Gegard Mousasi to defend Bellator middleweight title against Rory MacDonald in September

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Gegard Mousasi to defend Bellator middleweight title against Rory MacDonald in September

Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
Rory MacDonald wanted it. Gegard Mousasi wanted it. And now it’s going to happen.

Mousasi will defend his Bellator middleweight title against welterweight champion Rory MacDonald on Sept. 29 in San Jose, Calif., sources confirmed Thursday with MMA Fighting. ESPN was the first to report the news of the superfight.

Mousasi (44-6-2) won the Bellator middleweight title by first-round TKO over Rafael Carvalho at Bellator 200last month. The former UFC top contender has won seven straight overall. Mousasi, 32, signed with Bellator last year, leaving the UFC despite being one of the higher ranked middleweights in the world. He was perhaps Bellator’s most significant signing to date.

MacDonald (20-4) has won two in a row since coming over to Bellator from the UFC. The Canadian fighter won the Bellator welterweight title by unanimous decision over Douglas Lima at Bellator 192 in January. MacDonald, 28, has won five of his last seven fights and was a title contender in the UFC against Robbie Lawler.

There is no official number placed on the Bellator event yet. San Jose is the longtime home base of Bellator president Scott Coker and big cards come to the city on a regular basis. This main event would be one of the best ones — in terms of quality of fighter — in Bellator history.

Sources also confirmed ESPN’s confirmation that Quinton Jackson will face Wanderlei Silva on the same Bellator card Sept. 29. Silva had posted about it earlier this week on social media.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Great fight. Lands on the same card as wandy vs Rampage right? I really hope that they throw this even on cbs or showtime.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
So rory could become their first 2 division champ and do whatever the fook he wants maybe

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Great fight
I hope the distribution announcement next week is something big
Nobody seems to have an insight so far

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
2 broken noses and a lot of blood .rory by decision
I ran into Dave in Vancouver last weekend at a BJJ tourney, his son is like 6 now and got his first no gi gold. I wonder if Dave will be head coach going into this.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Steak fed Rory is gonna surprise Moose.
Gonna be interesting to see him bulked up...could surprise me also...a bit more power on his strikes could change things

mous has composure and experience on his side and looks to have a reach advantage

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
mous has an answer for everything
and a lot of blood on Rory face

I think this one may get stopped in 3rd round
I think Rory will be stronger and the aggressor in this fight. Would love to see how they match up in the grappling, I'm calling Rory via TKO.