General *Gas Price Thread* - Post here and Track Biden-flation.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

My next car will be electric. I've talked to electric vehicle owners, and the amount they spend on software updates (i.e. maintenance) is far less than what the owner of a gasoline-powered vehicle spends.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
My next car will be electric. I've talked to electric vehicle owners, and the amount they spend on software updates (i.e. maintenance) is far less than what the owner of a gasoline-powered vehicle spends.
I'll go electric when their trucks can deliver the same power - for the same distance - as a gas powered truck.

I hauled a 5500 lb camper about 200 miles this weekend, then after I got to the campsite I towed 3 giant trees out of the woods with a chain so they could be processed for firewood. Then the next morning I drove home 200 miles.

Call me when the electric trucks can do that.

M

member 3289

I'll go electric when their trucks can deliver the same power - for the same distance - as a gas powered truck.

I hauled a 5500 lb camper about 200 miles this weekend, then after I got to the campsite I towed 3 giant trees out of the woods with a chain so they could be processed for firewood. Then the next morning I drove home 200 miles.

You drive a Ford Ranger

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021

Posted this on another forum for a similar topic:

Can always convert your vehicle to nat gas & fill up at home if you have a nat gas connection. There are also cng stations scattered around.

On the West Coast, many utilities charge around $1.50/Therm.
1 Therm = 100,000 BTU’s
1 Gallon Gas = 125,000 BTU’s

You’ll lose about 20% mpg’s if not optimizing the engine for cng but I doubt you’ll get a payback from new cams, pistons, etc… Some vehicles are $6-8k to convert, others far less. A cng pump at your home will start at $500 for a GE or Whirpool unit.

Something to think about for those who drive a lot but don’t venture too far from home w/out infrastructure to support longer trips.

I've known several Tesla owners without their cars for 4-6mo due to a backlog of cars waiting to be worked on. Also know another who had to shell out close to 20k for a new/refurbished battery after 6-7yrs. Batteries are allowed to degrade 7% every year. IC engines are still breaking in at 50k miles & there have been countless one going hundreds of thousands of miles, even millions of miles, with good care. Food for thought.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Posted this on another forum for a similar topic:

Can always convert your vehicle to nat gas & fill up at home if you have a nat gas connection. There are also cng stations scattered around.

On the West Coast, many utilities charge around $1.50/Therm.
1 Therm = 100,000 BTU’s
1 Gallon Gas = 125,000 BTU’s

You’ll lose about 20% mpg’s if not optimizing the engine for cng but I doubt you’ll get a payback from new cams, pistons, etc… Some vehicles are $6-8k to convert, others far less. A cng pump at your home will start at $500 for a GE or Whirpool unit.

Something to think about for those who drive a lot but don’t venture too far from home w/out infrastructure to support longer trips.

I've known several Tesla owners without their cars for 4-6mo due to a backlog of cars waiting to be worked on. Also know another who had to shell out close to 20k for a new/refurbished battery after 6-7yrs. Batteries are allowed to degrade 7% every year. IC engines are still breaking in at 50k miles & there have been countless one going hundreds of thousands of miles, even millions of miles, with good care. Food for thought.
I think we are still a decade away from electric vehicles fully replacing their combustible counterparts. That's why clamping down on the oil sector now is foolish and premature.

We will get to that point eventually, but the pathway isn't with legislation. Technology should lead the way, and when the capabilities of electric vehicles is as good as combustible engines - the change will happen with much less disruption.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
I think we are still a decade away from electric vehicles fully replacing their combustible counterparts. That's why clamping down on the oil sector now is foolish and premature.

We will get to that point eventually, but the pathway isn't with legislation. Technology should lead the way, and when the tech for electric vehicles is as good as combustible engines - the change will happen with much less disruption.
It's being forced onto the industry. We will end up polluting in different ways but still polluting. Battery production is far from a clean process. Fires from them are nearly impossible to extinguish as well. As with the power grid, I believe we need to transition into cleaner yet proven reliable technologies that work with our current infrastructure while developing other technologies to replace them. What we are currently doing is pie in the sky bs that will empower a few different groups but leave us holding the bag in the end.