Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
I’m carrying this into 2018. Don’t have a lot of veggies, but I do have lots of flowers. Honestly, I think I buy a plant every day I work.

Bromeliads

Coming along nicely on this side. My foxgloves. I love the powder puffs in the background.

Chilis, tomatoes, and cilantro.

My newest bromeliad, Audrey II.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
Damn, up this way its a constant battle. Grows up my cedar trees, into my greenhouse, takes over a back fence that's covered by the cedars and on and on it goes. I try to keep on it but the neighbors who rent dont clear it from the trees which is bitch. We grow the trees on our property line and they provide privacy for both of us, yet the neighbors neglect any form of care as its a rental unit.
You are probably talking about bindweed.
That's really hard to get rid of but not the same as morning glory.

Last edited:

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I’m carrying this into 2018. Don’t have a lot of veggies, but I do have lots of flowers. Honestly, I think I buy a plant every day I work.

Bromeliads

Coming along nicely on this side. My foxgloves. I love the powder puffs in the background.

Chilis, tomatoes, and cilantro.

My newest bromeliad, Audrey II.
very cool kathryn

I grow lots of stuff but it is 20 degrees at night right now so only kale at the moment

next batch veggies, raise soil level so plants can get max energy/sun

I work with plants for last 22years...not just talking shit

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
that is behaving like a morning glory...don't let it seed and pull it at base or rake it so roots dry and die

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
that is behaving like a morning glory...don't let it seed and pull it at base or rake it so roots dry and die
The reason bindweed is difficult to get rid if is that it doesn't have a veritical tap root like many weeds do. They have very thin segmented horizontal roots that break off if the central plant is pulled and start shooting up new plants from the leftover embedded segments.

Pulling the plants every time they shoot up new plants for a year (every week - ever 2 weeks) can help severey stunt the plant from spreading but even that doesn't really get rid of them. You could do that for years and they'll still find a way to survive.

The only effective way to get rid of them is scorching from either extreme heat or chemical. That will probably kill all the surrounding plants like your lawn in the process.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Yes, that is the bastard vine that takes over everything.

Fucking with my cedar trees. The neighbors don't clean it off the side on their property, dumb fucks. If the cedars die, we will build a fence and they will be paying half.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
How legit is Square Foot Gardening?
seems legit...you mean 1 by 1 beds?
what are you exactly planning...Plants are my thing...veggie and fruit gardner experience of 30 years(hippy parents with giant gardens) and it is kind of my job now.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
seems legit...you mean 1 by 1 beds?
what are you exactly planning...Plants are my thing...veggie and fruit gardner experience of 30 years(hippy parents with giant gardens) and it is kind of my job now.
What ever Mel Bartholomew is selling:

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015

well he is using a grid on large beds in that image...that is completely normal, and a natural evolution of gardening IMO

our beds start out the same way except we use a few vertical pieces of bamboo to distinguish the various shapes of areas we are planting veggie starts or sowing seeds into....so our beds are often rectangles of different veggies...his is using small squares instead of rectangles, so if he put same plant in two of his squares our beds would look very similar

some plants want more than a foot....some plants are great all crowded and planted near other plants....any garden is better than no garden, and learning experience is the best way to become good with plants.

I saw some people that had the bed actually divided up by wood into the 1' by 1'...this makes for easier heating up of soil and more soil temperature extremes and would take more monitoring.

really depends on climate and what you wanna grow...some things grow better than others yo

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015

Legit. The biggest critisms I know of are the spacing, but that's due to his soil composition. You don't have to follow his recipe, but you need proper nutrients and coarseness at the least.

I think it works great for small gardens with a variety of foods.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
well he is using a grid on large beds in that image...that is completely normal, and a natural evolution of gardening IMO

our beds start out the same way except we use a few vertical pieces of bamboo to distinguish the various shapes of areas we are planting veggie starts or sowing seeds into....so our beds are often rectangles of different veggies...his is using small squares instead of rectangles, so if he put same plant in two of his squares our beds would look very similar

some plants want more than a foot....some plants are great all crowded and planted near other plants....any garden is better than no garden, and learning experience is the best way to become good with plants.

I saw some people that had the bed actually divided up by wood into the 1' by 1'...this makes for easier heating up of soil and more soil temperature extremes and would take more monitoring.

really depends on climate and what you wanna grow...some things grow better than others yo

Great post, thanks for the info Rambo - had no clue you knew so much about Gardening.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Great post, thanks for the info Rambo - had no clue you knew so much about Gardening.
with more specific questions I can give better answers
People pay me for gardening advice, it is one of my jobs/hobbies... Lotta cannabis round here yo...I am an expert at irrigation also if any questions...I have worked many jobs in my time.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Hopefully I have something to contribute.
I got the OK from the landlord where I rent to till the back yard and build my garden, just got a cherry tree to take down.

Got my seeds, got my borders, ready to put in some work and start eating from the ground, pictures to come.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017

That looks like a weed infestation disaster waiting to happen. Going to be very tough pulling out the vermin plants when your plants are so close and There's no space for you to get in between for maintenance. You have to hobble on those planks.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017

Looks like a hotbed for Fungus.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
That looks like a weed infestation disaster waiting to happen. Going to be very tough pulling out the vermin plants when your plants are so close and There's no space for you to get in between for maintenance. You have to hobble on those planks.
If you don't have space though you can't have big wide paths...But I agree you always have to plan for weeding

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
due to plant spacing?

It is all really about climate and plant placement...along with a good growing medium of course
Poor air circulation in the soil when the plants grow larger and closer together. I can see this working in a very dry climate only and even that I wouldn't recommend.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
If you don't have space though you can't have big wide paths...But I agree you always have to plan for weeding
I would use containers and hanging baskets and vertical grow before doing the f by f grid in the ground like he is doing.

I see urban gardens using this 1by1 method and they are always full of weeds and doing poorly. I would not recommend for new grower to use this method. Agree??

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I would use containers and hanging baskets and vertical grow before doing the f by f grid in the ground like he is doing.

I see urban gardens using this 1by1 method and they are always full of weeds and doing poorly. I would not recommend for new grower to use this method. Agree??
Square foot method is pretty common. Some of my seed packets tell you how many fit in a square.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Poor air circulation in the soil when the plants grow larger and closer together. I can see this working in a very dry climate only and even that I wouldn't recommend.
If you turn soil yearly and have proper mix, and don't overwater....I do not see a problem

Climate factors in also.

My garden is mainly 4 foot by 8 foot 12 inch tall raised beds made from Redwood(rot resistant)
Various rectangles of different plants fill my beds

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015

I think without weeding or care any garden can be full of weeds and do poorly...those community folks were slacking

Only thing I do recommend is to garden....no matter how you do it you will learn what works for your space, climate, and needs.

Haven't done vertical method....could be great, I just don't know much about it.

take care B