Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Damn, that sounds pretty terrible.
This article isn't from this year, but this is from the main local Austin newspaper:

A recent scourge of Austin has rolled into town bringing a persistent stickiness, one covering garbage cans and garden hoses, sidewalks and streets, and, perhaps most annoyingly, cars.

The last few weeks, a transparent or amber-colored glaze has rolled unceasingly across windshields and side mirrors and over hoods, giving a certain grossness to many Austin yards.

“We get calls about it every day,” said Michael Embesi, arborist for the City of Austin.

The wishful thinking is that it’s sap. The reality is decidedly scatological.

The culprits are aphids, tiny, soft-bodied insects that reproduce rapidly and love to feed on nothing more than new leaves, especially of pecans and crepe myrtles — just the sort of trees Austin has in droves.

Euphemistically, the sticky stuff is called honeydew. In the entomological literature, it’s known as “energy-rich anal secretion.” In the colloquial, said Jeff Ferris, a staffer at the Natural Gardener, “It’s aphid poop.”

Sometimes known as “plant lice,” aphids “draw sap from plant tissue using mouthparts adapted for piercing and sucking,” according to “Aphids in Texas Landscapes,” a pamphlet by the Texas Agricultural Service. The insects then excrete indigestible bits as the sugar-water-like honeydew.

This year, the aphid infestation seems worse than usual.

“A plague,” Ferris said. “It’s definitely one for the books. We get this every year, just not at the level we see this year. We’re already seeing predator insects showing up in large numbers.”

The spike, Embesi said, is probably related to July rains that contributed unusual new leaf growth. The aphids attack before the new growth had hardened. Making things more problematic: Aphids can reproduce faster than any other insect.

But as irritating as the honeydew is, the aphids are relatively harmless.

“As an individual, if I exercise and eat right and am healthy — when I get a cold, it’s no big deal,” Ferris said. “If trees are healthy, properly watered and mulched, this is a cold to them.”

“With a sick plant, this can turn into something else.”

Mike Merchant, an urban entomologist in Dallas with Texas AgriLife Extension Service, said the honeydew can lead to the formation of black sooty mold on the plants.

“That’s worse than the aphid feeding,” Merchant said. “Most plants can feed a bunch of aphids without hurting the plant. The mold makes plants look really ugly, like spraying black spray paint on the plant.”

The mold also weakens the plant, discouraging photosynthesis.

The aphid problem can be thwarted by spraying leaves with water for five minutes or less, three days a week, to knock aphids off. Honeydew, too, washes easily off cars.

Other steps include using insecticidal soaps or horticultural oils. Arborists and entomologists only guardedly recommend commercial pesticides, which can actually deter predator insects and have been associated with some environmental problems.

Certain types of ants love honeydew so much that they shepherd and protect the aphids — willing even to chase off ladybugs and other aphid predators. Is there any other good that comes from aphids?

“No,” said Merchant, “I can’t say there’s a whole lot good about them.”

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Those shitcunts... I've seen this online but thankfully never in person. Looks like a real nuisance.

Are they big enough to see with the naked eye? Whenever I see a mealybug on my miracle fruit tree I stab it with a toothpick.
You can see them with a naked eye, but they’re small. I just smash them with my thumb or fingers. But there’s a fuck load of them, so it takes some patience.
Look at the 3rd pic, second post, I made. They’re the little white furry looking fuckers. Easy to kill, but they have strength in numbers.
Fortunately we’ve had some rain during the infestation. So I haven’t had to deal with the sticky shit everywhere and the associated black mold.

I kind of saved my little calamansi last night by killing a bunch. And I just took another pass through the killing fields, and then I sprayed the underside of the leaves with the hose to blast away whoever may be left. Now the plant is quarantined back in the garage.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
@conor mcgregor nut hugger have you ever had to use a pesticide on your citrus?

