General Finally talked my wife into a gun safety course. What guns should I be purchasing for home safety/hunting?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Some folks don’t like steel or aluminum cases for the range but I’ve never had an issue and I’ve shot the motherfuck out of it because I’m cheap.
I always buy brass, but that's really only because that's what my dad told me to do when I was growing up. But my CZ cycles steel and aluminum just fine.

For the range, I usually just buy standard Winchester FMJ (the one in the white boxes). Always been consistent for me so I just stuck with it. The few times I have bought ammo recently that hasn't always been available, so now I have a few boxes of Federal Eagle or whatever it's called. The 40 ain't all that cheap to shoot these days, so I haven't been to the range in some time now though.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
View attachment 44011So I just purchased this. Anyone ever use these?
I bet you wear a star's and stripes tank top now. It's a fucken bullet. Buy the cheapest and get proficient at it. Not that it matters as it's hard to tell how you will react in a life saving situation. My suggestion would be find the cheapest and just use it all the time. Or the one you shoot best with. That's a better way of saying it.

My dad has a 41 magnum that you can't get Ammo for so you would buy reloads at gun shows or make your own. Fuck me it was good fun playing Russian roulette with those rounds. I diddnt know if it was gonna be like shooting a desert eagle or a peashooter.

Not ideal for consistency

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
I always buy brass, but that's really only because that's what my dad told me to do when I was growing up. But my CZ cycles steel and aluminum just fine.

For the range, I usually just buy standard Winchester FMJ (the one in the white boxes). Always been consistent for me so I just stuck with it. The few times I have bought ammo recently that hasn't always been available, so now I have a few boxes of Federal Eagle or whatever it's called. The 40 ain't all that cheap to shoot these days, so I haven't been to the range in some time now though.
I hear ya. I’ve predominantly shot brass but if I found a good deal on steel or aluminum I’d get it for straight blasting on the range. I like the Winchester white box too, never had a problem with it, solid stuff. Same goes for the Federal American Eagle. For what it’s worth, I’ve noticed the Armscor and Herter’s feel a bit under powered, especially the Armscor. They were always cheaper, so I understand.

and yeah .40 is ridiculous right now.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
I bet you wear a star's and stripes tank top now. It's a fucken bullet. Buy the cheapest and get proficient at it. Not that it matters as it's hard to tell how you will react in a life saving situation. My suggestion would be find the cheapest and just use it all the time. Or the one you shoot best with. That's a better way of saying it.

My dad has a 41 magnum that you can't get Ammo for so you would buy reloads at gun shows or make your own. Fuck me it was good fun playing Russian roulette with those rounds. I diddnt know if it was gonna be like shooting a desert eagle or a peashooter.

Not ideal for consistency
Did you see the guy that had his 50 cal blow up in his face using reloads? Inconsistent accuracy and BANG! Bob’s your uncle.

View: https://youtu.be/1449kJKxlMQ

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I hear ya. I’ve predominantly shot brass but if I found a good deal on steel or aluminum I’d get it for straight blasting on the range. I like the Winchester white box too, never had a problem with it, solid stuff. Same goes for the Federal American Eagle. For what it’s worth, I’ve noticed the Armscor and Herter’s feel a bit under powered, especially the Armscor. They were always cheaper, so I understand.

and yeah .40 is ridiculous right now.
I've never bought Armscor or Herter, good to know. If you can find them, the 100 packs of the Winchester are going just under 50 bucks right now. It used to be $25ishi I think. But like you said, it is solid stuff. I usually use the same for my .357/38 revolver too. It's just always been reliable and consistent, and used to be widely available.

Is this ammo shit ever going to end?

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
I've never bought Armscor or Herter, good to know. If you can find them, the 100 packs of the Winchester are going just under 50 bucks right now. It used to be $25ishi I think. But like you said, it is solid stuff. I usually use the same for my .357/38 revolver too. It's just always been reliable and consistent, and used to be widely available.

Is this ammo shit ever going to end?
Herter’s is Bass Pro/Cabelas store brand. It’s not near as bad as the Armscor though. It’s generally a couple bucks cheaper for 50. I was seeing 40 cal for 45 50 bucks for 50 rounds and 36 for aluminum case. Bass pro had a gang of 9mm yesterday when I went in to look at over under 12 gauges, 17 bucks for 50. I didn’t grab any, I wanted 10mm but the fuckers didn’t have any. 223/556 was available too; loads of it at about 60 cents a round.

Looks like ammo is coming back, but I don’t know if it’ll get any cheaper.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Nah, just people who wear flags on clothing. The flag is meant to be fly, not worn on a pair of shorts and a tank top.
royal-navy-white-ensigns-and-union-jack-flying-above-admiralty-arch-C4C8C3.jpg

I never had to do it but they used to raise and lower this flag on ships and naval bases. Lord fucken help you if you somehow fucked up or God forbid let it touch the floor. Strange old things flags. Mean fuck all but thousands of people used to die to protect them on battlefields only 200 years ago.

