Frankie Edgar vs. Chad Mendes to headline TUF 22 Finale

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Well, we did not get Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson as the main event of the The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale, in December, but Sean Shelby has us covered. Former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and three-time featherweight title challenger Chad Mendes will go at it for five rounds in the main event, as it was reported by Lance Net.

Plus, it goes down just one day before Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor fight to unify the featherweight belt.

Edgar is riding a four-fight win streak with victories over the likes of Urijah Faber, Cub Swanson, B.J. Penn and Charles Oliveira. In fact, "The Answer" remains undefeated since his 2013 unanimous decision loss to Aldo.

Chad Mendes, on the other hand, will try to rebound from his TKO loss to Conor McGregor in a fight that he took on very short notice for the interim featherweight title last July. Before that, Mendes knocked out Ricardo Lamas in the first round last April.

The TUF 22 Finale card goes down on December 11 in Las Vegas.

LINK: Report: Frankie Edgar vs. Chad Mendes to headline TUF 22 Finale - Bloody Elbow

802kmighty

Sub adubba dub dub!
Aug 25, 2015
How long does it take to heal from a concussion?...That doesn't matter this will be fucking crazy!How many rounds will it go?Because even if its all five I will be on the edge of my seat.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This isn't grey Maynard here, if Frankie gets clipped chad will put him down I think. That said this is a great fight

Not sure who I'm leaning towards yet

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This is a great fight on paper, but no way should Chad be fighting in what basically amounts to a number one contender fight.
I dunno. He did the ufc a favor taking that fight short notice and was winning until he gassed. He is still one of the top guys in the division imo he doesn't need to waste 4 years bumping off future contenders

Weidman's right nut

Conservative to the bone
Jul 6, 2015
I dunno. He did the ufc a favor taking that fight short notice and was winning until he gassed. He is still one of the top guys in the division imo he doesn't need to waste 4 years bumping off future contenders
I get it and he is clearly one of the top 3 guys in the division, but........if he beats Edgar you have effectively eliminated a top contender. And by doing so you have really only given yourself 1 viable opponent for McGregor should he beat Aldo....unless you're throwin Holloway in there, but I think he still needs 1 more fight.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Mendes couldn't have asked for a better fight.

Hopefully they use the small cage and if they do Edgar will have nowhere to hide.

Mendes round 2 TKO

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
They rarely hand the loser of a title fight/interim the next guy with a claim up. This smacks of hoping Chad knocks off Frankie who is a legit (and bigger IMO) threat to Conor because Chad is the one contender that could currently do it.They desperately want Cerrone to sit and wait but they will throw everything at Frankie to stop him from it. I'd have no problem with him fighting Holloway as he still has the legit upper hand in that fight as he should from his spot that he's earned and like Cerrone could sit and wait.

Normally you give the contender who lost, an easier restart fight for them and is a low odds opportunity for someone to enter the top 5 on a run but not known to be the contender's level yet.

EG. Hendricks vs Brown.

People complain all the time that contenders like Jacare and Rockhold(the two top guys) should not have fought (and it turns out they didn't) an eliminator cause it sends one contender back down and now it's perfectly fine if it happens to Frankie apparently. Pick a stance on it.

Last edited:

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
This is an excellent fight.

Forget about rankings and belts and contenders and all that for a moment and just enjoy it.

Chad vs. Frankie and Jose vs. Conor are the fights we've been waiting for. With a surging Holloway, FW is practically in its Hagler/Hearns/Duran/Leonard era.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
This is an excellent fight.

Forget about rankings and belts and contenders and all that for a moment and just enjoy it.

Chad vs. Frankie and Jose vs. Conor are the fights we've been waiting for. With a surging Holloway, FW is practically in its Hagler/Hearns/Duran/Leonard era.
You know what? Thank you for this post as I have, for many years, bitched and moaned about alterior motives and jumped on the bandwagon of hatred about fights..and ignored/missed the beauty of high level competitors battling it out.....you are correct, let's just enjoy the fights that are coming our way.......and frankly, the division one up from these guys is loaded also.......agree that this is the hagler/hearns/Duran/Leonard of this sport.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
You know what? Thank you for this post as I have, for many years, bitched and moaned about alterior motives and jumped on the bandwagon of hatred about fights..and ignored/missed the beauty of high level competitors battling it out.....you are correct, let's just enjoy the fights that are coming our way.......and frankly, the division one up from these guys is loaded also.......agree that this is the hagler/hearns/Duran/Leonard of this sport.
And the two above those a killer nests too, it's exciting times.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
There's probably 2 people @ 145 pounds in mma that can take Chad down and Frankie is one of them. Will Chad's psyche be able to handle being put on his back for the first time? I think not. It looks like the UFC wants the state of NJ to take out Team Alpha Male 1 by 1.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Very similar styles. A match up I've wanted to see for quite a while now. Edgar takes it too. He's as game as they come.

Wrestling wise they're pretty much even. Both guys are hard to take down. Although imo Frankie has the better mma wrestling. I can see Frankie attempting more takedowns than Mendes. Mendes will be content to keep it on the feet and on the feet Frankie will beat him to the punch and decision him.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Mendes' Power could be the difference in this fight...

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Mendes' Power could be the difference in this fight...
Oh I'm sure Mendes will crack him for sure. Still going with Frankie though. He'll stick and move and point fight his way to a unanimous decision with a few takedown attempts thrown in there.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Oh I'm sure Mendes will crack him for sure. Still going with Frankie though. He'll stick and move and point fight his way to a unanimous decision with a few takedown attempts thrown in there.
You very well could be right..gonna be a great fight..I wouldn't bet money on it.