We are that fucked up time of the year where everything is infested with aphids. Happens every year, and there are billions of them on everything with leaves. Only lasts a few weeks to a month, but they do some damage in that time. I don't recall them ever hitting my calamansi tree in the past, but they are hitting the young potted one I have pretty hard, and now I have a bunch of fucked up leaves. They chew into the leaves and suck the sugars out, which basically sucks all of the life out of whatever they are feeding on. I think the flowering trees like crape myrtle are responsible for drawing them in (those trees are very common landscaping trees here), but they will spread to just about anything with leaves. I've used neem based insecticide on trees and shrubs before, but never on a citrus. I have isolated the plant in the garage now, and killed and removed as many as I could last night. But these fuckers are still around in huge numbers for another 2-3 weeks probably. In past years, infestations have been so bad that they can kill almost all of the leaves on a full size mature red oak tree (if left untreated). Shit happens every year, not really much to do about it except treat what you want to save. Any recs for citrus safe insecticide/pesticide? I grew this thing from seed, and it's getting decent in size, so I'm going to be pissed if these little fuckers kill it.
You probably want to go with something with pyrethrin in it. I'd go for the kill over going for management. This is a good product, but I'm wondering if there is a concentrate version since this is somewhat expensive for such a small bottle.

View: https://www.amazon.com/Safer-Brand-Garden-Ounces-5107/dp/B001F9Y1M8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1504728902&sr=1-1&keywords=safer+yard+and+garden&linkCode=sl1&tag=xponics-20&linkId=90c1705652573a5567178ecbf1208920

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Papi Chingon @Papi Chingon after you address the aphid problem, I'd appreciate it if you could recommend some good substitutes for molasses when making compost tea
You can make a tea with just the worm castings themselves, however the blackstrap molasses is what all the microbes will feed on and allow them to multiply. Are you having a hard time sourcing it? It's about $12 for a small jar at Whole Foods or other dirty hippy stores, but you can buy it online in bulk for $22 a gallon delivered. It lasts a few years after opened, so shelf life is a non-issue. You can use it on anything in your garden pretty much (maybe not cacti?) so buying a decent amount is not a waste.
That's the brand I use:

I was unaware of other methods of making it, but according to google you can use brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup. Never heard of that before. I've known forever how beneficial blackstrap molasses is for plants and soil, so I never did any digging to find out alternatives. No idea if any of those substitutes compare. I won't be trying any of them anytime soon.

M

member 3289

You can make a tea with just the worm castings themselves, however the blackstrap molasses is what all the microbes will feed on and allow them to multiply. Are you having a hard time sourcing it? It's about $12 for a small jar at Whole Foods or other dirty hippy stores, but you can buy it online in bulk for $22 a gallon delivered. It lasts a few years after opened, so shelf life is a non-issue. You can use it on anything in your garden pretty much (maybe not cacti?) so buying a decent amount is not a waste.
That's the brand I use:

I was unaware of other methods of making it, but according to google you can use brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup. Never heard of that before. I've known forever how beneficial blackstrap molasses is for plants and soil, so I never did any digging to find out alternatives. No idea if any of those substitutes compare. I won't be trying any of them anytime soon.
Ok. Normal fishing aerator?

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Ok. Normal fishing aerator?
That's a bit more difficult of a question because the worm castings can and do clog shit up. On top of that, you need to make sure the CFM is right for whatever your mixing vessel is (size/power). A simple fishing aerator would most likely not be up for the job. There is a ratio somewhere, but I forgot what it is.
I have personally gone ghetto style over the past few years and just aerated by hand. I take one 5 gallon bucket and just dump its contents into another 5 gallon bucket a few times each 24 hour period.
Long story short, yes and no.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
You probably want to go with something with pyrethrin in it. I'd go for the kill over going for management. This is a good product, but I'm wondering if there is a concentrate version since this is somewhat expensive for such a small bottle.

View: https://www.amazon.com/Safer-Brand-Garden-Ounces-5107/dp/B001F9Y1M8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1504728902&sr=1-1&keywords=safer+yard+and+garden&linkCode=sl1&tag=xponics-20&linkId=90c1705652573a5567178ecbf1208920
Cool, thanks.

and I agree - I want to kill, not just manage. They’ll be gone in several weeks, or if we get a cold snap (unlikely this early), but they do some real damage in the short time they’re here.

FA2E66CC-5C56-42B7-99F4-B279C6AAA9A4.jpeg

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Cool, thanks.

and I agree - I want to kill, not just manage. They’ll be gone in several weeks, or if we get a cold snap (unlikely this early), but they do some real damage in the short time they’re here.

View attachment 16167
I can eliminate almost any pest with one simple ingredient

Diatomaceous Earth
I toss it dry mostly...have made a liquid and sprayed...one big bag will last you for years

Very effective, very safe for pets and humans...don't breathe the dust though, use wind or mask...majority of pest insects are no match for it, but it can also take out beneficials like lady bugs etc(although chemicals also do the same collateral damage to insects)

M

member 3289

Diatomaceous Earth
I toss it dry mostly...have made a liquid and sprayed...one big bag will last you for years

Very effective, very safe for pets and humans...don't breathe the dust though, use wind or mask...majority of pest insects are no match for it, but it can also take out beneficials like lady bugs etc(although chemicals also do the same collateral damage to insects)

Grateful Dude @Grateful Dude you will kill your tree if you do this

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015

Diatomaceous Earth

I have not found success using DE.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I have not found success using DE.
Cannabis or garden?
Success with what exactly?

I've had a lot of success, with various pest insects. Have completely controlled some nasty pests and infestations...It is great in the garden up here, almost all the best gardeners keep it around...good for soil also.

Gets tricky with cannabis because you don't want it all up in your bud once it is sticky...it is an early season preventative for cannabis...we both know you are always fighting something late season with cannabis.

Of course a Pyrethin spray would work well no doubt, along with many others...was just giving another option to have around for a gardner.

Also does it "kill" trees? asking for a friend.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Cannabis or garden?
Success with what exactly?

I've had a lot of success, with various pest insects. Have completely controlled some nasty pests and infestations...It is great in the garden up here, almost all the best gardeners keep it around...good for soil also.

Gets tricky with cannabis because you don't want it all up in your bud once it is sticky...it is an early season preventative for cannabis...we both know you are always fighting something late season with cannabis.

Of course a Pyrethin spray would work well no doubt, along with many others...was just giving another option to have around for a gardner.
Bought it for weed initially, then used it in the garden, and even attempted to use it inside the house from time to time. In my experience it was not effective at doing anything other than making a mess. It is also my belief that it is useless once wet. Still have a shit ton of it.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Bought it for weed initially, then used it in the garden, and even attempted to use it inside the house from time to time. In my experience it was not effective at doing anything other than making a mess. It is also my belief that it is useless once wet. Still have a shit ton of it.
Hmnnn, that is interesting...you never mentioned a particular method used or pest you were trying to eradicate...what was your goal?

Works really good for us...can clean up a garden plant nicely...also can save many a seedling from being eating by pests, boosts survival of our starts big time...huge part of our garden...we smoke aphids and ants with like 98+% effectiveness...so many other pest insects here won't touch it when we apply it, it literally saves half our garden from being chewed up...and this garden is a monster producer of goods...I can only speak for my friends and my own experiences IRL with DE.

I do also know it doesn't kill trees lol...that is ridiculous talk.

Last edited:

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Hmnnn, that is interesting...you never mentioned a particular method used or pest you were trying to eradicate so can't really say what you are doing differently than I am up here.

Works really good for us...can clean up a garden plant nicely...also can save many a seedling from being eating by pests, boosts survival of our starts big time...huge part of our garden...we smoke aphids and ants with like 98+% effectiveness...so many other pest insects here won't touch it when we apply it, it literally saves half our garden from being chewed up...and this garden is a monster producer of goods...I can only speak for my friends and my own experiences IRL with DE...seems to be a lot of other people on the internet that use it regularly with good effect also it seems.

