on other models also.
The .22 versions aren't even brass anyways, they are some sort of alloy.

Still want a side loading .357 in Action X model...I will switch the sites out when I find one

1632328831097.png

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
Ordered this semi auto 12 ga a couple weeks back for home defense, or to have on hand for whatever comes. Waiting on back order to fill.

View attachment 47095

Next purchase will be an AR. Soon.
Woah woah that's too much 'Merica for even me to handle! You better grip it rip it brother! Hold that thing tighter than a mosquitos ass hole!!!!! Whooo-weeeee!!!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
This is the Remington Nylon that my dad taught me to shoot on. I don’t fire it often, mostly a keepsake at this point. But I think this is an ‘82 or ‘83 model (not totally sure, guessing when he would’ve bought it). I hadn’t seen it in years, and then he gave it back to me a few years ago.

229BA255-62EA-4864-A5EE-873394C6D27D.jpeg

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
This is the Remington Nylon that my dad taught me to shoot on. I don’t fire it often, mostly a keepsake at this point. But I think this is an ‘82 or ‘83 model (not totally sure, guessing when he would’ve bought it). I hadn’t seen it in years, and then he gave it back to me a few years ago.

View attachment 47179
That is awesome. I’ve wanted one ever since I watched the Jerry Miculek video. You got me wanting to shoot 22s now. I bought one of those CMMG 22lr conversion kits for an AR. It’s a lot of cheap fun but the stock mags are junk, had to find some after market.

View: https://youtu.be/ii5iC3xLJj8

his daughter could get it.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
That is why I traded mine...It has the octagon barrel but you can get that on other models also.
The .22 versions aren't even brass anyways, they are some sort of alloy.

Still want a side loading .357 in Action X model...I will switch the sites out when I find one

View attachment 47098
I hear ya, I went to sight in my 44 mag Big Boy and it’s all over the place at 50 yards and over. Very disappointing but it might be the scope...I hope it’s the scope.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I got an old stevens takedown over under 22/.410, from the late 40s
It has some early form of plastic called micarta or something
looks about like this one
1632361160841.png
Shoots great
Somebody added a really old peep site to it, very accurate .22 for such a short barrel

Fits in a small backpack when broken down and is pretty light and has storage in the stock(hollow)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
That is awesome. I’ve wanted one ever since I watched the Jerry Miculek video. You got me wanting to shoot 22s now. I bought one of those CMMG 22lr conversion kits for an AR. It’s a lot of cheap fun but the stock mags are junk, had to find some after market.

View: https://youtu.be/ii5iC3xLJj8

his daughter could get it.
That’s great, never seen that. I can’t shoot like that, but it is a great rifle!

I haven’t fired it in a LONG time. Think I absolutely have to take it to the range now.