Fury vs Wilder 3 is getting ridiculously overrated

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
This fight was entertaining as fuck. Watching Deontay Wilder live keeps you on the edge of your seat because you know he can, and nearly did, end the fight at any moment. The perseverance and threat of Wilder kept it constantly engaging.

But the talk about this being one of the best fights ever is insane. It was a very one-sided mauling. Everyone is acting like they have never seen a dominant fighter suffer knockdowns in fights they were otherwise easily winning. It happened to Fury vs Steve Cunningham. It happens all the time.

This was a mugging. This was not Ali vs Frazier. Or Tua vs Ibeabuchi. Or even Klitschko vs Joshua. It was too one-sided to be ranked anywhere near the best fights ever.

M

member 3289

IMG_20211010_095714.jpg

The 10-7 round makes it look like less of a blowout on the cards. In reality, Wilder won 3/10 rounds (rounds 1,4,5) while getting absolutely obliterated in the other rounds, especially round 7 on.

Of course everyone knew Wilder could end the fight with one punch but even the threat of that gradually diminished along with Wilder's ability to block or evade big punches from Fury.

I may have called it the GOAT heavyweight boxing match out of pure excitement. It was as entertaining a boxing match as you'll ever see, but no it wasn't very competitive.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
View attachment 49240

The 10-7 round makes it look like less of a blowout on the cards. In reality, Wilder won 3/10 rounds (rounds 1,4,5) while getting absolutely obliterated in the other rounds, especially round 7 on.

Of course everyone knew Wilder could end the fight with one punch but even the threat of that gradually diminished along with Wilder's ability to block or evade big punches from Fury.

I may have called it the GOAT heavyweight boxing match out of pure excitement. It was as entertaining a boxing match as you'll ever see, but no it wasn't very competitive.
Rounds 5 and 1 are also pretty marginal things to be using in Wilder's favor. I think Fury won round 5, and while Wilder won round 1, Fury still landed the best shot of the round. I've never seen a few body jabs in an uneventful feeling out round make people jizz their pants so hard before.

The more you realize that Wilder was only ever in control of the fight in one round after Fury got sloppy, the more you realize how idiotic it is to call this one of the best fights ever.

'I was as entertained in the moment as I have been for any fight' - perfectly reasonable statement.

'Best fight ever' - completely retarded.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
View attachment 49240

yeah, the other night, you got A LITTLE EXCITED DURING THAT FIGHT lol

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Imo, we went from the Teamquestnorth to the CMNH to the (Former) Maycee Barber Fan era of hottest combat sports takes on this board. Would everyone agree with that sentiment?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
This was a mugging. This was not Ali vs Frazier. Or Tua vs Ibeabuchi. Or even Klitschko vs Joshua. It was too one-sided to be ranked anywhere near the best fights ever.
I think you'll find a direct correlation between people who make "best fight ever" comments and people who have no idea who anyone you've listed is, with the exception of Ali.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
I think you'll find a direct correlation between people who make "best fight ever" comments and people who have no idea who anyone you've listed is, with the exception of Ali.
A fair few boxing commentators were getting in on the act, not just casuals. But the biggest offenders I've realised were MMA alumni, so this is mostly true.

The MMA 'boxing fan' (watches one boxing match every 2 years) has always been the most retarded species on the internet.

M

member 1013

A fair few boxing commentators were getting in on the act, not just casuals. But the biggest offenders I've realised were MMA alumni, so this is mostly true.

The MMA 'boxing fan' (watches one boxing match every 2 years) has always been the most retarded species on the internet.
Who is ur top 5 all time HWs of GoAt bruv

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
The actual top 5 HWs or some 5'7, 160-pound guys from the 1890s that I will claim as the top 5 HWs to flex the boxing knowledge I just learned on wikipedia 8 minutes ago?

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Let's be real, there's a LOT of HW ATGs who do no better then Wilder has against Tyson Fury, and a lot of them do far worse against him.

For a start, he's just too fucking big for most of them. For example, George Foreman was considered a monster back in the '70s. Fury has 6 inches height, 7 inches reach and 50 pounds on him. And a chin that is rock solid. And he's a far better technical boxer.

??

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
After careful consideration, my all-time top 5 is:

Fighting Paddy Wagon
Gentleman Jim Crow
Shaun 'Salvatore di Pasquale' O'Shaughnessy
Boxcar Lennie Small
Lightbulb...just Lightbulb, he was like Cher.

These are clearly the best ever if you know your history.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Lenny McLean would have ko’d any and all hw’s…..end of story