Funny thing about the UFC & WWE TV deals

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Once they were announced, both had horrendous ratings/viewership
WWE had the two worst back to back RAW's in about 20 years & UFC on Friday drew under 600k

M

member 3289

Friday is a shit day for fights. I get why Bellator does it (to avoid directly competing with the UFC).

FrankieNYC @FrankieNYC do you know why the UFC scheduled this past event on a Friday?

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Friday is a shit day for fights. I get why Bellator does it (to avoid directly competing with the UFC).

FrankieNYC @FrankieNYC do you know why the UFC scheduled this past event on a Friday?
No clue

Bellator does it more from a network POV from what I heard.
They tried to build their Fridays
But now with the network re-branding & CMT, WTF knows?

M

member 3289

No clue

Bellator does it more from a network POV from what I heard.
They tried to build their Fridays
But now with the network re-branding & CMT, WTF knows?
I like having the whole day to get excited about a fight card. Can't do that when I'm working all day (on Friday).

M

member 3289

Oops ... maybe you were right about NYers?
lol
I'm gonna deny that you're from New York just like Trump denies climate change.

It may not make any fucking sense, but I can't accept any other reality.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Frankie, havent the UFC's TV ratings been trending down for quite some time now?

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
So you think they're at rock bottom right now & ESPN will help them rise?
My opinion on the ESPN is varied
ESPN as far as everything I heard (from reliable people) plan to push UFC on Sportscenter in a way Fox never did. Plus since they will be a PPV distributor through ESPN+, they will push PPV unlike Fox

but most of the content is on ESPN+. Now that can be good, bc c-level shows won't have ratings to be scrutinized.
But the prelims to PPV & ESPN cards, I have no idea if they will be a top priority for ESPN or if they will be on ESPN-2, etc.
Nobody knows how the events will be scheduled.

But they over-paid for the OTT content for sure, so UFC had to take it.

ESPN is putting a lot of faith in UFC as far as putting ESPN+ on the map, so I expect a lot of coverage

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Wild @Wild
Take Fridays card
Next year that card would have been on ESPN+, so there would be no ratings expectations & no talk of the card "bombing".
It would just be discussed on the merit of the event & that was pretty good.

So the cards that are for diehards only (like Fri) will be only available for diehards that have the app or other sports nuts that might check it out.

The biggest thing IMO, is how ESPN will promote individual fighters
If UFC 225 was in 2019, would we see Covington all over ESPN making headlines by his comments?
Things like that, UFC desperately needs.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Wild @Wild
The biggest thing IMO, is how ESPN will promote individual fighters
If UFC 225 was in 2019, would we see Covington all over ESPN making headlines by his comments?
Things like that, UFC desperately needs.
100% agree. The UFC is obviously unwilling, or unable, to do it themselves.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
100% agree. The UFC is obviously unwilling, or unable, to do it themselves.
Not that they do a great job, but its tough to promote someone that only fights 2x a year, unless that fighter has "it".

Look at the two worst drawing champs:
Mighty Mouse did receive a lot of Fox hype. They promoted him as P4P best with commercials for his last Fox card & it bombed. NFL fans have no desire to see a guy smaller than the punter wrestle lol
Nunes main evented two 1m buy cards and beat the two most popular females in exciting fashion. That alone should have made her bigger than Holly, but nobody cares about her

Sometimes people just don't care.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Not that they do a great job, but its tough to promote someone that only fights 2x a year, unless that fighter has "it".

Look at the two worst drawing champs:
Mighty Mouse did receive a lot of Fox hype. They promoted him as P4P best with commercials for his last Fox card & it bombed. NFL fans have no desire to see a guy smaller than the punter wrestle lol
Nunes main evented two 1m buy cards and beat the two most popular females in exciting fashion. That alone should have made her bigger than Holly, but nobody cares about her

Sometimes people just don't care.

I have to disagree, they did horrible promoting. First of all Nunes did not even receive any promotion for one of the biggest fights in WMMA's history against Ronda. WME directly work with Ronda outside of MMA, she is a client of theirs, complete conflict of interest and the promotion was all on Ronda and not on Nunes, everyone said this, and it was shocking because Nunes was the favorite.

I watch NFL like I watch MMA. There was barely any promotion for Mighty Mouse, let's not act like lazy promotion was some kind of good promoting. At most you would see a 2 second pop up at the tail end of a commercial. Their was no clear cut promotion. Then you got the NFL that can take boring guys like Peyton and Barry Sanders, and make them huge stars with commercials. Now that is promotion. DasRy

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
I have to disagree, they did horrible promoting. First of all Nunes did not even receive any promotion for one of the biggest fights in WMMA's history against Ronda. WME directly work with Ronda outside of MMA, she is a client of theirs, complete conflict of interest and the promotion was all on Ronda and not on Nunes, everyone said this, and it was shocking because Nunes was the favorite.

I watch NFL like I watch MMA. There was barely any promotion for Mighty Mouse, let's not act like lazy promotion was some kind of good promoting. At most you would see a 2 second pop up at the tail end of a commercial. Their was no clear cut promotion. Then you got the NFL that can take boring guys like Peyton and Barry Sanders, and make them huge stars with commercials. Now that is promotion. DasRy
Mighty Mouse had an entire season of TUF dedicated to finding him a challenger. He got a push for sure.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Mighty Mouse had an entire season of TUF dedicated to finding him a challenger. He got a push for sure.
Coaching tuf is not enough promotion how many people watch fs1 regularly and watch that show

Outside of Conor the ufc can’t promote worth shit

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
Coaching tuf is not enough promotion how many people watch fs1 regularly and watch that show

Outside of Conor the ufc can’t promote worth shit
he wasn't the coach, the winner of the season got to challenge Mighty Mouse for the title

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Absolutely
There are many things to rip UFC for, but MM & Nunes are two that were not on them.
Nobody cares about either.
you can't force that.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
he wasn't the coach, the winner of the season got to challenge Mighty Mouse for the title
Yeah that is not promotion, you know what promotion is?

It's getting mighty mouse in commercials, getting might mouse to a cameo during halftime of an NFL game, getting mighty mouse involved in movies, having him present awards at award shows etc...that is promtion, WME is feckless and stupid, they failed promoting mighty mouse and they have no ability to promote anyone lol

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Absolutely
There are many things to rip UFC for, but MM & Nunes are two that were not on them.
Nobody cares about either.
you can't force that.

Candidly talking, stop lying. They did not even promote Nunes when she fought Rousey becasue WME represents Rousey and all the promo was for Rousey, why are you ignoring that part, that's not straight.

And read my earlier post, they do the laziest shittiest promotion of any major sports org, let's not bullshit and call chicken shit chicken salad

Last edited: