General Fly tying

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Good info thanks. You ever see any package deals online worth buying or is it better to piece it together? I love our local fly shop but they don't carry much low end of anything so those fly making kits, assuming they sell them, might be pretty pricey.
I got my first kit on amazon. Once I realized I really enjoyed it, that’s when I started making the upgrades to more expensive things.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I got my first kit on amazon. Once I realized I really enjoyed it, that’s when I started making the upgrades to more expensive things.
Nice man. I think I may start this up once our lakes freeze over. Be a good way to spend my winter afternoons. Looks like a good vice starts around $200? Then pick up a package/kit for rest of smaller items.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Nice man. I think I may start this up once our lakes freeze over. Be a good way to spend my winter afternoons. Looks like a good vice starts around $200? Then pick up a package/kit for rest of smaller items.
I got a good rotary vice for $110usd.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So now I'm going down the YT hole watching fly tying vids. This one says his shop has evenings where they provide all the tools and material needed to create your flies. They are also licensed so you can enjoy some beers while you work. Incredible.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So now I'm going down the YT hole watching fly tying vids. This one says his shop has evenings where they provide all the tools and material needed to create your flies. They are also licensed so you can enjoy some beers while you work. Incredible.
That sounds awesome. If there was a bait shop by me that did this for plastics I'd for sure be in.

How heavy are flys? I'm not a fly guy, more a live/cut bait man myself.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
That sounds awesome. If there was a bait shop by me that did this for plastics I'd for sure be in.

How heavy are flys? I'm not a fly guy, more a live/cut bait man myself.
Flies for the most part are extremely light. The fly line is what allows you to cast them. There are some heavier ones(steelhead flies), but their still light relative to lures.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
6DFEA5AB-3E5E-4A59-AB9D-26122B122BB0.jpeg So here are the first two that I ever tied. These were back in April. I was attempting a parachute Adams, and failing miserably.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
TheFifthScallop @Thefifthscallop how much space does one need to setup? We are close to selling our home and plan to rent over the fall/winter before we buy. If I bought the tools could I setup on a kitchen table or something small to keep me busy through the snow or is this something you need more of a dedicated area with space? I've never really considered doing this but now I'm browsing sites to order up some gear. What kits would you recommend? Let's say I have $300-$500 to invest here, what should I buy?
This is going to end in tears.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
What # line do you run?
My trout rod is a 9’ 5wt, and then I also have an 9’ 8wt single hand rod for bigger fish, and a 13’ #7 two handed rod for swinging. On my two handed rod I run a skagit head that’s 500grain with a sink tip setup. Depending on the flow the sink tip I use are t-10 and t-14.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
My trout rod is a 9’ 5wt, and then I also have an 9’ 8wt single hand rod for bigger fish, and a 13’ #7 two handed rod for swinging. On my two handed rod I run a skagit head that’s 500grain with a sink tip setup. Depending on the flow the sink tip I use are t-10 and t-14.
I don't even know what you just said. It's like fly fishers have a completely different language.

Last edited: