General Finally talked my wife into a gun safety course. What guns should I be purchasing for home safety/hunting?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
the recoil impulse is sharper, but with good ergo it's easier to control...punches straight in to your hand.
I hear ya. I was surprised that my 10mm Glock 20 handled the recoil so good. I shot my cousins Berretta 92 .40 and I didn’t think it was that bad, granted I couldn’t hit shit.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
that's plenty of $$ for 1 or 2 quality firearms.
you don't need a new Glock17 when you can get a used police issue Sig (for example)
Where is the best place to purchase used police issue le weapons?

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
We definitely want to train. So far we’re talking about going to a range at least once a week after we get started. We have also discussed taking some private lessons once we become somewhat proficient. Private lessons have done us a lot of good in Jiu jitsu, I’m sure shooting would be similar in that sense.
You might find yourself a new hobby in the process.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I’m assuming these are all online entities. Have you ever had any issues ordering through them
no issues.
I bought a handgun for my dad's retirement through gunbroker and had it shipped to a local FFL for pickup.
i've bought firearms from private party on Armslist, and I've a bunch of WW2 surplus rifles through Aim Surplus and Sarco...shipped to a local FFL and picked up.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
no issues.
I bought a handgun for my dad's retirement through gunbroker and had it shipped to a local FFL for pickup.
i've bought firearms from private party on Armslist, and I've a bunch of WW2 surplus rifles through Aim Surplus and Sarco...shipped to a local FFL and picked up.
Very cool, I will look into those places.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
handguns have to be shipped 2-day, but most of the gunbroker/auctionarms listing are from FFLs/dealers.
just something to keep in mind when comparing prices.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
And yet a shotgun is perfect for both
Not really. They're unwieldy indoors and they're not great for hunting big game. If OP could only afford one gun a 2 barrel combo 12 gauge will cover him but its not optimal if he can afford multiples. Motherfucker's going to have a sweet collection with not having kids.

Last edited:

Mace

Prophet of poon
Oct 29, 2015
Did your wife have to get used to the recoil of the H&K .40 s&w?
I know some folks have trouble with the .40.
She had shot my usp .45tac before but not regularly so I knew she'd adapt to the .40 from a 9mm. First couple shots threw her off a little but she started adjusting her grip and was acclimated in a few clips.

Sugar Rey Palpatine

Jul 9, 2021
Never owned or fired a real gun myself
but one of my brothers was in the military and he says based on his experience and what he was told a shotgun is the best bet for home security. It doesn't require pinpoint aiming because it is buckspray that covers a wide area.

One of his military buddies told his wife "honey you don't even have to look at the person you shoot. Just point in his direction pull the trigger and you'll hit him." Whats funny is he was against gun ownership and the second amendment for all of his life but as soon as he got married and had kids he pulled a 180 and got one as soon as he could.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Never owned or fired a real gun myself
but one of my brothers was in the military and he says based on his experience and what he was told a shotgun is the best bet for home security. It doesn't require pinpoint aiming because it is buckspray that covers a wide area.

One of his military buddies told his wife "honey you don't even have to look at the person you shoot. Just point in his direction pull the trigger and you'll hit him."
That's categorically false advice. At the distances you have inside a house the pellets barely have time to leave to cup and your pattern is going to be about the size of a fist.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Wow really? Because every time my brother brings up firing guns and their accuracy he always swears by that?
Home defense shotguns are going to be "Cylinder" bore. So he's looking at a 7.5inch spread in a 30 foot long hallway. I can pretty safely say most of us don't have hallways that long. If memory serves defense shooting typically occur at 7 yards of less, and at 7 yards that spread becomes 4.5 inches.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
That's categorically false advice. At the distances you have inside a house the pellets barely have time to leave to cup and your pattern is going to be about the size of a fist.
I really liking the idea of the glock 17, or the CZ p-10 C. From the reviews I’ve seen so far, these seem like a great start for someone in my shoes.

If my wife and I are shooting once a week for about an hour each time, how much ammo would you expect to go through?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I really liking the idea of the glock 17, or the CZ p-10 C. From the reviews I’ve seen so far, these seem like a great start for someone in my shoes.

If my wife and I are shooting once a week for about an hour each time, how much ammo would you expect to go through?
It's nothing for a person to go through 100 rounds in half an hour.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018

Let us know which route you take. Both are solid picks in my opinion. I have both and it would confirm my bias. I also have a CZ P-10S just sitting around. i dont care for the short grip length. Total impulse buy.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
The wife and I signed up for the class this morning. Very much looking forward to learning something new.