Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
How big is the greenhouse?
Nothing special. 6x8 and then a sloped glass roof between 7-8 feet. Built with old windows salvaged from a massive ocean front home renovation. Sun room windows. Moving them was a bitch but it turned into a great set up.

The feature is the THERMOFOR window vent installed in the roof. These things are the bees knees. Some European invention (I think), as it gets hotter, the lever expands and opens a window more and more as it heats up. You can adjust them depending on needs.

I would like to expand it but have been holding off with the 'better half' talking about wanting to move. One can be pretty productive with not a ton of space in a green house. Great for starting your own seeds and then transplanting them into the garden. Great for specific vegetables - peppers, tomatoes (I just do the bush variety in it due to its size).. basically veg that are heat and sun whores. Good to drag the potted plants into early in the season on rainy or cold nights.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Supposedly this is some dankness. I normally use Alaska Naturals Bloom fertilizer which is fish based, but it's sold out everyone.

M

member 3289

The flowers on my miracle fruit tree were all falling off. I didn't think I was going to get fruit to set this time around. Then as I was cleaning the patio this morning I noticed this:

Hopefully there will be more. We'll see. The fruiting takes 30-90 days

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
The flowers on my miracle fruit tree were all falling off. I didn't think I was going to get fruit to set this time around. Then as I was cleaning the patio this morning I noticed this:

Normally in other plants when blooms fall of they are lacking some kind of nutrient. Fish based fertilizers normally fixes that for me.

M

member 3289

Normally in other plants when blooms fall of they are lacking some kind of nutrient. Fish based fertilizers normally fixes that for me.
Yeah I have to research whether it is best to fertilize this tree duringthe blossom/fruiting stage. Typically for fruit trees it's fine but I'll double-check.

I really wanted to repot this tree to give it a little more space as it's still in its nursery pot. But about 2 months ago it started producing new leaf shoots and then later started to blossom. The last thing you ever wanna do is transplant a fruit tree in the middle of a growth period. It would send it into shock and all the flowers/fruit would fall off.

I actually got a really good citrus fertilizer that was recommended to me by a nursery in central fertilizer. It has all the minor elements that citrus needs. Miracle fruit isn't citrus but the bag says "for all fruit trees".

It's called BGI Citrus Gain and it's not expensive. I just fed my Meyer lemon tree last Saturday so I'll update its progress.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah I have to research whether it is best to fertilize this tree duringthe blossom/fruiting stage. Typically for fruit trees it's fine but I'll double-check.

I really wanted to repot this tree to give it a little more space as it's still in its nursery pot. But about 2 months ago it started producing new leaf shoots and then later started to blossom. The last thing you ever wanna do is transplant a fruit tree in the middle of a growth period. It would send it into shock and all the flowers/fruit would fall off.

I actually got a really good citrus fertilizer that was recommended to me by a nursery in central fertilizer. It has all the minor elements that citrus needs. Miracle fruit isn't citrus but the bag says "for all fruit trees".

It's called BGI Citrus Gain and it's not expensive. I just fed my Meyer lemon tree last Saturday so I'll update its progress.
Thats awesome. We use the fish stuff as a supplement 2 times a week, the plants shoot up over night with it. It's pretty wild to watch. v I'd love to grow lemon trees here but it gets too cold in the winter so it'd probably be a big pain in the ass.

M

member 3289

Thats awesome. We use the fish stuff as a supplement 2 times a week, the plants shoot up over night with it. It's pretty wild to watch. v I'd love to grow lemon trees here but it gets too cold in the winter so it'd probably be a big pain in the ass.
How cold? Meyer lemons are more cold-tolerant than Eureka or Ponderosa.

If it doesn't get below freezing most nights, you could always throw a blanket over it on the coldest nights.

Another solution is to buy a tree that was grafted onto dwarf rootstock and grow it in a container. Then you can just move the container inside when it gets cold.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
How cold? Meyer lemons are more cold-tolerant than Eureka or Ponderosa.

