Goddamn injuries

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Just sprained my ankle week before last. The bruising is gone so I went back to privates and friends rolling in the garage. Waiting until I have no pain to go back to the gym.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Just sprained my ankle week before last. The bruising is gone so I went back to privates and friends rolling in the garage. Waiting until I have no pain to go back to the gym.
make sure you do some strengthening exercises now to reduce the risk of reinjury. I've sprained/strained many ankles, mostly my own. I know these exercises work, but talk to a pro. Splinty @Splinty or SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD

tracing the alphabet with your toes.
sitting in chair, push down on your foot so it's flat on the floor, start moving your knee side-to-side.
sit on the floor with your legs stretched out, use a towel to pull the ball of your foot towards you.

and in the mornings I like to add the range-of-motion stretch where you put your ankle on the opposite knee, hold the shin and slowly roll the ankle with the opposite hand. But I don't usually do that one until the swelling is under control.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
make sure you do some strengthening exercises now to reduce the risk of reinjury. I've sprained/strained many ankles, mostly my own. I know these exercises work, but talk to a pro. Splinty @Splinty or SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD

tracing the alphabet with your toes.
sitting in chair, push down on your foot so it's flat on the floor, start moving your knee side-to-side.
sit on the floor with your legs stretched out, use a towel to pull the ball of your foot towards you.

and in the mornings I like to add the range-of-motion stretch where you put your ankle on the opposite knee, hold the shin and slowly roll the ankle with the opposite hand. But I don't usually do that one until the swelling is under control.
Dunno why I just saw this, but great advice! I've sprained this man's ankles more times than I care to count- I should post pictures of the softball-sized bumps I now have where my ankles used to be.

Here's what I decided to do with the time I couldn't train:
  1. As soon as the swelling went down, I signed up for physical therapy
  2. I got a great Sweedo lace-up brace and started taking private lessons once a week at my gym
  3. I have mats at the house, so I invited a good (read: safe) training buddy over once a week to rep the stuff I'm learning in the privates
The ankle is good enough to go back to the gym this week and I have a ton of new techniques to try and hit in open rolls. Seemed to be the best use of otherwise wasted down-time.

diet butcher

Purple Member
Jan 19, 2015
I was rolling the other day and hurt/felt a pop in my side.
Deep breathes and pressure on the side hurt. Couldn't even get through warm up the following day.
Taking a couple days off to recoup.
hows them ribs bro? I jacked my ribs in a tournament back in September. Was out for 2 months. Just started training again, not fully healed yet. I'm at about 95%, avoiding sparring with heavier guys and spazzy white belts.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
hows them ribs bro? I jacked my ribs in a tournament back in September. Was out for 2 months. Just started training again, not fully healed yet. I'm at about 95%, avoiding sparring with heavier guys and spazzy white belts.
Thanks for asking.
Feeling better. Ready to get back into it next week.

Lucky for me we don't have any spazzes but I will be weary of bigger guys now.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Been having this strange leg pain. It's right below my right knee and feels like a scan being ripped off when moved in the right place. I can smack it, like it and all that but if I roll my skin to the side it a brutal flair up pain that lasts 4-5 seconds before going away. My googling suggest a bursae, anybody have this before? It's brutal when people are trying to toreando or if I'm trying to roll up to my knees from side .

Splinty @Splinty
SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD