VID Floyd Mayweather won't be "brainwashed" into thinking Ali was better than him

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I gotta give it to Floyd. He is a great fighter, a great talker, and a brilliant businessman. Better than Ali, Robinson, etc? Who knows...people could argue it for years, and never agree. All I know is, this dude is poetry in motion inside the ropes & crafty as hell outside of them.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
The thing is, it's completely subjective. Just like comparing any great boxer from today to any in the past.

One thing about Ali, is by far and away, he faced tougher opponents than Floyd. I am NOT saying Floyd hand picks guys or faces shitty fighters. It's just the the golden era was full of dangerous, high level HW fighters. Ali fought them ALL. When you are fightng the absolute best possible guy every time you're out there, the chances of losing are a lot higher.

Let's not forget, Ali missed 3 and a half years of his prime when he skipped the draft. THREE AND A HALF YEARS! That's like Dominick Cruz level of absence if not more.

IMO, wins over

Sonny Liston x2
Prime Foreman when he was an unstoppable machine that no one even came close to beating
Frazier twice
Ernie Shavers
Ken Norton
Leon Spinks
Floyd Patterson twice
Jerry Quarry
Henry Cooper
Cleveland Williams

and more

Floyd's best wins are over

Vargas
Corrales
Castillo (and he LOST that first fight, too)
Oscar
Hatton
Mosley
Cotto
Canelo

Those guys are all awesome, great fighters. Champions. But how many of those guys are going down in the all time great list? Not many.

But Almost everyone I listed in Ali's names is a hall of famer, all time great. Liston, Foreman, Frazier, Norton, Patterson... etc. Floyd has never really beaten a guy that was as reputable as them.He has beaten great fighters. I'm a HUGE Floyd fan. I don't hate him because of his personalty. I love him because of his skills in the ring, and his defense that is like no other.

But just because Floyd never lost does not make him the greatest automatically. Rocky Marciano is not the greatest HW ever, but he's up there. He's not the clear cut, #1 guy, though, just because he never lost.

Ali's quality of opponents trumps Mayweathers. IMO, at least. Also, Ali finished A LOT of guys. The fact he finished Foreman when Foreman was KILLING EVERYONE, including knocking Joe Frazier down 6 times n 2 rounds... No one ever expected that. Floyd has never cme back from that kind of adversity to pull of a miraculous KO against a guy on equal level to him.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Like ok. Vitali Klitschko, in my honest opinion would beat Ali and any other HW from any time period if they were both in ther primes and fought.

But Vitali is not the greatest HW ever. He never had competition on the level of Ali or Joe Louis. Guys from the present are gonna be more skilled, athletic, strong, chemically enhanced, etc. But unless they destroy a murderer's row of all time greats the way Ali did, I don't think yo can rank them higher all time simply because they have not lost, which is a large part of why Floyd claims he's the best.

Chavez went like 80 fights without losing. But he was not killing an all time great hall of famer in nearly every bout. When the competition level is as high as these guys, they are gona lose. Floyd has faced some great guys, but how many of them will be remembered as all time great fighters?

Truth be told, Floyd should have a L on his record for the first Castillo fight, and it's not debatable. But hey it didn't happen.. Still though. Floyd never beat fighter after fighter after fighter who were all considered some f the greatest EVER, the way Ali did.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The thing is, it's completely subjective. Just like comparing any great boxer from today to any in the past.

One thing about Ali, is by far and away, he faced tougher opponents than Floyd. I am NOT saying Floyd hand picks guys or faces shitty fighters. It's just the the golden era was full of dangerous, high level HW fighters. Ali fought them ALL. When you are fightng the absolute best possible guy every time you're out there, the chances of losing are a lot higher.

Let's not forget, Ali missed 3 and a half years of his prime when he skipped the draft. THREE AND A HALF YEARS! That's like Dominick Cruz level of absence if not more.

IMO, wins over

Sonny Liston x2
Prime Foreman when he was an unstoppable machine that no one even came close to beating
Frazier twice
Ernie Shavers
Ken Norton
Leon Spinks
Floyd Patterson twice
Jerry Quarry
Henry Cooper
Cleveland Williams

and more

Floyd's best wins are over

Vargas
Corrales
Castillo (and he LOST that first fight, too)
Oscar
Hatton
Mosley
Cotto
Canelo

Those guys are all awesome, great fighters. Champions. But how many of those guys are going down in the all time great list? Not many.

But Almost everyone I listed in Ali's names is a hall of famer, all time great. Liston, Foreman, Frazier, Norton, Patterson... etc. Floyd has never really beaten a guy that was as reputable as them.He has beaten great fighters. I'm a HUGE Floyd fan. I don't hate him because of his personalty. I love him because of his skills in the ring, and his defense that is like no other.

But just because Floyd never lost does not make him the greatest automatically. Rocky Marciano is not the greatest HW ever, but he's up there. He's not the clear cut, #1 guy, though, just because he never lost.

Ali's quality of opponents trumps Mayweathers. IMO, at least. Also, Ali finished A LOT of guys. The fact he finished Foreman when Foreman was KILLING EVERYONE, including knocking Joe Frazier down 6 times n 2 rounds... No one ever expected that. Floyd has never cme back from that kind of adversity to pull of a miraculous KO against a guy on equal level to him.
Great fucking post Γαλάνης @Galanis ! This is why you need not try to dumb your shit down. Preach brother!