I do know it doesn't kill trees lol...that is ridiculous talk.
Attempted to use it for spider mites and fungus gnats in indoor weed plants. Spider mites were unaffected and fungus gnats may be dropped down a bit in activity initially, but once watered they were back. More application of the DE to the soil restricted water flow considerably from the top, especially as more DE was applied. The yellow sticky traps were very effective for the fungus gnats, as were predatory nemotes. As far as outdoor goes, I used it to attempt control just about everything, but didn't see any real difference, so I applied pest specific products which gave immediate results like BT, Captain Jack's Deadbug, pyrethrin, Dr. Doom, Azamax and a few others that are escaping me. One summer I was getting tons of ants inside, so I thought I'd try out the ever failing DE to see if that did anything to them. I dusted it around baseboards to make a barrier, and those fuckers just walked right over it like ain't no thang. In theory DE seems like a great product, but in field use it failed miserably, in my experience.

No, it won't kill plants, just like it doesn't seem to kill bugs. Might have better luck with chalk, imo.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Attempted to use it for spider mites and fungus gnats in indoor weed plants. Spider mites were unaffected and fungus gnats may be dropped down a bit in activity initially, but once watered they were back. More application of the DE to the soil restricted water flow considerably from the top, especially as more DE was applied. The yellow sticky traps were very effective for the fungus gnats, as were predatory nemotes. As far as outdoor goes, I used it to attempt control just about everything, but didn't see any real difference, so I applied pest specific products which gave immediate results like BT, Captain Jack's Deadbug, pyrethrin, Dr. Doom, Azamax and a few others that are escaping me. One summer I was getting tons of ants inside, so I thought I'd try out the ever failing DE to see if that did anything to them. I dusted it around baseboards to make a barrier, and those fuckers just walked right over it like ain't no thang. In theory DE seems like a great product, but in field use it failed miserably, in my experience.

No, it won't kill plants, just like it doesn't seem to kill bugs. Might have better luck with chalk, imo.
Bummer on the lack of results for you

Ya, on cannabis after an infestation starts it is not a solution according to the growers I know...only good for a preventative anti insect during pre flower time...u need something else if you already have infestation/problem going own...you know this for sure of course.

Ants? It gets em real good here...I use it on my patio(24 by 24 inch pavers) and it eliminates all of the ant colonies, I use it around the house instead of ant poison and it takes use from severe ant issues all year round to one or two issues a year... maybe use your leftover outside to stop them from coming inside?(or maybe your batch is bunk round crystals instead of sharp ass ones or some shit?).

In my experience it smokes aphids...at least up here in Oregon.

Been using it 20+ years now and it is a go-to tool.(not for cannabis though, cannabis pests are the trickiest sadly)

Last edited:

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Ya, on cannabis after an infestation starts it is not a solution according to the growers I know...only good for a preventative anti insect during pre flower time...u need something else if you already have infestation/problem going own...you know this for sure of course.

Ants? It gets em real good here...I use it on my patio(24 by 24 inch pavers) and it eliminates all of the ant colonies, I use it around the house instead of ant poison and it takes use from severe ant issues all year round to one or two issues a year... maybe use your leftover outside to stop them from coming inside?(or maybe your batch is bunk round crystals instead of sharp ass ones or some shit?).

In my experience it smokes aphids...at least up here in Oregon.

Been using it 20+ years every year now and it is a go to tool.(not for cannabis though, cannabis pests are the trickiest for sure sadly)
20200921_205732.jpg
This is what I have. bought a few pounds of it back in maybe '05ish from my local hydro store. Attempted to use it in multiple applications and never saw any noticeable difference, so as a result I still have a few containers left.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I hate those fungus nats
View attachment 16168
This is what I have. bought a few pounds of it back in maybe '05ish from my local hydro store. Attempted to use it in multiple applications and never saw any noticeable difference, so as a result I still have a few containers left.
I get it in a 30 lb bag from the farm store around here...says food grade...can't find an image.
Last me about 3 years.

How is the MOAB doing? Notice any jump in the flowers?
How dem pillars? U gonna use the Caption Jack's this year?

The ash, smoke, fires messed up my single plant this year...it was not a fan of 13 days of 20% light so it is premature and confused plus covered in ash LOL.

This year I will live here thru your bud pics and Freeloading Rusty @Freeloading Rusty 's bud pics

My outdoor buddies here had to leave their crops alone during the fire because of evacuation and they are severely damaged now, not good:oops: