Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
I started a square foot garden this year. All the soil was fresh and new. My tomato plants are so big they pulled the cages out of the ground and are layed over now.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
I started a square foot garden this year. All the soil was fresh and new. My tomato plants are so big they pulled the cages out of the ground and are layed over now.
Fuck cages, they never work.

For serious tomato plants you need to build in some more sturdy supports.

And soaker hoses, those fuckers are worth the extra install efforts.

Last edited:

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
canned like 30+ cans of salsa so far, made from onions...12 types o peppers...cilantro...tomatillo...garlic

froze about 35lbs blueberries..the lady probably ate twice that picking

roasted and Vacuum froze about 13lbs of grille roasted and skinned assorted peppers

ate most of the rest of the garden but it is still kicking

made some pickles and dilly beans also and canned em for use after the apocalypse

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Fuck cages, they never work.

For serious tomato plants you need to build in some more sturdy supports.

And soaker hoses, those fuckers are worth the extra install efforts.
I use Hog/sheep panel fence for tomato cages
last forever
galvanized so never rusts even here in wet ass oregon

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I enjoy zuchinni but simply cant keep up with the production. Giving them away.

Looking forward to the spaghetti squash ripening. They pair well with the zucs.

Never wasting my time with spinach. Shut grows like a weed, turns to seed and we simply just dont eat the shit that much.

Carrots are young but can finally start eating them to thin out the patch a bit.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016

Never wasting my time with spinach. Shut grows like a weed, turns to seed and we simply just dont eat the shit that much.

Carrots are young but can finally start eating them to thin out the patch a bit.

For the zuchinni, the little lady makes zuchinni bread/muffins and we dehydrate them with a little seasoning as dog treats.. dumb dogs dont know any better.

Spaghetti squash is always a winner. This is actually the first year in about 5 years I didnt plant any, regretting it now.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
For the zuchinni, the little lady makes zuchinni bread/muffins and we dehydrate them with a little seasoning as dog treats.. dumb dogs dont know any better.

Spaghetti squash is always a winner. This is actually the first year in about 5 years I didnt plant any, regretting it now.
Zuchinni and squash pair up nice in a garden bed. We make cakes and muffins as well but only so much freezer space.

We are happy to give veggies to people who will enjoy it. Spinich we just let people come and take what they want

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Zuchinni and squash pair up nice in a garden bed. We make cakes and muffins as well but only so much freezer space.
We actually just yanked all our zucchini plants today, all ended up with mildew. Early end to the season but we have about a dozen zucchini to eat before the stock is done.

Planning to use the space for some fall crops of carrots, cauliflower, lettuce and greens.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015

We are happy to give veggies to people who will enjoy it. Spinich we just let people come and take what they want
we give pounds of veggies to each the nearest 5 neighbors about every 2 weeks in growing season

cucumbers and zucchini are just too much to keep up with

luckily we did a small potato and sweet potato planting this year so the work is tapering off...picking/growing everything wears us out and takes a lot of time...but it is worth it for sure

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017

Blanch and freeze. They turn tiny once you blanch them. Squeeze out the water really good. Eat all winter.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Blanch and freeze. They turn tiny once you blanch them. Squeeze out the water really good. Eat all winter.
We do that with the carrots and we do freeze some spinich. Problem is lack of space, generally we keep our freezers stocked pretty full. Also like them nice and fresh.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
We do that with the carrots and we do freeze some spinich. Problem is lack of space, generally we keep our freezers stocked pretty full. Also like them nice and fresh.
I want a third freezer but the lady looks at me like