Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Just curious - which growing zone is everyone in?

I'm in zone 10 (10b to be precise).

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I am zone 8. 8a if you want to be anal.

I also ordered my wife a DC XL venus flytrap. I think we are going to do a bog garden next year.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I’m in 8b...so in your face!

no idea what this means, but that’s what google says
8b is a pretty sweet zone if you are a gardener
wide variety of options to grow

Citrus is tough though and I have lost apricot and peach trees

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
As an avid waterfowl hunter I can tell you the coldest it's been at my house within the last 5 years. 8 degrees. I am about 30-60 min north of dallas depending on traffic.
same here
we hit just under 10 degrees for 2 days last 2 years

kinda crazy considering how much closer to equator you are

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
central Tejas

more south than that 8a-loving ThatOneDude @ThatOneDude
Ya, you could kill the citrus game.

I so want to have a few avocado trees.

Will only live in a large greenhouse up here...those arctic winds blow in and freeze our asses up pretty good every other year and it kills our hot weather loving trees.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
It warmed up by 7 am.
yikes
only got to 60 degrees last night here...that is damn hot for here...we only have a single window unit ac for whole house tho
I know it is not that bad compared to many southern places, but we got ocean air that is kinda humid during heat waves.

I sweated 5-6 lbs of water at work between 7am and 2pm...inside hydrating and shitposting now lol

I bet your peppers and tomatoes love the hotter nights you folks get

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
yikes
only got to 60 degrees last night here...that is damn hot for here...we only have a single window unit ac for whole house tho
I know it is not that bad compared to many southern places, but we got ocean air that is kinda humid during heat waves.

I sweated 5-6 lbs of water at work between 7am and 2pm...inside hydrating and shitposting now lol

I bet your peppers and tomatoes love the hotter nights you folks get
The peppers love the heat, pisses them off more. The tomatoes on the other hand absolutely hate how hot it gets here. Sure my tomatoes plants are 6 feet tall, but they look like shit. We no shit have to grow them under a tree.
MVIMG_20200720_204433.jpg

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The peppers love the heat, pisses them off more. The tomatoes on the other hand absolutely hate how hot it gets here. Sure my tomatoes plants are 6 feet tall, but they look like shit. We no shit have to grow them under a tree.
Haha pisses them off more...peppers do get hotter and better with some stress

Y,a I also cook tomatoes if I plant them in the raised bed surrounded by pavers.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
We have a bunch ripening, the tree is a huge help
I’m sure it is! Where we have our garden beds it’s nuking them now that summer has kicked in. Considering building a tomato only spot somewhere else that gets a little less sun. I have a spot in the yard that starts getting shade around 3pm. Feel like eliminating those last few hours of direct sun would make a big difference.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I’m sure it is! Where we have our garden beds it’s nuking them now that summer has kicked in. Considering building a tomato only spot somewhere else that gets a little less sun. I have a spot in the yard that starts getting shade around 3pm. Feel like eliminating those last few hours of direct sun would make a big difference.
Plant an ash tree. Mine is maybe 4 years old.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
You need shade cloth man.

Comes in different grades that only let in certain amounts of sunlight.

Not cheap but will last multiple seasons and might open up the options and extend the growing season...plus much easier to do gardening under in the summer sun.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
You need shade cloth man.

Comes in different grades that only let in certain amounts of sunlight.

Not cheap but will last multiple seasons and might open up the options and extend the growing season...plus much easier to do gardening under in the summer sun.
I've contemplated putting up some 6x6 posts and stretching out a big shade cloth. The posts could also be used for catfish skinning.