Gabi Garcia discusses Rizin drama, freak show criticism, and tougher opponents

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

Gabi Garcia had a year to forget in 2017.

The jiu-jitsu ace competed twice in July in Japan, but both fights ended in no-contests due to an illegal soccer kick in Shootboxing and an unintentional eye poke in MMA. Garcia had a chance to end the year on a better note at Rizin’s Dec. 29 card in Saitama, but only entered the ring to apologize.

Garcia was heavily criticized for accepting an MMA fight with 53-year-old Shinobu Kandori, who hasn’t fought in 17 years, and the criticism became even worse after she showed up 26 pounds overweight. The fight was canceled, and Garcia returned to California with nothing to show for it.

In a lengthy interview with MMA Fighting on Wednesday night, Garcia opened up about what went wrong before her fight, the company’s decision to continue booking her against older opponents, and what the future holds for her in MMA....

Source/more: Gabi Garcia discusses Rizin drama, freak show criticism, and tougher opponents - MMA Fighting

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
This is a good interview, whether you like her or not. I thought it was interesting.

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
That was a good read.

It's weird when you realize that huge pile of muscle is insecure and self conscious.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
She is the female bob sapp
She's actually very skilled in one area of fighting though (BJJ). Bob was just a massive punching bag. That said, RIZIN either needs to get her some girls her size (or close to it) to fight, or sideline her. She's become a sideshow (like Bob).

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
She's actually very skilled in one area of fighting though (BJJ). Bob was just a massive punching bag. That said, RIZIN either needs to get her some girls her size (or close to it) to fight, or sideline her. She's become a sideshow (like Bob).
bob beat prime ernesto hoost twice in kickboxing .bob didnt become a joke till late in his career .rizin needs to find he a challenge or it cheapens their brand.her fighting old ladys who havent fought in 17 years is too much of a freakshow.they could dig up either a big woman or a large woman who is equally skilled in one discipline as gabi is in bjj.if they are going to let her continue to fight freakshow fights then put her in vs a female karate champion or kickboxer,hell dig up a russian bodybuilder or pro wrestler for all i care but just make sure they arent 57 years old and 5 ft 2.they will probably never find anyone truely her size but there has to be a 6 ft 2 strong fit woman who is willing to take a shot at her somewhere in the world.let her opponent juice up for a year and set her up for the first fair fight of her life

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
That was a good read.

It's weird when you realize that huge pile of muscle is insecure and self conscious.
Honestly, I can't even begin to imagine what sort of childhood and teenage years she had with her build and looks. I can't imagine it was a very flattering one.

TedCzech

Ted Czech
Jan 11, 2016

Gabi Garcia had a year to forget in 2017.

The jiu-jitsu ace competed twice in July in Japan, but both fights ended in no-contests due to an illegal soccer kick in Shootboxing and an unintentional eye poke in MMA. Garcia had a chance to end the year on a better note at Rizin’s Dec. 29 card in Saitama, but only entered the ring to apologize.

Garcia was heavily criticized for accepting an MMA fight with 53-year-old Shinobu Kandori, who hasn’t fought in 17 years, and the criticism became even worse after she showed up 26 pounds overweight. The fight was canceled, and Garcia returned to California with nothing to show for it.

In a lengthy interview with MMA Fighting on Wednesday night, Garcia opened up about what went wrong before her fight, the company’s decision to continue booking her against older opponents, and what the future holds for her in MMA....

Source/more: Gabi Garcia discusses Rizin drama, freak show criticism, and tougher opponents - MMA Fighting
Interesting quote here "my physical therapist checked my blood pressure. She asked me if it was normal of my blood pressure to go up and down like that, and it was not." Ol' Guilherme, a fellow Brazilian, wasn't about to question whether her hypertension was caused by her steroid use, now was he?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Interesting quote here "my physical therapist checked my blood pressure. She asked me if it was normal of my blood pressure to go up and down like that, and it was not." Ol' Guilherme, a fellow Brazilian, wasn't about to question whether her hypertension was caused by her steroid use, now was he?
What reporter would, Brazilian or not?

