Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
start early when there is nowhere to hide
I did this last year and it cut way down on the leave bitting little bugs that attack most types of leaves
it does kill many beneficial insects also, so it is a catch 22
DE doesn't work on caterpillers at all. Im not sure if this is because they are inside the center bulb or whatever but it doesn't work for the ones which attack cabbage and that is why it is notoriously difficult to grow organically. You're going to get a ton of holes if you don't use a chemical to deal with larva insects.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
I should add this is true for long growing cabbage like traditional green and nappa.
Fast growing cabbages like bok choy are okay because they are ready to pick before an infestation cycle has time to hatch and cycle but slow growth cabbages and raddishes will get attacked by cabbage caterpillers that do not respond to DE.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I should add this is true for long growing cabbage like traditional green and nappa.
Fast growing cabbages like bok choy are okay because they are ready to pick before an infestation cycle has time to hatch and cycle but slow growth cabbages and raddishes will get attacked by cabbage caterpillers that do not respond to DE.
they do love radish leaves, beet leaves, and chard

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Freeloading Rusty @MC Gusto

Much healthier sunflowers coming up this year. Grasshoppers have been going to town the past few days. I've killed so many this year I'm starting to feel guilty.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
As for my Garden, it is setting up nicely
12 raised beds of large size filled with tomato, peppers, lettuce, kale, onion, garlic, potato, beans, peas, oka, various herbs...The Blueberry jungle and LoganBerry Fences are filled with berries as usual

Just did all the work turning the beds and whatnot and recently planted, weather just starting to turn into summer here

Planting is easy, the work is in maintaining it and harvest/canning/drying...very rewarding tho...when the season is over you are happy to get a few month break

Keeping the Cannabis inside a few more days to get it used to the natural light patterns.

Gardening Season 2019 is gonna kick ass fellas
Lets DO THIS!

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Freeloading Rusty @MC Gusto

Much healthier sunflowers coming up this year. Grasshoppers have been going to town the past few days. I've killed so many this year I'm starting to feel guilty.

Those look like some prize winners!

No sunflowers for us these year other than a few mini ones in pots to pretty up the front yard.

The new addition to the family has put a serious damper on my gardening this year.

We have had some crazy good weather so far this year so our full bed of garlic is almost ready for harvest and is looking amazing.

Also got some carrots, kale and peas happening in a garden bed.

Some tomatoes, cucumber, peppers and a couple marijuana starters working their magic in the greenhouse.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
No real garden this year.
Just peas & tomatoes planted too late.
Life has been complicated.

Still got apples & blackberries all day.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Its yuge

Can't have my veggies doxxed tho.... So no pics

Mad surplus

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
Have tangerines and limes coming in on the trees I got last August... That’s all I’ve got going, aside from basil.
Something is really gnawing on the lime tree, though.

We also have accidental corn that keeps cropping up from under the bird feeder.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
12 jars of pickles in the pantry
half spicy/half not spicy

anybody here know how to can?

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Disgusting !

I would love to learn to can, but not disgusting pickles.
we can green beans/dilly beans also...but that is pickled so I don't think you would like

tomatoes are coming soon here, we can whole and blended tomato for making sauces in winter/spring

Salsa also...I roast the peppers and tomatoes and they get de-skinned and the lady does the canning...very intensive process actually...takes long time

The Lady cans jams and sauces...logan berry, blueberry, asian pear

other than that we just dry a lot of stuff...peppers tomatoes, figs, berries.

Canning has a learning curve, but the shelf life of your product is priceless, and potentially valuable if refrigeration goes down

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
considering your environment you could probably find tons of cool stuff to can

I assume all fruits and citrus are available and almost all veggies also

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
considering your environment you could probably find tons of cool stuff to can

I assume all fruits and citrus are available and almost all veggies also
Not everything is available here. I don’t enjoy anything pickled, though. The mixture of the vinegar and whatever disgusts me.
I would love to do my own apple jelly. It’s the best jelly.
Apple jelly, butter, pumpkin butter... I don’t know what else.