GGG VS Canelo Alvarez Superfight LIVE Discussion - 9/16/17

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

AT LAST!!!!!

Unified middleweight world titleholder Gennady Golovkin will defend his belts against former champion Canelo Alvarez on Saturday, Sept. 16.

Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) has 18 straight defenses in the division and is looking to get closer to the record held by Bernardo Hopkins, who made 20 middleweight title defenses between 1994 and 2005.

Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) will now campaign as a full-fledged 160-pound middleweight following his one-sided unanimous decision victory against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on May 6. Alvarez hasn't lost a fight since dropping a majority decision against Floyd Mayweather in 2013.

Canelo vs Golovkin: Let the real fight take center stage

Mayweather-McGregor is over. And now we move on to something more important for boxing.

Now that the noise is over, now that Floyd Mayweather has stopped Conor McGregor in an entertaining novelty fight, we have less than a month remaining before boxing’s next big showdown, and one that is, for the sport, far more important.

On September 16, Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin will meet for middleweight supremacy at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, the same building that housed Mayweather-McGregor.

This is a fight years in the making, dating back to Alvarez’s 2013 loss to Floyd Mayweather, after which he began refusing to fight at a 154-pound limit, instead forcing 155-pound limits and, because he’s popular, eventually getting a WBC middleweight title fight in 2015 with Miguel Cotto, at that weight, five pounds south of the division’s limit.

Alvarez’s run as WBC middleweight champion was short. He defended once, against Amir Khan in May 2016, a fight that was ridiculed from the moment it was signed, and became what it was expected to be, with Khan’s speed playing a factor early before Alvarez scored a devastating sixth round knockout.

Alvarez gave up the belt rather than face Golovkin (37-0, 33 KO), who refused to budge on the weight and drop below 160 for a catchweight bout that would only suit Alvarez. Canelo instead made the 154-pound limit again to beat Liam Smith last September for the WBO junior middleweight title — another fight that was largely trashed by the media and fans — and then came up all the way to a 164-pound catchweight for what turned out to be his most laughable fight yet, an all-Mexico showdown on May 6 of this year against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. We’re still waiting for Chavez to actually show up to that fight.

While Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KO) stalled, he also made money. His fight with Chavez was a major pay-per-view success, and immediately after it was over, Gennady Golovkin was introduced to the crowd in Las Vegas as Canelo’s next opponent.

Golovkin, 35, is eight years Alvarez’s senior. He’s held at least one version of the middleweight title since 2010, and has thrashed most of his opposition since then. He began his U.S. career in 2012, destroying Grzegorz Proksa in a little-watched HBO fight.

But time has been kind to Golovkin, and he’s created his own buzz with his sensational performances. On HBO, he’s stopped Gabriel Rosado, Matthew Macklin, Curtis Stevens, Daniel Geale, Marco Antonio Rubio, Martin Murray, Willie Monroe Jr, Dominic Wade, and Kell Brook. He’s also had a pair of pay-per-view dates, smashing David Lemieux in 2015, and then this year, against Daniel Jacobs, where Golovkin struggled a bit and won a narrow decision.

There are some, notably ESPN analyst and boxing lifer Teddy Atlas, who feel Golovkin has slipped over the last couple of years, that he’s ripe for the picking against the younger Alvarez, who at 27 is really just entering his prime despite a very impressive career already. He had some trouble with an undersized Brook before he broke the Brit’s eye socket, and Jacobs gave him fits at times.

Still, Canelo-GGG has been demanded for some time now. It probably should have already happened, but was left to marinate until there was, frankly, no other option left for Canelo, the golden boy of Golden Boy, Oscar De La Hoya’s golden goose.

The time is right, or at least right enough. Mayweather-McGregor wasn’t the utter embarrassment to boxing many feared it might be, but it also wasn’t a true high-level boxing match, either.

This will be. Golovkin and Alvarez are both top fighters, fighting for three major titles and the lineal championship of the middleweight division. If you saved your money and didn’t buy Mayweather-McGregor, good on you. But this is a fight that is genuinely worth pay-per-view, if anything is. Mayweather-McGregor may have been the biggest money fight possible, and that’s all well and good, but for a fight fan, Canelo-GGG is something far more significant than an event.

This will be a fight. And it deserves its time in the spotlight.

Juanandonly

Deserves got nothing to do with it
Mar 19, 2016
Should be great. Been waiting for this for a long time. Triple G is no joke but Canelo was born for this. Got a ride with Canelo

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Initially I thought Canelo, as it gets closer I start leaning GGG.
All I know right now is it's unmissable.

And that video^^^might be the sickest promotional fight video I've ever seen.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
This is a really tough fight to call, but I think canelo has the superior technical boxing skills, so he is who I am picking to win.

Ed_Stark

I am coming
Oct 24, 2015
I've thought about this match up for a few years. I initially thought GGG size and skill/power would overwhelm Canelo. But judging on their last couple fights GGG looks like he's lost a step, he could've been carrying the fight tho to get Canelo to bite. But on the flip side Canelo has been on a tear and looking sharper than before. I honestly don't know who to pick. I cannot wait to see this. My body is ready.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Khan would bingo both these guys on the same night
Play Bingo against them... Play bingo.

He is from Bolton, cant say I have ever been to Bolton but it's in the north and for some fucking reason they love Bingo in the north. It's not even a bloody game.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Play Bingo against them... Play bingo.

He is from Bolton, cant say I have ever been to Bolton but it's in the north and for some fucking reason they love Bingo in the north. It's not even a bloody game.
I've been to Bolton. They have a pyramid made of Glass

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
GGG by footwork and ........ wait for it........ MMA angles :)

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
I think Canelo's jab will dominate the fight, or at least enough to win 7 rounds. GGG hasn't looked the same the last couple fights, he could've been trying to look vulnerable to land the fight, but I'm not believing that. Should be great either way

Last edited:

SCADA

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
There are GGG haters? How can you hate the guy, comes to fight all the time
Maybe haters is the correct term...doubters might be more relevant. You know those guys that keep saying "he's not as good as everyone thinks"

Bla bla bla...."Jacobs will beat him because he's overrated".

Just enjoy the show and STFU, IMO.