Gonna try a 4 week bulk using bodyweight exercises

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
Belt squats-- I'm picturing a hip harness with either a chain w/plates or a dumbbell hanging? Who would you say influences your program? Assuming your tournament competitor doesn't read this stuff... what is your secret bjj weapon/dirty trick? I appreciate your candor.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Belt squats-- I'm picturing a hip harness with either a chain w/plates or a dumbbell hanging?
Correct. I use a barbell for ease of use, you can see plenty of vids on YouTube.

Who would you say influences your program?
I got the idea of lowering intensity and following Prilepin's Table from a Sam Byrd article but I don't follow him or really know any more about him that that one article someone posted on a forum years ago. Like other aspects of my life, I watch and read a fair bit and take what I think is useful.

Assuming your tournament competitor doesn't read this stuff... what is your secret bjj weapon/dirty trick? I appreciate your candor.
Two points for the takedown with a low sweep single. In our gym we call it the Cheat Code because we basically start a match two points up.

My secret for improving is to objectively (as much as possible, at least) identify my holes and fill them. This is best done through competing, so I try to compete frequently, without putting pressure on myself; I'll often have a smile on my face if I lose.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
I like your attitude. Have to read up on Sam Byrd. Sounds like you got a JKD Bruce-thing going on. Props.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I have a BJJ competition next week where I want to be 67.5kg. I normally walk at 69, so it's not an issue. However, I'm competing in NAGA a few weeks later, which has different weight classes and the most sensible thing for me to do is put a little weight on. I never get above 71kg, even when I lifted heavy. I'm going to try to get to 73kg using bodyweight exercises and nutrition. And I'm going to try to do it in 4 weeks whilst increasing my cardio.

I'll let you know how it goes (probably not very well).
bodyweight exercises are relevant to my homosexual interests.

do you have any links or suggestions?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Leigh @Leigh

99% serious - any recommendations on bodyweight YouTube channels? there's so much fitness garbage, and I'm not qualified to separate the real motherfuckers from the decoys.

EDIT - also, what makes a sweep single a "low" sweep single? do you start off of an ankle pick?

Last edited:

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Leigh @Leigh

99% serious - any recommendations on bodyweight YouTube channels? there's so much fitness garbage, and I'm not qualified to separate the real motherfuckers from the decoys.

EDIT - also, what makes a sweep single a "low" sweep single? do you start off of an ankle pick?
I don't follow any channels. I figure out what exercise I want to get good at and just search for a few vids.

Yes, when I sweep single, I stay low and pick the ankle.