Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Winter fell on the first weekend of January this year in Central Florida where a cold front caused temperatures to dip just below 40° F for about half an hour. We've since returned to 80°, hot and humid, so I figured it was time to start planning my second growing season.

Last year I played around with a few container plants but didn't have any significant yield. This year I wanted to do some sort of raised bed grow, so I got a big circular fabric bed to give me a little more room to experiment. I planted some kale, swiss chard, spinach, lolla rossa lettuce, buttercrunch letuce, sage and parsley. Also got a smaller individual fabric pot and planted a single sweet million cherry tomato seed.

So now, I wait. Who else is planning a garden this year?

Rosemary planted last year. The weeds had taken it over for a few months. Nice and cleaned up now and should bush out quite a bit throughout the year.

Also started a strawberry plant in a container and eventually transplanted it into the ground after it stopped fruiting. Wasn't expecting it to survive, but apparently it did. We'll see what it does.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Pics from last year:

Here's what this little spot looked like when I moved in.

Cleaned up the Birds of Paradise and ripped out all the old tree stumps that were regrowing which left me with a nice little spot to plant.

There was a giant root in the way just past the rosemary so I dug the thing up. Huge pain in the ass. And it killed the tree that it belonged to in the background of this pic. Whoops.

Capped off the end of the bed with a yucca tree that had been neglected at my parents' house for about five years. All the soil in the container had been consumed by the root system.

Finished it with a few random plants and some cypress mulch a few months later.

Last edited:

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I like to think the Birds of Paradise spit this thing out as a thank you for cleaning it up.

Last edited:

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
My container grows. I learned quickly that plants don't like to sit in small pots for very long. I only got one piece of fruit from each plant.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
In.
Hopefully we will be in the new house soon, I keep saying I'm going to do one every year, and I started a small container garden fiveish years ago, but that failed. Maybe this year is my year?

Oh, I do have my herb container. The basil is good, but everything else went meh recently. I'll replant whatever else I want again.

Got to do some of those coool ones you see "grow a romaine head from the leftovers!" "Grow avocado from the seed!" I did the romaine when I tried to potted, and I wound up with a full head, but got lazy after that.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I was never really into gardening, but last year for the fuck of it I planted a few seeds here and there

And I must say over the last year it's really grown on me

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
In.
Hopefully we will be in the new house soon, I keep saying I'm going to do one every year, and I started a small container garden fiveish years ago, but that failed. Maybe this year is my year?

Oh, I do have my herb container. The basil is good, but everything else went meh recently. I'll replant whatever else I want again.

Got to do some of those coool ones you see "grow a romaine head from the leftovers!" "Grow avocado from the seed!" I did the romaine when I tried to potted, and I wound up with a full head, but got lazy after that.
Do it! And let's see some herb container pics...

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I do a raised bed in our side yard. I will start the plants inside by seed in a few weeks; plainning 6-8 tomato plants, cucumbers, watermelon and sweet potatoes.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I don't have any pictures handy, but my wife has her winter garden going. We have 3 raised beds and some smaller stuff in pots, and right now we are growing some kind of lettuce/leafy green, beets, radishes, brussel sprouts, carrots, broccoli, shallots, rosemary. She has some green onions and herbs in the house as well. She just planted some other seeds, but don't remember what.

In the spring we'll switch it up to include tomatoes, several kinds of peppers, and whatever else she wants to grow. We also have a calamansi tree (Filipino citrus fruit) that has really started to produce this past year. Thinking about adding a lime and/or lemon tree soon.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Got to do some of those coool ones you see "grow a romaine head from the leftovers!" "Grow avocado from the seed!"
My wife has done both of those with success. She also does that with shallots and green onions. We have a ball jar with a little water on our kitchen counter with a bunch of green onions growing. I like easy gardening

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I do a raised bed in our side yard. I will start the plants inside by seed in a few weeks; plainning 6-8 tomato plants, cucumbers, watermelon and sweet potatoes.
What kind of tomoatoes do you have? All the same, or different? We had 4 different kinds last year (6 plants total). We had a ton, which is awesome because fresh garden tomatoes are the best.

I'd like to try growing some sweet potatoes. And maybe some strawberries like IschKabibble @IschKabibble

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
Hey gangsterkathryn @gangsterkathryn.......don't forget!
When I get home! It was too dark when I left for work.
Nothing big, though.

My wife has done both of those with success. She also does that with shallots and green onions. We have a ball jar with a little water on our kitchen counter with a bunch of green onions growing. I like easy gardening
My one romaine head grew very well. I would love to try it with garlic because I go through so much, I probably stink.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
What kind of tomoatoes do you have? All the same, or different? We had 4 different kinds last year (6 plants total). We had a ton, which is awesome because fresh garden tomatoes are the best.

I'd like to try growing some sweet potatoes. And maybe some strawberries like IschKabibble @IschKabibble
Sweet potatoes are easy, just need to make sure the soil is really loose or the potatoes will all grow together into a twisted mass.
I usually do different varieties. My wife likes the yellow tomatoes, kids like the cherry and grape, and I prefer beefsteak tomatoes. I usually let the kids pick some varieties from the burpee catalog in late January, and start the seeds inside in February.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
When I get home! It was too dark when I left for work.
Nothing big, though.

My one romaine head grew very well. I would love to try it with garlic because I go through so much, I probably stink.
Haven't tried it with garlic, but we should as we also use a lot. The shallots grew well though, super easy

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Sweet potatoes are easy, just need to make sure the soil is really loose or the potatoes will all grow together into a twisted mass.
I usually do different varieties. My wife likes the yellow tomatoes, kids like the cherry and grape, and I prefer beefsteak tomatoes. I usually let the kids pick some varieties from the burpee catalog in late January, and start the seeds inside in February.
Sounds similar to our tomato selection. So good out of the garden!

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
Haven't tried it with garlic, but we should as we also use a lot. The shallots grew well though, super easy
I actually don't use shallots often because my parents don't like them (weirdos), but read they were easiest. Hopefully only one more year of living with them, because I'm ready to get back to cooking and having my own kitchen. My mom is kind of an asshole when it comes to that stuff.
I loved helping my mom garden when I was little, I never had the opportunity when I was older, we weren't allowed real gardens in our home where I grew up, but the new house has no HOA, so I'm really excited.