VID Firas Zahabi RDA-McGregor Prefight analysis

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
Pettis has little to no ability to break and create space.
He's got a decent guard game though, and I think RDA was just too heavy on top for him..Conor is much better in scrambles though that is true.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Can't say I disagree, the difference is Mendes was smaller than RDA..I trully think since he could do that to Pettis, he could probably do it to Conor...The issue with the Mendes fight is his jiujitsu also isn't as good (Firas said Conor was saying he'd just get back up and finish him if he got taken down, I don't remember it word for word myself, but I believe him). I think Conor will have a few tricks up his sleeve but I think the worry with the TD is RDA might need 1 or 2 to finish the fight.
The thing is it's relatively easy to catch Pettis flat footed at the cage and snag him in a clinch etc, if Conor's back is against the cage he is very light footed drops levels and moves well laterally from there. As I said it's slim evidence but I think he's a different prospect to hold against the cage, we'll see though.

I agree I doubt the first take down will be enough he'll probably get up, hopefully. I think he's a freak with regards to getting his pelvis under him and getting up it's something I see in videos not many do it as quickly or powerfully, think it's all that weird shit he does; time will tell.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
He's got a decent guard game though, and I think RDA was just too heavy on top for him..Conor is much better in scrambles though that is true.
I think that works against Pettis, though, as he is too willing to work from guard. He accepts the position and works his sub game, but if he can't get the sub then he starts to get worked over. I don't think McGregor will accept the position and will be immediately working to get back to his feet.

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015
The thing is it's relatively easy to catch Pettis flat footed at the cage and snag him in a clinch etc, if Conor's back is against the cage he is very light footed drops levels and moves well laterally from there. As I said it's slim evidence but I think he's a different prospect to hold against the cage, we'll see though.

I agree I doubt the first take down will be enough he'll probably get up, hopefully. I think he's a freak with regards to getting his pelvis under him and getting up it's something I see in videos not many do it as quickly or powerfully, think it's all that weird shit he does; time will tell.
Yup, he quickly builds the structure to get to his feet! He's very good in scrambles but its inevitable (unless he doesn't improve a lot from what we saw in the Mendes fight) that he gets wrestlefucked at some point, hope its not this one.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Yup, he quickly builds the structure to get to his feet! He's very good in scrambles but its inevitable (unless he doesn't improve a lot from what we saw in the Mendes fight) that he gets wrestlefucked at some point
To be fair he camped for Jose and was at least somewhat impaired it's not a great example, we need more data homes.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
We're going to get it with RDA if cmac doesn't snipe him with the left imo.
Nah I believe in Yoga and the power of Ido Portal, he'll be hard to put down and hold there it'll be work just doing that as Zeph @Zeph said, I hope it will be enough work to keep RDA occupied with that. I'm banking on the cut being a bit easier too.

P

Punch

Nah I believe in Yoga and the power of Ido Portal, he'll be hard to put down and hold there it'll be work just doing that as Zeph @Zeph said, I hope it will be enough work to keep RDA occupied with that. I'm banking on the cut being a bit easier too.
Maybe. I can't say for sure, but RDA has tremendous top game jiu jitsu.

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015
I certainly think Conor's power will carry, he'll be more energetic (since its his more natural weightclass).The scary thing for anyone at LW is how fast he was at FW...now he's coming up and they're generally slower the higher you go...kinda bro-science but you get my point.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
I certainly think Conor's power will carry, he'll be more energetic (since its his more natural weightclass).The scary thing for anyone at LW is how fast he was at FW...now he's coming up and they're generally slower the higher you go...kinda bro-science but you get my point.
And Dos Anjos is a twenty year athlete with that wear and tear.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Yeah, he's been at it for a long time, he has looked consistently better every time though...I think that Nick Curson stuff is doing wonders for him.
I just mean with regard to speed his conditioning and power are through the roof.

Ghost Bro

Nov 13, 2015
I just mean with regard to speed his conditioning and power are through the roof.
I'd give Conor the speed advantage..still think RDA's very fast though..in the lead up to the Pettis fight, RDA was training to get to pettis first so it was all based on speed, the problem RDA's gonna have is bad habits that he might've picked up from all these years

I'd also be curious to how he's gonna do with the leg kicks..Dammit Aldo, I wish we had an answer to this...cos

Nate was having a really bad time with them.

P

Punch

I'd give Conor the speed advantage..still think RDA's very fast though..in the lead up to the Pettis fight, RDA was training to get to pettis first so it was all based on speed, the problem RDA's gonna have is bad habits that he might've picked up from all these years

I'd also be curious to how he's gonna do with the leg kicks..Dammit Aldo, I wish we had an answer to this...cos

RDA has nasty MT. Nate was damn near crippled walking out of the cage.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015

Honestly I'm of the opinion people put too much store in the "Diaz leg kick theory". Yes both Nate and Conor's front legs are hanging out there but that only half the story Look at Nate's Head and shoulders they are both forward of his hips planting onto that foot. The only time Conor does that is 3/4 way through his straight left, the rest of the time his torso is projected forward head straight on top of his spine, perfect posture pretty much. That means his front foot is a lot lighter than Diaz when it does get clipped, he checks a lot better and he's less likely to be fully there because he can retreat faster.

Especially if the opponent throws kicks from the car park like the one above:D

P

Punch

Honestly I'm of the opinion people put too much store in the "Diaz leg kick theory". Yes both Nate and Conor's front legs are hanging out there but that only half the story Look at Nate's Head and shoulders they are both forward of his hips planting onto that foot. The only time Conor does that is 3/4 way through his straight left, the rest of the time his torso is projected forward head straight on top of his spine, perfect posture pretty much. That means his front foot is a lot lighter than Diaz when it does get clipped, he checks a lot better and he's less likely to be fully there because he can retreat faster.

Especially if the opponent throws kicks from the car park like the one above:D
I wonder if RDA eschews the MT for TD's, GNP, and grinding for the first 2 rounds. I think it'd be smarter than trying to leg kick right off the bat.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
I wonder if RDA eschews the MT for TD's, GNP, and grinding for the first 2 rounds. I think it'd be smarter than trying to leg kick right off the bat.
Ye that's the best plan for him cage trip grind smash as often as possible.