Shit we had the argie flag in my hanger at work and that was from the 80s. People like flags.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
So a couple questions about ammo…

1. Which grain weight should I be considering? I’m looking to start purchasing ammo for my CZ, but I’m a little overwhelmed with all the different grain weights.

2. Versatile ammo. What’s going to give me the best home defense, while being a good range round? I figure I really should be practicing with something at least similar to what I would use for home defense?

I really appreciate everyone’s input.
147gr will shoot a little softer. Pretty much any of the "defense" rounds will be adequate for 2 legged targets. Make sure to practice with them to ensure that your gun will function properly with them.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
View attachment 44016

I never had to do it but they used to raise and lower this flag on ships and naval bases. Lord fucken help you if you somehow fucked up or God forbid let it touch the floor. Strange old things flags. Mean fuck all but thousands of people used to die to protect them on battlefields only 200 years ago.

Shit we had the argie flag in my hanger at work and that was from the 80s. People like flags.
You about done shitting up the thread?

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015

Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST tend to have good expansion, not a lot of fragmenting, and good penetration.

I shoot 115gr FMJ for target shooting, and 115gr Speer Gold Dot hollow points for self defense.

Since you are in the Portland area, head out to the Tillamook forest and hit the public land shooting ranges that we built a few years ago. Just be sure to pack out what you pack in.

map

IMG_20160723_105516.jpg

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015

Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST tend to have good expansion, not a lot of fragmenting, and good penetration.

I shoot 115gr FMJ for target shooting, and 115gr Speer Gold Dot hollow points for self defense.

Since you are in the Portland area, head out to the Tillamook forest and hit the public land shooting ranges that we built a few years ago. Just be sure to pack out what you pack in.

map

View attachment 44044
Thanks for the input!

My coworker was just telling me about those ranges. It’s funny, I drive out to the coastal rivers a lot, and I had no idea those places were out there. As far as packing out goes, I’m always doing that. I always have a 5 gallon bucket with me to pick up lazy peoples garbage.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Thanks for the input!

My coworker was just telling me about those ranges. It’s funny, I drive out to the coastal rivers a lot, and I had no idea those places were out there. As far as packing out goes, I’m always doing that. I always have a 5 gallon bucket with me to pick up lazy peoples garbage.
You might want to consider checking out the northwestfirearms forum. Every so often, they organize cleanups in the area. A bunch of people get together along with the cooperation/coordination of ODOF and spend the morning cleaning up the forest after less responsible shooters and meth heads that go out there to get high. At lunch time everyone gets together potluck style for burgers / dogs / whatever people brought, then a bunch of targets get setup and everyone spends the afternoon doing a group shoot. Everyone tends to be really nice and a lot of people will let you try their guns, so it is an easy way to get to shoot a bunch of guns you wouldn't otherwise have a chance to.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
You might want to consider checking out the northwestfirearms forum. Every so often, they organize cleanups in the area. A bunch of people get together along with the cooperation/coordination of ODOF and spend the morning cleaning up the forest after less responsible shooters and meth heads that go out there to get high. At lunch time everyone gets together potluck style for burgers / dogs / whatever people brought, then a bunch of targets get setup and everyone spends the afternoon doing a group shoot. Everyone tends to be really nice and a lot of people will let you try their guns, so it is an easy way to get to shoot a bunch of guns you wouldn't otherwise have a chance to.
This warms my heart.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
That sounds rad. I will check it out. Thanks.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I tell you what, guys. Having good neighbors is awesome. My neighbor just came back from Academy with 200 rounds for me. He was like “I know the hundred packs of .40 have been scarce, so I figured I’d grab you a couple”. And apparently we are now allowed to buy 4 boxes total at a time, which is up from two. So that’s good I guess. But prices aren’t going down. I’ve never used this ammo, but I’m sure it’s perfectly fine for the range. The Winchester I normally use is 165 grain, these are 180 so I’ll see how that feels.

I may actually go to the range sometime soon, it’s been quite a while.

A918D209-13B3-4214-94B6-1C9716526647.jpeg

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I tell you what, guys. Having good neighbors is awesome. My neighbor just came back from Academy with 200 rounds for me. He was like “I know the hundred packs of .40 have been scarce, so I figured I’d grab you a couple”. And apparently we are now allowed to buy 4 boxes total at a time, which is up from two. So that’s good I guess. But prices aren’t going down. I’ve never used this ammo, but I’m sure it’s perfectly fine for the range. The Winchester I normally use is 165 grain, these are 180 so I’ll see how that feels.

I may actually go to the range sometime soon, it’s been quite a while.

View attachment 44156
Remington UMC is a fine round.