Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
well that link said perennials will not bloom until second year...so if his bloomed and was from a seed planted this year then I think it is a no go

Glad you have a perennial though...that is a good landscaping plant IMO
I think he bought a started plant. I dont think he planted it from seed.

It's likely a hybrid.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
OK...I have always pulled it...possible a seed is spread via birds and what you are seeing is a seed sprouting a new sunflower stalk

what is your general location? do you have winter?
It is possible they are regrowing from seeding. I believe it's perennial because it's growing from the same spot without a spread of multiple plants for the first few years. The plants were just getting larger.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
OK Banchan @Banchan, your right

sunflowers can be a perennial(year to year) plant

but if they bloom first year they are likely not a perennial
Is My Sunflower An Annual Or A Perennial Sunflower

interesting...never seen a perennial myself
It's difficult to take those articles at face value because they are comparing without really considering hybrids. People generally replant hybrids because they don't know what they will get from hybrid seeds or the long term performance of a perennial hybrid. Generating new plants from old whether through seed or root is like a genetic lottery. Even heirlooms are unpredictable after a few years.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Well I'd say that hailstorm buggered the garden.

dang

we usually get a early hailstorm to knock the buds off most of fruit trees...can ruin pear or apple trees...late hail is rare in oregon...we usually get the intense soaker thunderstorm rain

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
dang

we usually get a early hailstorm to knock the buds off most of fruit trees...can ruin pear or apple trees...late hail is rare in oregon...we usually get the intense soaker thunderstorm rain
Yeah we usually get a spring storm that'll bigger blossoms. This one was pretty savage I dont see any recovering from this.

That is a pile of hail building up at base of down spouts

View: https://imgur.com/a/zLBzQb8

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
arbor vida, boxwoods, onions/garlic, and two twotypes squash, one tomato, a lil pepper and a sunflower?...looks beautiful man
A couple other beds to the left along (lettuce and cucs) with a greenhouse (peppers, tomatoes and cucs). A herb garden in pots on the deck for easy access. Some blueberry bushes off to the side.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
A couple other beds to the left along (lettuce and cucs) with a greenhouse (peppers, tomatoes and cucs). A herb garden in pots on the deck for easy access. Some blueberry bushes off to the side.
sounds great
home grown goods/spices are the best eating