Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Indica guy! I like it!
Mataro Blue

Any advice?

I got some in pots and some in the garden. The ones in the garden look better as usual, both look healthy.

All I feed with is Alaska fish compost ( usually use a local brand but not available this year) and crushed egg shells. Never really learned the chemistry of the soil.

Pinch off colas after the third’ish bud... clean out bottom leaves... stress train... what else should I be doing?

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Mataro Blue

Any advice?

I got some in pots and some in the garden. The ones in the garden look better as usual, both look healthy.

All I feed with is Alaska fish compost ( usually use a local brand but not available this year) and crushed egg shells. Never really learned the chemistry of the soil.

Pinch off colas after the third’ish bud... clean out bottom leaves... stress train... what else should I be doing?
I don't do organic, so I'm the wrong guy to ask. I have no idea what you have in your soil, and even if I did, it would require experience growing with that specific ratio of amendments. Some use super soil, others just do amendments and additives as needed or as timed. Sorry can't help there. I am questioning whether the fish compost is correct for flowering, and they are starting flowering based on the pics.

Pinching off the colas is good, however, cutting them is better. You want to leave some stem after topping, otherwise the new tops (2 now) don't have proper strength on the top for tearing. If stem is left over (just a small amount), the branching is left with both top and bottom anchoring. Without the top anchoring, they do tend to break off easily under weight (or under training).

You want to clean out leaves both at the bottom, and in the center. This will be ongoing. You will also want to cut off lower, smaller branches, so the plants can put their energy into the uppers. Popcorn buds are a waste of time, plus this will allow for more air flow, and easier maintenance of pests.

What type of stress training are you doing? At this point I'd really just be supercropping since it doesn't appear you lst'd. I don't like high stress training, personally.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I don't do organic, so I'm the wrong guy to ask. I have no idea what you have in your soil, and even if I did, it would require experience growing with that specific ratio of amendments. Some use super soil, others just do amendments and additives as needed or as timed. Sorry can't help there. I am questioning whether the fish compost is correct for flowering, and they are starting flowering based on the pics.

Pinching off the colas is good, however, cutting them is better. You want to leave some stem after topping, otherwise the new tops (2 now) don't have proper strength on the top for tearing. If stem is left over (just a small amount), the branching is left with both top and bottom anchoring. Without the top anchoring, they do tend to break off easily under weight (or under training).

You want to clean out leaves both at the bottom, and in the center. This will be ongoing. You will also want to cut off lower, smaller branches, so the plants can put their energy into the uppers. Popcorn buds are a waste of time, plus this will allow for more air flow, and easier maintenance of pests.

What type of stress training are you doing? At this point I'd really just be supercropping since it doesn't appear you lst'd. I don't like high stress training, personally.
Add blackstrap molasses into your regiment as well as worm casting tea. Nothing better than live soil, and the roots will love you. If you want me to walk you through an easy recipe, I'm happy to do so.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016

It’s a Sea Soil Compost blend for the soil.

Poor choice of words, not pinching. Cutting the middle bud after three junctions.

Good to know about the centre leaves. Makes sense, thanks.

Just bending the branches outwards to get sun in from all angles.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Add blackstrap molasses into your regiment as well as worm casting tea. Nothing better than live soil, and the roots will love you. If you want me to walk you through an easy recipe, I'm happy to do so.
I would appreciate that.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
It’s a Sea Soil Compost blend for the soil.

Poor choice of words, not pinching. Cutting the middle bud after three junctions.

Good to know about the centre leaves. Makes sense, thanks.

Just bending the branches outwards to get sun in from all angles.
You're good by just bending the branches. That's low stress. Supercropping may be considered high stress, but i'd debate that any day of the week, unless someone is supercropping multiple branches in the same day.

It's not just center leaves, you want to get rid of the pathetic lower branches. Now in flowering, wait a week, and remove the thin lowers. In week 3 do the same. From then on, shave off (I use a razor blade) the pathetic shoots that are growing off of branches that will never get sufficient sunlight. Those will just be wasted space, popcorn buds, and constrict the proper air flow you need.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I would appreciate that.
The proper way to do it is with a pump or an airstone (fish tank pump), but you can do it without that if you constantly agitate the tea while it is brewing. You have a decent amount of plants there, and you want a soil drench. To get to the tap root, of your in ground plants, you will want to mix up a decent amount. I don't know how much you are watering (assuming you are hand watering?). Get two 5 gallon *clean* (not buckets you've used for various things) buckets. In one, fill it with water, then add about 3 cups of worm castings, then about 3 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses (don't use regular molasses). I like to put my blackstrap molasses into a cup of water first, then mix it up so it doesn't just drop to the bottom of the bucket. Pour that in and then with mix, or pour into the empty bucket. You want to make sure everything mixes well and gets aerated. Every 5-8 hours agitate it again for aerate. The microbes require air to live, and they feed off of the blackstap molasses. You will "brew" your tea for 24-48 hours, but these microbes will only live in the tea for 72 hours, so it's not something you can make ahead of time and just sit on. I like to go 48 hours, then do a soil drench. Prior to doing the soil drench you stain your worm castings (solid matter at this point). It is easily accomplished by just pouring the brew slowly into the empty bucket, dumping solids, then doing the same into the newly empty bucket (you'll get it out of there with 3 pours). Dilute 2/1 with water or even 3/1 with water and you're golden.
My schedule for feeding is feed, feed, flush, and I use the worm casting tea for my flush. You are not mixing up nutrients, so you can just add the worm casting tea whenever. Every third watering is probably a good guide, but you can't really overdo it. Not necessary for every watering, and at some point, more does not mean better.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Clean them up this morning. Cleared about the first 6-8 inches at the bottom and cleaned out the center of leaves and stragglers. They look good, much more space for air flow.

Cheers.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Clean them up this morning. Cleared about the first 6-8 inches at the bottom and cleaned out the center of leaves and stragglers. They look good, much more space for air flow.

Cheers.
They look healthy as fuck, so this maintenance will just make them that much better.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Nice, thanks
stocking up is the way to go

I make sure to roast, then skin, and then freeze almost all of our harvest.

Then you are cooking with top shelf peppers all year long till the next harvest.
Hatch season has began!!
The grocery store I go to roasts them and also has them fresh. People go crazy here for them.

I’m stoked, will be eating a lot of Hatch for the next month or so!
5DD39E0F-0798-4395-822A-B80E31DD4C28.jpeg
26BCC9A5-B229-4FC0-8FBC-B360C905A218.jpeg176D62BC-87E6-4625-9D7D-93942C6B8913.jpeg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
That looks like Heaven

that is also the biggest pepper roaster I have ever seen
It’s a big deal, there will be lines at the roaster so they need volume! They sell 25lb bags of pre roasted that folks buy to freeze for out of season use.

to tie all of this into the Garden thread, I’m going to collect some seeds from fresh ones to get my own plants started for next year. Probably both hot and mild.I love these things but I’ve never thought to try my own.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I'm a big pepper season fan hut for some reason my super hot pepper crop has been on some bullshit this year. We shall see. I normally harvest mine around September/October
We didn’t do many peppers this year, but we normally do jalapeños, serrano, and Thai chili’s. And piquin, but I pulled that plant last year for some reason??‍♂
I’m bringing piquin back next year, we use a shitload of those and I miss them, and I’m going to try my own Hatch too (from seed hopefully collected while they’re here)

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
My peppers are looking good...except for the purple bells, they are all catching some rot and I am tossing them before maturity

Just ate a Barker(some spicier version of anaheim)...kinda like a hatch maybe?

Also just ate a shishito...it is some hipster pepper...had good flavor

The Poblanos and Padrons are very healthy and the yield will be Huge

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
HEATH VON DOOM @HEATH VON DOOM you ever get the rot spots on your peppers

I think it is from overwatering or maybe not enough calcium in soil...or too much nitrogen

Still gonna be a big year but the bell peppers are going to shit before maturity

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
My peppers are looking good...except for the purple bells, they are all catching some rot and I am tossing them before maturity

Just ate a Barker(some spicier version of anaheim)...kinda like a hatch maybe?

Also just ate a shishito...it is some hipster pepper...had good flavor

The Poblanos and Padrons are very healthy and the yield will be Huge
You give your plants cal mag?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Only my cannabis plants

I think the peppers might like it also...do you use it on yours?
I use it on all my vegetables. Helped my tomatoes with some blossom end rot early on. Peppers I don't ever really get blossom end rot, but it's good for them anyways.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I use it on all my vegetables. Helped my tomatoes with some blossom end rot early on. Peppers I don't ever really get blossom end rot, but it's good for them anyways.
Right on
I will give them some tomorrow
I don't usually get rot but this is a different soil so the minerals are maybe not what I am used to working with