General *Gas Price Thread* - Post here and Track Biden-flation.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I know when an electric forklift has its battery take a shit you are generally better off buying a new lift instead of a new battery.

How long are these EV batteries supposed to last? And how much is a replacement battery?

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
How long are these EV batteries supposed to last? And how much is a replacement battery?
Ford’s Lightening battery is expected to last 250,000+ miles. Muchmuch longer than most people own a vehicle. 100,000 mile warranty.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
I know when an electric forklift has its battery take a shit you are generally better off buying a new lift instead of a new battery.

Don’t worry you get an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. Then it’s only 15-20k to replace.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Just paid 5.29 a gallon

Said I would be pissed when I paid over 5

I'm pissed

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Ford’s Lightening battery is expected to last 250,000+ miles. Muchmuch longer than most people own a vehicle. 100,000 mile warranty.
And how long before diminishing returns start showing up?

Again, basing it off electric forklifts...as batteries age they hold less and less of a charge. With a new lift you might be able to go 1 week without plugging it in depending on workload - but eventualy you have to charge it during lunch to make sure it can make it to the end of the shift.

Batteries don't go from working to not. It's a slow death.

M

member 3289

And how long before diminishing returns start showing up?

Again, basing it off electric forklifts...as batteries age they hold less and less of a charge. With a new lift you might be able to go 1 week without plugging it in depending on workload - but eventualy you have to charge it during lunch to make sure it can make it to the end of the shift.

Batteries don't go from working to not. It's a slow death.
Anecdotal but I know a guy with a Tesla Model S. He's had it for 5 years and has spent less than $5k in maintenance (mostly software updates). That's on top of the $0 he spends on gas.

So $5,000 in five years for fuel and maintenance. No gas-powered car in the world comes close to that.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Don’t worry you get an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. Then it’s only 15-20k to replace.
Not sure I'll be too eager to drop $20k on a vehicle with 120k miles.

I average about 25k miles a year on my vehicles. So roughly every 5 years I'm either buying a new vehicle or dropping $20k on a battery. I suppose I could budget an extra $340/month to cover the inevitable battery replacement expense. But that feels pretty stupid.

And then there's this:
Time to fill up enough gas to go 500 miles: 5 minutes.
Time to charge an EV to go 500 400 300 200 miles? 8 fucking hours.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Anecdotal but I know a guy with a Tesla Model S. He's had it for 5 years and has spent less than $5k in maintenance (mostly software updates). That's on top of the $0 he spends on gas.

So $5,000 in five years for fuel and maintenance. No gas-powered car in the world comes close to that.
100%
Electric vehicles (and forklifts) have very little mechanically that go wrong with them compared to their combustible counterparts.

Until the battery goes. Then it's a boat anchor.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Time to charge an EV to go 500 400 300 200 miles? 8 fucking hours
Not true anymore. Now that there are more competitors that's dropped massively.

Like cell phone batteries, given the rapid charging stations, you can go from nada to 80% in about 20 minutes on some new cars. So about the time it takes you to fill up with gas and drop a giant deuce after eating that weird Cincinnati chili spaghetti crap.