Firas Zahabi explains why Conor McGregor gasses out in fights

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Conor McGregor may have the one-punch knockout power, but in the other end of the spectrum, his cardio has been suspect at times. Two notable losses of his career have been because of gassing out: UFC 196 in 2016 against Nate Diaz, and against Floyd Mayweather Jr. last August.

People point to poor conditioning, but for Tristar Gym head coach Firas Zahabi, there is a deeper root to the problem.

“It think it’s partly genetic,” Zahabi told Joe Rogan during the recent episode of the JRE MMA Show. “I call it the touch of death. He’s got that left hand, it’s the touch of death. That touch of death comes at a cost.”

“How do you have the touch of death? Where does…

Firas Zahabi explains why Conor McGregor tiring in fights is ‘partly genetic’

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015

View: https://youtu.be/Q2FvDU3gJkM

Conor McGregor has trumped for cycling over running for his cardio training, saying it benefits him more.
“I’ve been doing a lot of endurance work on the rowing machine, sprints on the treadmill; I’m doing everything cardio-related,” he said of his work in ensuring he stays strong over the full length of a UFC fight.

“I’ve been supplementing my rounds on rounds with cardio work. And this is one of them,” he added as he headed out on the bike with Dalby on a highway through the Nevada desert near his Las Vegas base.

“We do a specific heart rate at a specific wattage. For endurance it’s good because you’re not pounding the roads,” McGregor, who has had knee injuries in the past, said of cycling.

“If I was to run; you’re pounding the roads and it’s not good for the body.

“So I do the sprints on the treadmill and on the rowing machine. And then I do my endurance on the bike.”

McGregor added the ride seen in the first clip below was not an intense effort because he was now so close to his fight.

“That’s the last of my cardio training now so I’m very happy with it. It’s just a cruise; you flush out the legs and get a bit of endurance work.

“And it’s not bad on the body; it doesn’t damage the body at all. So I’m happy with it. I’m having a laugh out there to be honest; having a little buzz.”

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
People always look to "bro-science" everything.

I never thought it was that mysterious why he gassed. I'm not a fighter or trainer, but I've watched enough fights over the years to learn that if you throw a lot of strikes with full or near-full power, you're going to gas out. It's just common knowledge. Conor threw a lot of heat in the Diaz fights, especially the first one, and he couldn't get Nate out of there. Lots of spinning kicks and shit that missed.

Same with Floyd. He never had a boxing match in his life and suddenly he's going 12 rounds with the best ever. Floyd outsmarted him and made him burn up all his energy. No mystery.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
probably has to do with Conor's style, explosive bursts probably use up ton of energy, such as Conor's left (death touch), which is a finishing move and more he throws, more energy he spends.

Kind of like this finishing move, Akuma's raging demon

It's a finishing move, if executed correctly, KO's the opponent or drain ton of power but if missed, energy drains all the way

Conor usually knock guys out with one or two of the left but when facing guys with good chin/cardio like Diaz, he has trouble.
Conor spent too much energy and gassed, in both Diaz fights.

Genetics could be manipulated by using breathing methods like the Wim Hof who can control his autonomic nervous system.

I don't know why no one has told Conor about Wim Hof, that shit works.

probably has to do with Conor's style, explosive bursts probably use up ton of energy, such as Conor's left (death touch), which is a finishing move and more he throws, more energy he spends.

Kind of like this finishing move, Akuma's raging demon

It's a finishing move, if executed correctly, KO's the opponent or drain ton of power but if missed, energy drains all the way

Conor usually knock guys out with one or two of the left but when facing guys with good chin/cardio like Diaz, he has trouble.
Conor spent too much energy and gassed, in both Diaz fights.

Genetics could be manipulated by using breathing methods like the Wim Hof who can control his autonomic nervous system.

I don't know why no one has told Conor about Wim Hof, that shit works.