General Finally talked my wife into a gun safety course. What guns should I be purchasing for home safety/hunting?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
It was a silly personal question I shouldn't have asked or joked about. Apologies.

And I don't think you're selfish, in this regard at least. if you were truly selfish, you'd have kids anyway because you wanted them.
Lol, it’s alright! I’m not the least bit offended. I answered a silly question a bit too seriously. It is what it is, but please don’t apologize.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Had to google it. Is the curved serrations the only difference? Not a fan of the Gen3 mag release either.
Trying not to shit up TheFifthScallop @Thefifthscallop ’s thread though.

My ex brother in law has an Ruger American Predator rifle and it’s inexpensive and shoots really well. Might serve you well for hunting. They’re pretty light too, so good for long hikes.
Meh, I don’t think you’d be shitting up the thread. As much info as I can read through would be beneficial.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
oregon passed that BS law recently about storing in a safe at all time or some shit

Get a shotgun
Get a .22 rifle
Get a pistol
Get a lever gun

Then consider a hunting rifle

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I don’t know why that makes me laugh. I’m not trying to join a “militia”.
an SKS, AK-47, or similar rifle is very versatile for home defense. Very reliable, very simple controls, more than adequate precision for hunting or defense. They're in the 'carbine rifle' group.

and they go great with a turban and/or gown, so it'll be easy for your wife to accessorize with it.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
an SKS, AK-47, or similar rifle is very versatile for home defense. Very reliable, very simple controls, more than adequate precision for hunting or defense. They're in the 'carbine rifle' group.

and they go great with a turban and/or gown, so it'll be easy for your wife to accessorize with it.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
oregon passed that BS law recently about storing in a safe at all time or some shit

Get a shotgun
Get a .22 rifle
Get a pistol
Get a lever gun

Then consider a hunting rifle
Seems like a very very reasonable and enforceable law.

edit: sarcasm. I’m sure you figured that out though.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015

You know, I had always thought ak47 was illegal. Now looking into it, I see this is not true. Huh. Today I learned something.

What is the benefit of the AK-47 as opposed to an AR-15?

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You know, I had always thought ak47 was illegal. Now looking into it, I see this is not true. Huh. Today I learned something.

It's better. At least in my personal experience. I'm sure that's not true for every person. Hence why you need to shop around and find what's good for you.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

ease of maintenance, 'factory' ergonomics are better for mid-smaller peoiple, Red Dawn appeal.

EDIT - but an AR-15 with an appropriate build-out can far exceed an AK-47, and will not run in to 922(r) compliance issues.
even if you get an AK-47/74 build, get it from an American manufacturer.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018

An Adidas track suit will increase your accuracy by 30%.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
FWIW - if I would take an SKS, AR-15, AK-47/74 in that order for a house/hunting carbine in <$800 price range.

TheFifthScallop @Thefifthscallop - do you have a price constraint?

Mace

Prophet of poon
Oct 29, 2015
For home defense you can't beat a semi auto 12ga. Keep in mind you would be panicked and sidetracked by where the family is. You don't have to aim as carefully to stop an intruder and anything waist up is game over. Plus, it's harder for them to grab than a handgun due to leverage. Most semis give you 7 to 9 rounds. My Benelli fires as fast as a handgun. I have a few AR's but they aren't for home defense. I have both H&K's and Glocks in .40 and .45. Both are great systems. My wife is proficient with her H&K usp .40 compact, it is a little less bulky than the Glock compact. I feel better with her using a .40 over a 9mm due to the carnage per shot if she's home alone. I feel like guns are worth buying quality so my brand suggestions are always Benelli for shotguns and H&K/Glock for handguns, at least as far as entry level. I have others but they are situational and more expensive. Rock River, Armalite and S&W m&p all make awesome entry level AR platforms for around $1000 if you are looking that way. Can choose the caliber that suits your needs from .223 to 9mm.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
The glock 17 looks pretty sweet.
I agree. I like the basic look of the Glock and the first pistol I bought was the 17 and I have no complaints. Nice recoil and it’s accurate. It has removable back straps to increase or decrease the grip size for larger or smaller hands. It’s difficult to recommend pistols to folks because a lot of it depends on what you like and what you're comfortable with.

Go check some out and see what you like. Many gun ranges have guns to rent as well. There’s a lot of good reliable options out there, it’s a good idea to do your homework.

Once you find one take @JorgeMasvidalsBeard’s advise and train, train, train. Ammo is expensive right now and can be hard to find but there are a lot of drills you can run with minimal ammo.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
For home defense you can't beat a semi auto 12ga. Keep in mind you would be panicked and sidetracked by where the family is. You don't have to aim as carefully to stop an intruder and anything waist up is game over. Plus, it's harder for them to grab than a handgun due to leverage. Most semis give you 7 to 9 rounds. My Benelli fires as fast as a handgun. I have a few AR's but they aren't for home defense. I have both H&K's and Glocks in .40 and .45. Both are great systems. My wife is proficient with her H&K usp .40 compact, it is a little less bulky than the Glock compact. I feel better with her using a .40 over a 9mm due to the carnage per shot if she's home alone. I feel like guns are worth buying quality so my brand suggestions are always Benelli for shotguns and H&K/Glock for handguns, at least as far as entry level. I have others but they are situational and more expensive. Rock River, Armalite and S&W m&p all make awesome entry level AR platforms for around $1000 if you are looking that way. Can choose the caliber that suits your needs from .223 to 9mm.
Did your wife have to get used to the recoil of the H&K .40 s&w?
I know some folks have trouble with the .40.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
FWIW - if I would take an SKS, AR-15, AK-47/74 in that order for a house/hunting carbine in <$800 price range.

TheFifthScallop @Thefifthscallop - do you have a price constraint?
Well, I would assume we’re going to have to start small, so I would say somewhere in the range of <$900. I realize this will most likely limit me. It seems a lot of the handguns mentioned in this thread are about up to that range.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Well, I would assume we’re going to have to start small, so I would say somewhere in the range of <$900. I realize this will most likely limit me. It seems a lot of the handguns mentioned in this thread are about up to that range.
that's plenty of $$ for 1 or 2 quality firearms.
you don't need a new Glock17 when you can get a used police issue Sig (for example)

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Fair enough. I talked with a lady at the gun store and she said she struggled with it and so did her daughter. Purely anecdotal.
I don’t own one, I was just curious.
the recoil impulse is sharper, but with good ergo it's easier to control...punches straight in to your hand.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Once you find one take @JorgeMasvidalsBeard’s advise and train, train, train. Ammo is expensive right now and can be hard to find but there are a lot of drills you can run with minimal ammo.
We definitely want to train. So far we’re talking about going to a range at least once a week after we get started. We have also discussed taking some private lessons once we become somewhat proficient. Private lessons have done us a lot of good in Jiu jitsu, I’m sure shooting would be similar in that sense.