Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Those fruits look really cool...lemoney? but different an tart?
Yeah man, they're tasty. The best way I can describe it is a tangerine mixed with a lime. Definitely tart. The flesh is tangerine color. Fruits are about the size of a key lime.

It's a nice add in to dishes you would normally squeeze a lime over, or in guacamole or margaritas, etc. My wife likes to use them in cocktails.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
This can work with lettuce as it grows in a narrow shape to the top.

This doesn't work well with swiss chard or kale because they form a broad drooping canopy that gets wider as the crop develops.

Removing bottom leaves can help management on top of the soil but won't help with management below the soil.

You could continue to add nutrients and soil to the container as the plant gets taller but that adds to the expense of a already constricted and reduced yield. Brings me back to my point that square foot gardening is for a casual person who wants to garden for fun but not actually seriously use it as a dependent supplement of your food supply because it doesn't give you the yields you could be making per plant per square foot. Nothing wrong with containers or beds or vertical growing but intensive planting in limited space isn't the efficient food maker that you may think it is e.g. lots of plants in every space must mean lots of food per space. Instead you may have lots of little plants making little food.
Cabbage moth central

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
There's alot of issues with overcrowding your vegetables and not just with soil but you will increase everything bad - fungus, disease, rot, insects, wet plants, wilt, inproper drainage, air

iPlant Viruses: Soil‐borne

Blight doesn't die after two years. This is incorrect. Hypothetically blight should die after the plant dies but they winter on debris and the cycle continues. It's virtually impossible to get rid of all the infected debris as it hides in the soil and has likely spread outside your garden. Rotating is a small measure of prevention but it wont prevent blight either because it often gets carried into soil by winds from neighbouring soils.

Basically if you are new to gardening and live in a typcal climate with cycles of moisture and humidity during the growing season you want to avoid overcrowding your plants if possible. Even if you live in dry climate the problem with this method will still come when you water the garden as most water distribution will occur from the top down straight onto the leaves and trickle down to soil. This is a fungus, wilt and filtration issue waiting to happen. You could possibly get away with narrow crops such as lettuce that you will trim often but It's still going to be finicky trying to control the weeds when you have such narrow pathways between for maintenance.

You could however tarp the soil with plastic crop cover which we do alot in agri farming in Korea. Im just saying this isn't a very easy method to manage as a beginner gardener and invites alot more issues than if you had just planted less crops and spaced it out. If you don't have a ton of time to invest and manage a garden everyday I highly recommend not doing this method imo. If space is at issue look into building some kind of way to espalier your leaf and fruit crops to hang from pots and grow out vertically and keep bulb crops for the ground.

I like that pallet garden idea. Might try that if the snow ever melts. Lost over a month of potential growing with how far winter has stretched out

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I like that pallet garden idea. Might try that if the snow ever melts. Lost over a month of potential growing with how far winter has stretched out
could put it on wall of house and it would be warmer

I dunno

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
It's finally warming up around here, looking to have my planting done this weekend. I usually go with root veggies and herbs. Have a lot of success with rosemary. Was considering doing indoor containers for mass sweet potatoe growth.
Are you starting your own sweet potato? Now would be the time since the shoots will take awhile to grow.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
I don't recall seeing any powdery mildew on the leaves, but I really didn't pay much attention until the plant was clearly in distress (and it was a year ago now). I don't think I over watered it, but we did have a wet year so maybe over watering happened naturally. Although I have a Texas sage near this tree and it is totally fine and thriving. When I planted the sage tree/shrub I did some research on it. It is an incredibly durable and drought resistant tree, it takes very little to keep it alive. The stuff I read said the best way to kill the sage was to pamper the tree with water and fertilizer, it doesn't need it. It also said over watering is main way people fuck up this shrub. It is still doing fine, and I would have thought that if the calamansi was over watered (naturally or by me), this would have been too as I gave them pretty much the same amount of "care". I dunno....I just want more calamansi fruit! All in good time.

I used to brag about how sturdy and tough the calamansi was, it always looked good in the peak heat of summer while other things slowed down. Don't know what it was, but the tree got fucked up!

It was a cool tree, one way or another I will rejuvenate whats left or I will get another one.
There are a slew of common bacteria that infect fruit trees during wetter than normal years and winter in dead leaves and get carried or blow back onto the tree and continue to reinfect it. Canker and blight are also very very common forms of too wet years induced bacteria that cause premature leaf drop and fruit loss. Pruning the dead wood will help the tree recover faster, rake and dispose of the leaves in the fall until you are sure the disease is no longer reinfecting the tree.

If the tree is grafted onto a rootstock ( you should see visible node near the base by the soil line) the root stock may probably survive and you can regraft buds of your citrus onto the root stock which will grow much faster than planting a new tree as the root is already established. You may want to save some of your spring shoots in case the tree does eventually die. If the tree is hard to find, you can graft the buds onto another citrus tree and have a combined tree or graft onto a wild citrus rootstock hardy to your area and have the whole tree be of the variety you desire.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
Those fruits look really cool...lemoney? but different an tart?

FYI trees are the most vulnerable to all types of stuff...we had an amazing apricot tree for 4 years and then it all died suddenly

FYI sage would not be affected as it is tough as shit and more native to area/climate

I do some high end gardens and have never really seen a sage have issues..they just take over and get huge
I love sage. I plant them for their pretty leaves and purple flowers. I don't even harvest the leaves at all, just like the way it looks. It's great honey bee and hummingbird attracting plant and it lives through very cold winters like it's nothing.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
There are a slew of common bacteria that infect fruit trees during wetter than normal years and winter in dead leaves and get carried or blow back onto the tree and continue to reinfect it. Canker and blight are also very very common forms of too wet years induced bacteria that cause premature leaf drop and fruit loss. Pruning the dead wood will help the tree recover faster, rake and dispose of the leaves in the fall until you are sure the disease is no longer reinfecting the tree.

If the tree is grafted onto a rootstock ( you should see visible node near the base by the soil line) the root stock may probably survive and you can regraft buds of your citrus onto the root stock which will grow much faster than planting a new tree as the root is already established. You may want to save some of your spring shoots in case the tree does eventually die. If the tree is hard to find, you can graft the buds onto another citrus tree and have a combined tree or graft onto a wild citrus rootstock hardy to your area and have the whole tree be of the variety you desire.
Good info, thanks.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
Good thread....Post any questions or plantings

Tag me if anyone has questions...35 years of gardening...One of my summer side jobs is high end gardening and landscaping for rich folks
Favorite methods for slug management?

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
well I have a chicken run that is narrow but surrounds my garden...so that eliminates all the snails(lots here) and slugs

the chickens eat both and love it

But for some of my high end clients/customers I use Sluggo...this won't harm pets or plants but will F up snails and slugs

gotta be something similar in a store nearby everybody

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sluggo-P...75035&wl11=online&wl12=19276756&wl13=&veh=sem

little bit doest the trick...a circle or perimeter around any bed or plant that slugs prefer

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
also crushed chicken egg shell or crushed nut shells can deter any slug/snail from crossing and messing with your plants...sharp edges cut their undersides, and they tend to not cross those types of things.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
It's finally warming up around here, looking to have my planting done this weekend. I usually go with root veggies and herbs. Have a lot of success with rosemary. Was considering doing indoor containers for mass sweet potatoe growth.
U better have some amazing lights(aka cannabis grow lights) or you are gonna have issues IMO

nothing beats the natural sunlight....balconey or deck is better than inside IMO

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Diatomaceous earth also can dissuade slugs and snails...and it is good for your soil

has to be dry and has to be a thick continuous line though so....

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
Diatomaceous earth also can dissuade slugs and snails...and it is good for your soil

has to be dry and has to be a thick continuous line though so....
My garden is just right huge though. I figure this will get very expensive. I hate these big orange slugs.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
My garden is just right huge though. I figure this will get very expensive. I hate these big orange slugs.
should just use Sluggo....it is natural and not that expensive...If you have backyard chickens it is not good though cause it can get in chickens via the snails/slugs

buy in bulk and you will knock them orange sliders down a lot I reckon

enjoy

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
If you have backyard chickens
My wife really wants to get some yard birds. I'm not necessarily against it, but at the same time I don't need any more shit to take care of. In short, we'll probably end up with chickens soon :D

We have some friends that have chickens, and they also use ducks in their garden for bug/pest control. Apparently ducks eat the shit outta garden bugs.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
My wife really wants to get some yard birds. I'm not necessarily against it, but at the same time I don't need any more shit to take care of. In short, we'll probably end up with chickens soon :D

We have some friends that have chickens, and they also use ducks in their garden for bug/pest control. Apparently ducks eat the shit outta garden bugs.
well I got chicken tips when the time comes...and they will also eat the shit out of your garden LOL...they eat and dig at roots of everything looking for bugs, often exposing roots

there is some daily maintenance involved but it can be minimized...the chickenshit makes great fertilizer if you have a garden

we have our coop doors on a timer and they are electric, so they get out in the morning and get locked in at night without us doing jack

I built a pretty fancy coop so I know some of the do's and dont's of that also

Hardest thing is to get be able to get rid of them when they stop laying as much...My lady treats em like pets so we have some old birds now...I would prefer to cull or give them away every 3 years and get some heavy layers in (320 eggs per year plus on some breeds)

but we hold on to em, and currently we have 3 and one is 7 years old and lays maybe 50 eggs per year only

out of a total of 14 owned 11 have died over the 9 years we have had chickens(usually production breeds that burn out and get egg bound around year 3)...I put a cap in a couple of their domes to help em go down quick....so chickens do teach the circle of life....as chicks so cute and when old/sick quite sad.

take care

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I was going to put them in the garage with lamps
or good natural light on a southern or western facing window that gets decent sunlight...that would work too

any reason you can't put them outside?