Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Which oils in particular? I read about this technique recently, but heard it can be fairly toxic to them.
We've used lemongrass, citronella, and citrus oils with good success. I think peppermint and eucalyptus are also supposed to work, but haven't tried those.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
We've used lemongrass, citronella, and citrus oils with good success. I think peppermint and eucalyptus are also supposed to work, but haven't tried those.
I tried citrus concentrate earlier this year but it didn't seem to have much effect. Or if it did, it didn't last long. How often do you apply?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I tried citrus concentrate earlier this year but it didn't seem to have much effect. Or if it did, it didn't last long. How often do you apply?
Maybe it wasn't strong enough? Maybe try citronella, it may be stronger smelling?

In the beginning I was doing it about once a week. I had a batch made up and just sitting in a pump sprayer, so it was easy to just grab it and spray real quick. But application intervals depend on if you've had rain, or if it's been washed away by watering, etc. I kind of slacked off on it after a while but would still apply after a rain or when I happened to think about it. I think our cat learned that the gardens were a no go after a while because even when i slacked off she stopped going in there.

Also, and you probably already know, this is a perimeter thing. Don't spray on your plants or soak the soil where you water. Don't be afraid to apply heavy around the perimeter. I built garden boxes, so I would spray the wood all the way around and then the grass outside the perimeter of the garden.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
But like you can see in my pics
My garden is pretty covered taken over by the tomato plants. Plus I leave stuff to rot all over the garden. My cat got no room anymore.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Do your peppers do poorly if you don't shade them?

We grow jalapeños, Thai chilis, and piquin peppers and they thrive in full sun exposure and Texas heat. I never shade them and they produce like crazy.
In the greenhouse, the sun is just too intense and causes their lower leaves to wilt and dye off. I use loose bamboo blinds, so about half the sun gets in but it cuts down on the heat.

I have a few pepper plants in pots outside the greenhouse which are fine in the full day sun.

The plants in the greenhouse grow more peppers than the ones outside, so I have just stuck with the routine.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Cat chilling under the pot light.

Potatoes, zucchini, baby cucumbers, (for pickling) kale, heritage carrots, carrots and NZ spinich

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
We went with some heirloom varieties this year from a local non profit coop selling seeds. The majority of those mutherfuckers got a virus this year. Lesson learned, dont fuck with non disease resistant strains.

The West Coast Seeds tomatoes I went with this year are kicking some ass. My peppers and squash are balls-to-the-walls.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Anyone get any fall / winter crops in?

My broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts are looking on point.

Garlic goes in next week. Also some spinach and greens when I get my lazy ass in gear.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Anyone get any fall / winter crops in?

My broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts are looking on point.

Garlic goes in next week. Also some spinach and greens when I get my lazy ass in gear.
Not quite ready yet here, but the fall/winter garden is coming soon. We'll do broccoli, beets, kale, lots of carrots, and I'm sure some other stuff. My wife changes it up a little every year.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Not quite ready yet here, but the fall/winter garden is coming soon. We'll do broccoli, beets, kale, lots of carrots, and I'm sure some other stuff. My wife changes it up a little every year.
Yes, kale.

As always, we have too much kale.

Made a massive batch of kale chips the other day so dented the stock a bit.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Yes, kale.

As always, we have too much kale.

Made a massive batch of kale chips the other day so dented the stock a bit.
Our kale grew awesome last year, it grew like crazy. That was one of our most utilized crops last year.

My son ate almost all of our carrots last season, so I'm doing a bunch. As much as I wanted to enjoy them myself, I couldn't help but let him go for them. How can you complain about a then 3 year old that wants veggies straight out of the garden for a snack? :)

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Our kale grew awesome last year, it grew like crazy. That was one of our most utilized crops last year.

My son ate almost all of our carrots last season, so I'm doing a bunch. As much as I wanted to enjoy them myself, I couldn't help but let him go for them. How can you complain about a then 3 year old that wants veggies straight out of the garden for a snack? :)
Carrots fresh from the garden are delicious.

If you haven't yet, you should try a colored variety for your son to enjoy.

Peas are another one kids (and everyone) enjoy fresh from the garden and are easy to grow.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Carrots fresh from the garden are delicious.

If you haven't yet, you should try a colored variety for your son to enjoy.

Peas are another one kids (and everyone) enjoy fresh from the garden and are easy to grow.
Yeah man, we had various colors of carrots last year - purple, yellow, white and a few orange. They were damn good, but I only got a few hah.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
It can be. However, it won't come back every year in my climate. I dry some seeds and replant each spring.

Moonflower. Those blooms are 6 inches across.
Damn, up this way its a constant battle. Grows up my cedar trees, into my greenhouse, takes over a back fence that's covered by the cedars and on and on it goes. I try to keep on it but the neighbors who rent dont clear it from the trees which is bitch. We grow the trees on our property line and they provide privacy for both of us, yet the neighbors neglect any form of care as its a rental unit.