Lifestyle Gave my cats a haircut

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
still looks happy lol

one of my cats would die before staying still that long

M

member 3289

Not the best photo because of the glare from the open window, but here's my boy with a fresh cut:

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Not the best photo because of the glare from the open window, but here's my boy with a fresh cut:

I got a 15+ LB male...If I shave him he would look like Jabba the hut

How big is that dude? looks rather hefty

Big cats like that suck and cleaning themselves...my big feller cleans himself like 10 minutes per day and does a shitty job...greasy little dude

Got a brindlecoat female and she cleans herself thoroughly for like 2 -3 hours a day...fur is immaculate and soft at all times

M

member 3289

I took the shitbox to another level too. So far it's much better than the normal ones.

Does it work? It might be worth it if so, as those machine ones are hundreds of dollars.

I have a dome with a filter on top so that I don't ever gave to see or smell it (aside from when I clean it every few days).

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
16 lbs. Longer frame bc he's part Maine Coon, so he doesn't look too bad when shaved.
Ya I got a no tail stocky thug with giant rear legs a gut + small head(fixed him really early)...I think he would look horrible...like a pear shaped cat LOL
Where do you live?....I bet cats love to be cooler in hot climates....Oregon is not too hot so not many people shave em down here

M

member 3289

Ya I got a no tail stocky thug with giant rear legs a gut + small head(fixed him really early)...I think he would look horrible...like a pear shaped cat LOL
Where do you live?....I bet cats love to be cooler in hot climates....Oregon is not too hot so not many people shave em down here
South Florida. The summers are brutally humid.

When his hair gets too long my allergies just go nuts. And he's a pussy who won't sleep anywhere but my and my wife's bed. But as soon as I shave him the allergies stop.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Does it work? It might be worth it if so, as those machine ones are hundreds of dollars.

I have a dome with a filter on top so that I don't ever gave to see or smell it (aside from when I clean it every few days).
We've had it for 2 weeks or so and it works pretty close to as advertised. Once a week you still need a compete clean out but that screen and sliding thing make it quick and easy. My kids do it either way and this one takes less time and your not really handling cat piss/shit.

M

member 3289

Shit was getting long as fuck and really starting to bother me, so I gave him a fresh cut yesterday.

Used a 7 FC trimmer blade this time instead of the 10 FC.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Shit was getting long as fuck and really starting to bother me, so I gave him a fresh cut yesterday.

Used a 7 FC trimmer blade this time instead of the 10 FC.

You did that yourself? How'd he take it? I'm considering trying myself but after rereading OP I remember how deadly it can be.

M

member 3289

You did that yourself? How'd he take it? I'm considering trying myself but after rereading OP I remember how deadly it can be.
Yeah I've always done it myself. $65 for clippers one time beats $75-100 for a groomer to do it every time.

As far as how he took it, he will never, ever make it easy for me, but I've learned with practice how to make it as smooth as possible. There are two key things - location and blade temperature.

For location, I do it in an enclosed area so that he doesn't see an escape route.

You also don't want the blade get too hot. The only times he's ever bitten or scratched was when I was unknowingly using a hot blade. So every time the blade started to get hot, I turned off the trimmer, sprayed it with cooling spray, and let it sit for 20-30 seconds. It gave me time to hand-sweep all the hair into a pile.

I start with the back area and move to the sides and neck depending on the position he's choosing to lie in. For under his neck, I hold his chin up so that I don't inadvertently shave off his whiskers. For his belly, I stand him up, grab his two front paws in one hand, and trim the belly hair with the trimmer in the other hand. I extend each front leg with one hand and then shave under.

The most difficult area is definitely the hind legs and balls/anus, but I've learned to do it as quickly as possible. The blade DEFINITELY needs to be cool in this area or you're gonna get attacked.

Like I said, it's never what I would call easy, but it still beats paying a groomer every 4-6 months.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah I've always done it myself. $65 for clippers one time beats $75-100 for a groomer to do it every time.

As far as how he took it, he will never, ever make it easy for me, but I've learned with practice how to make it as smooth as possible. There are two key things - location and blade temperature.

For location, I do it in an enclosed area so that he doesn't see an escape route.

You also don't want the blade get too hot. The only times he's ever bitten or scratched was when I was unknowingly using a hot blade. So every time the blade started to get hot, I turned off the trimmer, sprayed it with cooling spray, and let it sit for 20-30 seconds. It gave me time to hand-sweep all the hair into a pile.

I start with the back area and move to the sides and neck depending on the position he's choosing to lie in. For under his neck, I hold his chin up so that I don't inadvertently shave off his whiskers. For his belly, I stand him up, grab his two front paws in one hand, and trim the belly hair with the trimmer in the other hand. I extend each front leg with one hand and then shave under.

The most difficult area is definitely the hind legs and balls/anus, but I've learned to do it as quickly as possible. The blade DEFINITELY needs to be cool in this area or you're gonna get attacked.

Like I said, it's never what I would call easy, but it still beats paying a groomer every 4-6 months.
Good info thanks. Got a link to the clippers you use and any attachments? I think I need to try myself. The cost sucks for a groomer but its more about finding the time to take them there that's makes me keep putting it off.

M

member 3289

Good info thanks. Got a link to the clippers you use and any attachments? I think I need to try myself. The cost sucks for a groomer but its more about finding the time to take them there that's makes me keep putting it off.
I'm 90% sure the brand is Wahl but I'll check when I get home bc I can't find the exact model.