Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
looking good spark
like the photos of the yellow beans and red potatoes
Beefy Kale crop also

we have a deep purple tater this year...pretty tasty...we add a couple new varieties to the patch each year and let them sort it out for dominance and crossbreeding
the tater patch took over half a bed because the tiny ones just fall off and start over next year...fun times

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
looking good spark
like the photos of the yellow beans and red potatoes
Beefy Kale crop also

we have a deep purple tater this year...pretty tasty...we add a couple new varieties to the patch each year and let them sort it out for dominance and crossbreeding
the tater patch took over half a bed because the tiny ones just fall off and start over next year...fun times
I've been eating and juicing Red Russian Kale for 2 months; just had it again for dinner.
That is my first pepper, my first potatoes, my first Kale, my first beans....that whole bed is new, as are the 4 raised beds & 3-stage compost.
I've got carrots(3 kinds) beets, yellow spanish onion, white sweet onion, green onion, chives, basil, cilantro, lemon balm, apples, blackberries, tomatoes galore, bush beans, pole beans, green beans, snap peas, cucumbers, cabbage, green zuchini, summer squash, potatoes, winter wheat, red romaine, brussel sprouts, bok choy, spinach, sweet potatoes, radish, green leaf lettuce rows....I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I need to start researching winter crops for texas, I'd like some home grown garlic and onions fo sho

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
20200811_184215.jpg
My Tomato jungle. Finally starting to pick some since there are too many for the squirrels steal now. Okra and peppers in the front.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Cucumbers take up a lot of space. I never let them grow big enough. Pull them early and pickle them.
If cucumbers grow well there then so would spaghetti squash which gives good yields.
My squash was blown out of ground a month and half ago so we didnt get any but the cuke is from one plant. We grow straight 8s here. I have another cuke plant that grows ones the size of grapes to put in salads.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
danger zone, nice looking pepper tho

I had ring of fire today from some red jalapeños

That thing is loaded with HEAT
Maybe if you hoes are lucky I can get my wife to film me eating it. Can't make hot sauce with 1 pepper.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
My squash was blown out of ground a month and half ago so we didnt get any but the cuke is from one plant. We grow straight 8s here. I have another cuke plant that grows ones the size of grapes to put in salads.
straight 8 strain looks nice
1597192612079.png

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Maybe if you hoes are lucky I can get my wife to film me eating it. Can't make hot sauce with 1 pepper.
I would like the video, I would need 200 bucks to take the challenge of eating one...would be a ballsy move.

Do you know the power of those peppers?
I think you could make a batch with one if it is strong enough, depending on batch size.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I would like the video, I would need 200 bucks to take the challenge of eating one...would be a ballsy move.

Do you know the power of those peppers?
I think you could make a batch with one if it is strong enough, depending on batch size.
Nah man, I'll send you my hot sauce recipe, I use super hots exclusively. I eat the first pepper off each plant every year. The hottest thus far has been a chocolate bhutlah(spelling?) it blistered my tongue. This should be a ghost pepper, no biggy.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Nah man, I'll send you my hot sauce recipe, I use super hots exclusively. I eat the first pepper off each plant every year. The hottest thus far has been a chocolate bhutlah(spelling?) it blistered my tongue. This should be a ghost pepper, no biggy.
Dont do it. I ate one a few years ago and it was pure hell. I was pouring milk in my eyes to try and stop the burning.

If you do eat it wait about half a hour and give your wife a kiss. The residuals will still fuck her up

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Dont do it. I ate one a few years ago and it was pure hell. I was pouring milk in my eyes to try and stop the burning.

If you do eat it wait about half a hour and give your wife a kiss. The residuals will still fuck her up
I've been doing this for like 4ish years.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015

my lady deskinned a bunch of peppers one night and then messed with my cawk
turned it into a fire starter

actually felt good but when we were done the burn lasted for far too many hours

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Here's my promised hot sauce recipe. Don't fucking ruin it by putting fruit in it.

This Gon’ Hurt Sauce

Ingredients
40+ Super hot peppers
1 Stingy Cup of Red Wine Vinegar
5 Large Yellow Onions
10 Cloves Garlic
14 Roma Tomatoes
3 Cups Water
Salt to taste (I used 8 Tablespoons)
Olive oil

Procedure
Dice onions, garlic, and peppers. You can did this ahead of time and put them all in the same bowl.
Dice tomatoes, put them in a separate bowl.
Measure water and vinegar, these can be kept in the same measuring cup.
Heat a large pot, coat the bottom with olive oil. Add onions, garlic and peppers, add more oil if needed.
Saute onions, garlic and peppers for 5-10 min.
Add tomatoes, saute/simmer for 10 min.
Add water, vinegar, and salt & pepper, mix in well.
Simmer for 20-30 min.
Cover with foil and let cool.
Add ingredients to blender and blend on high for 2+ min.
Bottle.

M

member 3289

A lesson in perseverance with my miracle fruit tree (the fruit that changes the flavor of anything you eat, making it a lot sweeter). The first two times I had flowers, only 1 of them pollinated successfully each time (the second of which is shown in the largest photo below and which will be ready to pick tomorrow).

Then I figured out what I was doing wrong in regards to soil quality (soil was too alkaline) and pollination. There is a 1-2 day window to hand pollinate these flowers. As the tree is from western Africa, I don't know of any natural pollinators, so leaving it outside the patio wouldn't work. I tried a few different tactics the first two times and like I said, only one fruit set each time. Then I paid attention to the pollen drop and realized that a toothpick works best - when the flower is still closed, you insert the toothpick, gently twist it and watch for the pollen to drop. It works best in the late morning in my experience.

I have only had 1 flower (out of about 10-12) not pollinate using this method. The photo below shows a few of the ones that have successfully self-pollinated and started to set fruit:

PicsArt_08-14-05.04.28.jpg