Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
The garden is going bonkers with this hot dry summer.

My spaghetti squash is doing better than ever before. From two plants I have about a dozen squash already about the size of a softball.

Tore out the pea patch last weekend, the dog, pulled them over helping herself to a snack. So now I have an empty bed to either plant some carrots asap or wait a couple weeks and get in some crops for fall / winter production.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015

3rd year gardening in our backyard.
I got like 8-10 tomato plants and roughly 8 various hot pepper plants. They were on special that's why.
On the right you can see my potted grapevine my bean plants and my beehive.
Been an urban beekeeper for the last 4 years or so...

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
You maintain those with neighbors around? How does that work?
I'm lucky. My next door neighbour is a commercial building. They don't care. It's a parking lot!
And the bees are barely noticeable. That's the magic.
For an urban setting it's pretty good for my bees. The botanical garden is within reach along with various other green spaces.
This years honey harvest is gonna be good!

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015

He loves the garden.
It's a giant litter box for him. Lol
Now that the plants are all very bushy and covering most of the garden he has no room to take a shit. I was getting annoyed with all the cleaning lol

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Do you clean up after him or just mix it in as fertilizer? I'm still having massive cat shit troubles. Found two big turd piles today. :(
I cleaned it if it's an edible plant (vegetable etc). If not I leave it there or give it to my climbers and roses. More pics of those too coming.
But yeah...
Pain in the ass.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Do you clean up after him or just mix it in as fertilizer? I'm still having massive cat shit troubles. Found two big turd piles today. :(
Easy tip for fertilizing: food scraps.
Leftover veggies bread pasta. Etc.
No meat (Duh) or citrus fruit (too acidic).
Compost it or just drop it there if you have no aesthetic concern. My garden is covered with rotting veggies, corn husk/cobs banana peels and we don't care.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016

3rd year gardening in our backyard.
I got like 8-10 tomato plants and roughly 8 various hot pepper plants. They were on special that's why.
On the right you can see my potted grapevine my bean plants and my beehive.
Been an urban beekeeper for the last 4 years or so...
I got a half dozen various hot pepper plants rocking out this year.. I always make my own hot sauce at the end of the growing season.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
I got a half dozen various hot pepper plants rocking out this year.. I always make my own hot sauce at the end of the growing season.
Awesome
I got jalapenos, cayenne and something else I cant remember.
Id love one day to grow some of the spiciest peppers but dont know where to find seeds.
Any suggestions?

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Awesome
I got jalapenos, cayenne and something else I cant remember.
Id love one day to grow some of the spiciest peppers but dont know where to find seeds.
Any suggestions?
Go on Amazon.ca, they sell everything.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
I just looked, they have ghost pepper seeds.
Holy shit you were right.
Any recommandations for Quebec weather?
My guess : start them early with lights inside and plant them after the last frost.
Or should I just grow them inside.
Freeloading Rusty @MC Gusto what you say?

The peppers I grow in my garden are pretty spicy but you know, if I grow the reaper or some scotch bonnet I'd love to grow them to their full potential knowwhaddaimsayin?

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
My guess : start them early with lights inside and plant them after the last frost.

The peppers I grow in my garden are pretty spicy but you know, if I grow the reaper or some scotch bonnet I'd love to grow them to their full potential knowwhaddaimsayin?
Dude, I'd be more likely to shit in your garden than know how to grow something.

Years ago I had a small garden with 8-ball squash, some sort of peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, and basil and cilantro inside. They were all my little babies even though I had no idea wtf I was doing.

I should've tried this year, dammit!

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016

I grow mine in a greenhouse. Full sun until mid afternoon, then I pull some bamboo blinds over the glass roof to protect them from the intense afternoon sun.

I get all my seeds from Westcoast Seeds: Hot Peppers Archives |

I havent tried the hottest of the hot peppers, usually go with the edible types ;)

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
I grow mine in a greenhouse. Full sun until mid afternoon, then I pull some bamboo blinds over the glass roof to protect them from the intense afternoon sun.

I havent tried the hottest of the hot peppers, usually go with the edible types ;)
West coast. They sell on amazon. They're reliable then?
I just found some guy who sells hot pepper plants at the biggest farmers market here. I might be in luck yes.
I grow hot peppers because I like spicy food but I also like to test some of my friends who are serious spice freaks eg : spicy wings etc. So I get them to taste my produce. The comments ranged from nice to potent.
I'd love to give them a serious/dangerous challenge such as the reaper. It'd make for hilarious videos.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Definitely get the cat shit out of there if it's in your edible plant gardens. Ok to leave it in otherwise, but you don't want that kind of fertilizer for your food.

I mix up some essential oils and water in my pump sprayer and spray around the perimeter of our garden boxes. That's done a pretty good job of keeping our cat out.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I mix up some essential oils and water in my pump sprayer and spray around the perimeter of our garden boxes. That's done a pretty good job of keeping our cat out.
Which oils in particular? I read about this technique recently, but heard it can be fairly toxic to them.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

Do your peppers do poorly if you don't shade them?

We grow jalapeños, Thai chilis, and piquin peppers and they thrive in full sun exposure and Texas heat. I never shade them and they produce like crazy.