If it doesn't get below freezing most nights, you could always throw a blanket over it on the coldest nights.

Another solution is to buy a tree that was grafted onto dwarf rootstock and grow it in a container. Then you can just move the container inside when it gets cold.
It gets down into the teens a few nights a year, and into the single digits typically 1 night a year. I don't want to mess with a potted plant tbh, it's crossed my mind before.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Just cut some herbs, our garden is doing very well. We've never had this much luck with tomatoes until moving them underish a tree.
MVIMG_20200602_100530.jpgMVIMG_20200602_095216.jpgMVIMG_20200601_073550.jpg

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
try not to water the leaves or over water them for best results

they look good and healthy

is that melon or cucumber
cantaloupe

Our garden is doing really well this year now that the trees can provide some shade

Last edited:
M

member 3289

Anyone have a solution for covering potted plants from excessive rain? It's been mostly dry the last week or so, but the week before that we got way too much rain for my outdoor potted plants to handle. The plants will be fine but I can't have this happening too often. Rainy season just started and I can't have my plants getting flooded every other week. It will eventually lead to root rot.

I'm thinking of covering the pot opening with enough plastic wrap that I can somehow angle it so almost no water is able to reach the soil.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Probably a little too late to plant these successfully this year, but I'll try a few anyways.
MVIMG_20200608_175835.jpg

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
I think I pull them usually when I see that thing
will let them go longer to see if it curls

I do eat most of all the plants, heat, oil, and seasoning make most garden foliage edible and often downright tasty.

I plant them randomly as I move plants around bed to bed and find one in a rootball, so not sure how old these ones are but they sure aren't flowering/going to seed yet.
Garlic scapes have been harvested.. a couple weeks of not watering and the garlic will be ready to pull.

97B5175E-AEE5-4197-AA6A-5B8D6CAFFF14.jpegEC950150-234E-41E4-840F-7C79A5766B77.jpeg

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Fucking mocking birds ate almost all of our first maters. If they weren't the state bird I'd shoot them, but since I love all things Texas I'll do this instead.
MVIMG_20200613_145417.jpg

Attachments

M

member 3289

Anyone have experience using ammonium sulfate to acidify soil?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Nope, but I'm pretty sure used coffee grounds will acidify you're soil.
some people use it in the liquid mix for cannabis fertilizer
can't remember the ratio
molasses and bat guano are also in the recipe I know of

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015

That's the african plant that makes sour/unripe fruit or veggies taste sweet, right? How does the actual fruit taste? Is it meant to be consumed alone?

M

member 3289

That's the african plant that makes sour/unripe fruit or veggies taste sweet, right? How does the actual fruit taste? Is it meant to be consumed alone?
It has a very neutral/bland taste when eaten alone. Not something I would do just bc there are 1,000 better fruits.

Yes it's the one you describe and my god damn soil is too alkaline. I need 4.5-5.5 and I'm running fucking 7.5.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Fucking mocking birds ate almost all of our first maters. If they weren't the state bird I'd shoot them, but since I love all things Texas I'll do this instead.
View attachment 7228
You should trim the bottom 8-10 inches of the leaves on those plants.

Not sure what its like where you live but here, doing so usually increases the plants overall health and lifespan. It greatly reduces the chances of the plant picking up any powdery mildew or viruses. The plant is able to put more energy into fruiting instead of keeping healthy.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
looking good
lets get some garden harvest numbers racking up

M

member 3289

Nope, but I'm pretty sure used coffee grounds will acidify you're soil.
Tried that but didn't change the ph at all. But I've got ammonium sulfate and soil test kits (I've been using a meter but idk how accurate it is) on the way so hopefully I'm able to lower the ph without killing the plant.

A guy on YouTube has a plant half the size of mine that's full of berries. If I can't make my plant as good as his then the least I can do is find him and beat his ass