Gegard Mousasi: ‘I feel the UFC is declining’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Gegard Mousasi was a high-level middleweight in the UFC, but was never able to secure a title shot there. After getting tired of it, he decided to move on to greener pastures - Bellator MMA. In just two fights in the organization, he is their middleweight champion and will facing off with Rory MacDonald in one of the bigger fights of 2018 at the end of this month.

On a conference call to hype Bellator 206, Mousasi was asked a few questions about his former employer and how it compares to the treatment he has received from Bellator. And Mousasi being Mousasi, he was very blunt in his assessment.

“I feel the UFC is declining because they’re putting on bad cards, the main events are not…

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The next three months should be good for them but Gegards got a point. Their cards haven’t been great this year.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
The next three months should be good for them but Gegards got a point. Their cards haven’t been great this year.
Very true. Then when you add it together with the nonsense the UFC is doing it's just not the same org any more. The nonsense with Conor, Lesnar and now the way they have given Jones a pass basically to cheat and snitch. I don't get the same feel about the UFC that I used to when the Fertitas were running it. At least then the titles had a bit of credibility.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015

I agree with this male model^^^^^

but he is throwing stones from glass houses because bellator has it's own problems with providing a good product. they don't even air their events live on the west coast.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

I agree with this male model^^^^^

but he is throwing stones from glass houses because bellator has it's own problems with providing a good product. they don't even air their events live on the west coast.
fuking Gegard is a bad mofo
look at him lol...that dude is smiling assassin

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017

Gegard Mousasi was a high-level middleweight in the UFC, but was never able to secure a title shot there. After getting tired of it, he decided to move on to greener pastures - Bellator MMA. In just two fights in the organization, he is their middleweight champion and will facing off with Rory MacDonald in one of the bigger fights of 2018 at the end of this month.

On a conference call to hype Bellator 206, Mousasi was asked a few questions about his former employer and how it compares to the treatment he has received from Bellator. And Mousasi being Mousasi, he was very blunt in his assessment.

“I feel the UFC is declining because they’re putting on bad cards, the main events are not…

He is not wrong, but then he compares it to Bellator by bringing up Ramage, Wandy & Mitrione

“We have a lot of big names fighting now in Bellator. You have Quinton (Jackson) vs. Wanderlei (Silva), that’s a superfight on its own, obviously (Lyoto) Machida is now here. Ryan Bader. You have Matt Mitrione, you have so many big names.

If those were main eventers in UFC on big cards, it would be a bad sign.

I never get promoting your brand/business, by discrediting the others.
Smart promotion is to focus on the good.
MMA as a whole is losing interest, promote what a great sport it is & how the fights are unlike others & stick to your brands positives.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
He is not wrong, but then he compares it to Bellator by bringing up Ramage, Wandy & Mitrione

“We have a lot of big names fighting now in Bellator. You have Quinton (Jackson) vs. Wanderlei (Silva), that’s a superfight on its own, obviously (Lyoto) Machida is now here. Ryan Bader. You have Matt Mitrione, you have so many big names.

MMA as a whole is losing interest, promote what a great sport it is & how the fights are unlike others & stick to your brands positives.
I fully agree, but Lyoto Machida recently did main event a UFC card (vs Anders)

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I fully agree, but Lyoto Machida recently did main event a UFC card (vs Anders)
Machida is a bit of a different animal in that equation. His last fight in the UFC was the first time that he wasn't in the main event since 2013.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015

That's how I, my company, sell our products. I'll talk about how we're better but never talk about how the other companies are bad.

Bellator needs the UFC to be healthy and the UFC needs Bellator to be healthy. It creates a better atmosphere and produces better fights overall. That will help the MMA landscape to grow instead of slowly eroding.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
That's how I, my company, sell our products. I'll talk about how we're better but never talk about how the other companies are bad.

Bellator needs the UFC to be healthy and the UFC needs Bellator to be healthy. It creates a better atmosphere and produces better fights overall. That will help the MMA landscape to grow instead of slowly eroding.
100% agree

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
ugh >_< ..... say what you will about Bellator, but Gegard ain't wrong.

I look at what the UFC could be with some changes that are entirely within their control, as opposed to what they are now, and it's heart rending.

wiz

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2016
Even if UFC is declining, it's a slow decline. There are still plenty of fights that people are interested in.

On the other hand, who is Gegard going to fight in the Bellator middleweight division? Nobody, that's why he's fighting a welterweight.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Even if UFC is declining, it's a slow decline. There are still plenty of fights that people are interested in.

On the other hand, who is Gegard going to fight in the Bellator middleweight division? Nobody, that's why he's fighting a welterweight.
He'll lose the belt to Rafael Lovato Jr as soon as they book that fight.