Former WEC champion Miguel Torres retires from MMA

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Miguel Torres, who is considered as one of the pioneers of the lighter weights, has decided to officially retire at 36-years of age. The former WEC champion took to social media to make the announcement.

As I sit here on the mat in my academy contemplating my life and all of the possibilities that can manifest from just mere choice, my heart feels too overburdened and overwhelmed to be able to seriously train for another fight. Wearing so many hats does not afford me the time to seriously do what is in my heart to do. When this journey started it was to make a name for myself, show everyone that I was not an ordinary man, to show all the little guys size doesn't…​

Former WEC champ Miguel Torres retires from MMA

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
He had a ton of fights. He doesn't really need the money with his gym.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Great career, had a helluva run in the WEC ..for a point in time I didn't think the guy was beatable ...but like all greats ..they all come crashing down, Torres had a fast decline ..but overall a great career.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Had not 1, but 2 of the longest win streaks in history (1 loss in 38 fights). Overall record of 44-9! Great fighter of the second generation of MMA fighters. Godspeed.

"People ask me how was my experience, my answer is bitter sweet, when you've risen from nothing to fly so high you burn your wings on the sun, the decent is a trip but once you're back where you started again nothing will ever be the same. Always wanted to make a mark and be a part of history, just didn't end up the way imagined when i was a kid.

When I close my eyes at night and I breathe deep, can still hear the roar of the crowd, the need to satisfy their lust for danger and excitement, it keeps me up at night it's so loud. Goodbye my love, thank you for the memories it was something else.

Thank you to all of my training partners and anyone who ever helped me train for a fight. Couldn't of done anything in my career without you."

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
He was always exciting to watch in the cage, and as important in establishing the light weight fighters as legit as any other fighter.

M

member 603

One of the nicest guys I've ever met in MMA... Every time I did a tournament in Chicago, he was super supportive, a great coach to his adults and kids, and a funny guy to shoot the shit with. True legend.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
One of the nicest guys I've ever met in MMA... Every time I did a tournament in Chicago, he was super supportive, a great coach to his adults and kids, and a funny guy to shoot the shit with. True legend.

Man that is awesome stuff right there.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Miguel was my favorite fighter once upon a time. One of the most dangerous active guards in MMA history.

I still think he beat DJ.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Miguel was my favorite fighter once upon a time. One of the most dangerous active guards in MMA history.

He was always in the running for GOAT back in the day ...his record spoke for itself and he was on top of the game for a long time before he dropped off.

Thats a guy that deserves a spot in the MMA Hall of Fame.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

Back in the glory days of WEC he was one of my favorite fighters. Damn, I miss WEC.

Agree about the DJ fight. That active guard was awesome to watch.

Best of luck to Miguel moving forward.

bully4me

Aug 10, 2015

Agree 100% Problem was judges thought top position was so dominant, even when Torres was using elbows to outstrike DJ and constantly going for subs. At that time Judges also didn't count leg strikes for much either, total BS. That fight had Torres outstriking DJ by over 30 strikes.

Would be intersting to see how judges would have scored that fight today and under the new criteria.

Was one of my Fav fighters back in the day, regardless of weight class. The dude always had so many tools and showed skill and technique wherever the fight went.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Started fighting professionally as a teenager. Nothing to prove, the man is a l3git killer and from what i understand a really great teacher. I think he will have some really great fighters coming out of his gym