TedCzech

Ted Czech
Jan 11, 2016
Crazy that Sapp TKOed Ernesto Hoost 2x, a guy considered to be one of the best ever in kickboxing.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Crazy that Sapp TKOed Ernesto Hoost 2x, a guy considered to be one of the best ever in kickboxing.
Yeah after seeing the freak show that turned into later on, it's crazy to think he was able to do that.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
This is a good interview, whether you like her or not. I thought it was interesting.
Agreed. It made me realize that Gabi isn't interested in freak show fights yet the Japanese market really wants them. She realizes right now that Rizin is trying to win the Japanese market first and will aim internationally after they do that. She came across very well there.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Not signing off on that. He got Hoost.

TedCzech

Ted Czech
Jan 11, 2016
Kind of a different caliber of reporting. This is MMA media we're talking about.
I don't know about Guilherme, but there are plenty of experienced, educated reporters in MMA. Guilherme works for MMA Fighting, owned by Vox Media, which has, over the past few years, attempted to establish itself as the top MMA reporting destination. Not to mention, ESPN's rep has been tarnished by its immersion in Kneelgate/SJW crap. ... that said, here's Inside MMA's Kenny Rice talking with Josh Barnett, who popped 3, maybe 4 times, asking him flat-out if he juiced before the Affliction III fight with Fedor: Transcript of Josh Barnett interview on Inside MMA talking about steroids | FightOpinion.com – Your Global Connection to the Fight Industry.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I don't know about Guilherme, but there are plenty of experienced, educated reporters in MMA. Guilherme works for MMA Fighting, owned by Vox Media, which has, over the past few years, attempted to establish itself as the top MMA reporting destination. Not to mention, ESPN's rep has been tarnished by its immersion in Kneelgate/SJW crap. ... that said, here's Inside MMA's Kenny Rice talking with Josh Barnett, who popped 3, maybe 4 times, asking him flat-out if he juiced before the Affliction III fight with Fedor: Transcript of Josh Barnett interview on Inside MMA talking about steroids | FightOpinion.com – Your Global Connection to the Fight Industry.
The Barnett Affliction test fail is possibly the least hard hitting question one could ask. 3 time cheat Barnett is in no position to object. Kenny Rice is not a reporter and has openly shilled for the UFC when real issues like unionization have come up on the show. MMA Media is still mostly fan based. Very few ask true probing questions based on accountability.

TedCzech

Ted Czech
Jan 11, 2016
The Barnett Affliction test fail is possibly the least hard hitting question one could ask. 3 time cheat Barnett is in no position to object. Kenny Rice is not a reporter and has openly shilled for the UFC when real issues like unionization have come up on the show. MMA Media is still mostly fan based. Very few ask true probing questions based on accountability.
Your question was "What reporter would, Brazilian or not?" Answered you twice there, chief.

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
I would have far more respect for Rizin if they made a strong effort to dredge up an opponent for Gabi that might plausibly be competitive.

What's strange is this is actually what happened with Gabi's first three fights. She fought fighters with little experience, but they were all legit athletes who weren't absurdly outsized or geriatric.

Rizin feeding her 50-something pro-wrestlers just reflects badly on the promotion and makes me less interested in tuning in. I don't mind the occasional freakshow fights where it's skill vs. size. Like, Fedor or Cro Cop fighting someone who looks like a growth hormone science experiment gone horribly evil, that's fine by me. There's the plausible illusion of an upset there, like a fight between Godzilla and the much larger King Ghidorah: you know who should win, but damn if it won't be a fun time finding out.

Having a young, athletic giant with legit grappling skills fighting a much smaller grandmother who needs a paycheck isn't funny, or entertaining, or novel, it's just cringe-inducing. Fucking stop it Japan, you're better than this!!