General Finally talked my wife into a gun safety course. What guns should I be purchasing for home safety/hunting?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Americans don't need guns. They pretend they do because they like shooting them, which is fine
It's really the only reason I have them.
What am I going to do, overthrow the government? Carry in my gated community and while I'm on a boat?
Even the few times I've enjoyed hunting is just an extension of liking to shoot them. I don't need to hunt for my food.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
What am I going to do, overthrow the government? Carry in my gated community and while I'm on a boat?
Even the few times I've enjoyed hunting is just an extension of liking to shoot them. I don't need to hunt for my food.
See at least you admit it

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Have you ever seen a 12 gauge, rifled bore, .5 inch barrel?
Nope
I'm in the market for one tho

The rifled part was meant to be a separate question FYI
I just know rifled barrel throws small shot to the outside of the pattern, that is all I can attest to

I would love to do some experiments and check out the patterns of snub nosed shorties with my own eyes...Just not interested in cutting off a barrel because of ruining functionality and also making it illegal

I'm not doubting you or that chart, just asking questions

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
You could. Shit, we've got a thread full of people saying the government was almost overthrown by a guy in a viking hat.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Nope
I'm in the market for one tho

The rifled part was meant to be a separate question FYI
I just know rifled barrel throws small shot to the outside of the pattern, that is all I can attest to

I would love to do some experiments and check out the patterns of snub nosed shorties with my own eyes...Just not interested in cutting off a barrel because of ruining functionality and also making it illegal

I'm not doubting you or that chart, just asking questions
When they measure patterns they measure the distance from the target to the shooter. Because of how shotgun powder works unless you're sub 18 inch barrel there's no difference. Under 18 inches of barrel velocity gets negatively effected and it might not even have the velocity to hit the target kind of like when rounds go off because they catch on fire. Basically nothing.

For what it's worth, a larger pattern would also be less lethal as you're counting on most of the pellets hitting your target for it to work. Rifles barrels shoot, hilarious donut shaped patterns.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Bro... we need to hang out. I just read the first post and we're on similar pages. I have a Sig P2022, a Benelli nova pump and an AR and have some instruction in each. I'm happy to go shooting with you guys at a range or in the Tillamook wilderness to try them out if you like.
go up Story Burn trailhead. lots of good shooting spots down the roads to your left once you start up the mountain.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
You think you dumbasses could fight urban warfare against the US military.

Haha
the US Military can barely hold it down when the enemy is a different skin color and wears a turban.

you think those dumbasses could fight urban warfare in the US?

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Isn't this the one that some dumbasses are using to blow their digits off

just paced it
I got a 38 footer

this house is small though, mostly hallway
your thinking about the keltec KSG a.k.a the John wick shot gun the irony is this far more lethal shotgun in the fostech origin 12 has a smaller learning curve than the supposedly safer KSG which is legal in CA and other liberal states.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
I have a CZ P-06, which is a .40
It has some snap to it. I love that pistol, and so do pretty much all of my friends that have shot it. But my wife would definitively not like shooting that one.

Don't know what it is like in your area, but .40 ammo has been scarce. And if you do find it, it is crazy expensive now. The last time I saw it available it was ~$40 a box (50 rounds) of the basic Winchester FMJ, which is about double the cost of what it used to be.

I like the .40 round, but I know not everyone does. I do wonder though how the CZ P-01 (9mm) feels compared to my .40
I hear ya. I saw the same thing last week, 37.99 for standard Winchester white box .40 cal. That’s crazy. I finally picked up the final 4 shell holders for the progressive reloader last week. I got about enough supply’s to put together 2000 9mm rounds. The only ammo I’ve been looking for is 10mm and 7.62x39 if I find it reasonable. I’ve become real fond of the AK lately.

If the p-01 is anything like the p-10c then it’ll shoot like a dream. I’ve been looking at one of those or the Cz 75. Or I might wait a while and splurge on a Shadow 2. I’ve really become a CZ hipster.

Then again I’ve really fell in love with the 10mm so I might fuck around and get a 1911 chambered in 10mm. I really want an over/under or a side by side for duck season too. I have some other things I need to liquidate before I do anything.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
Americans don't need guns. They pretend they do because they like shooting them, which is fine
I somewhat agree with you, in my case. I love to go to the range and let the dogs bark, and at any given time all of my guns are locked in the safe not ready for home defense. I can get to them quick but I got a sawed off hand rail and a pillow case full of D batteries and door knobs if anyone wants to fuck around and find out.

Not every American has a set of cobras for hands either, so I understand the need for home defense.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Dang bro, you got the bourgie EOTech. How do you like it?

I do own that same EOTech but that is not my gun. I am pending my NFA trust and suppressor stocks to come back in. Everything sold out right now. That's just an example of what it will look like when I get the suppressor. Everything sold out right now.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
I do own that same EOTech but that is not my gun. I am pending my NFA trust and suppressor stocks to come back in. Everything sold out right now. That's just an example of what it will look like when I get the suppressor. Everything sold out right now. That's just an example of what it will look like when I get the suppressor
I got the AA version. I figured after the world crumbles I’ll be able to find those batteries when I’m on Fury road. I really like it but I wish it was a shake awake though.
That’s a bummer everything is sold out but I like the example of what it‘ll look like when you get your suppressor.
How long you been waiting?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
If the p-01 is anything like the p-10c then it’ll shoot like a dream. I’ve been looking at one of those or the Cz 75. Or I might wait a while and splurge on a Shadow 2. I’ve really become a CZ hipster.
CZ SP-01 Shadow. Look into it.

I really want an over/under or a side by side for duck season too. I have some other things I need to liquidate before I do anything.
I've been toying with this for a couple years now. Browning does a camo Cynergy in 3.5.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
CZ SP-01 Shadow. Look into it.
At risk of sounding ignorant here, because this isn’t something that I follow or research closely. But isn’t it called the Phantom instead of the Shadow? Or are both of these options? With the SP01, one was composite while one was steel framed. Is the shadow something different?