Gonna try a 4 week bulk using bodyweight exercises

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I have a BJJ competition next week where I want to be 67.5kg. I normally walk at 69, so it's not an issue. However, I'm competing in NAGA a few weeks later, which has different weight classes and the most sensible thing for me to do is put a little weight on. I never get above 71kg, even when I lifted heavy. I'm going to try to get to 73kg using bodyweight exercises and nutrition. And I'm going to try to do it in 4 weeks whilst increasing my cardio.

I'll let you know how it goes (probably not very well).

mko

Nov 19, 2015
Yeah, seems hard. I might have to compete above my weightclass in three weeks too(team comp). Peanut butter, bananas and chocolate are my choice.

Are you going to do strength twice a week?

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I have a BJJ competition next week where I want to be 67.5kg. I normally walk at 69, so it's not an issue. However, I'm competing in NAGA a few weeks later, which has different weight classes and the most sensible thing for me to do is put a little weight on. I never get above 71kg, even when I lifted heavy. I'm going to try to get to 73kg using bodyweight exercises and nutrition. And I'm going to try to do it in 4 weeks whilst increasing my cardio.

I'll let you know how it goes (probably not very well).
What are your macros at now and what will they be for the bulk?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Yeah, seems hard. I might have to compete above my weightclass in three weeks too(team comp). Peanut butter, bananas and chocolate are my choice.

Are you going to do strength twice a week?
Yes, I will do strength twice per week. Maybe 3 times.

What are your macros at now and what will they be for the bulk?
Not sure right now, I don't monitor it as I don't get fat. Just eat what I like and my weight has stayed the same for 20 years. Good point though, I should definitely take a look at my macros if I'm going to do this. I was going to just stuff my face a lot and eat a fat steak every day

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Thought I misread this earlier, dont mean to be disrespectful, but are you taking the piss mate? youre going to do 5x5 push ups for example?
:/

You've posted in my bodyweight thread, so you know what I'm going to do. But just to clarify:

My old weight routine was Bench, Squats, Deadlifts, Weighted Chins, Clean and Press.

2 years ago I switched to using Prilepin's Table, which drastically reduced my working weight but maintained my muscle and strength. Basically using 60% 1rm 5x5.

A few months ago I replaced all my exercises with bodyweight variations and again I've maintained my size and strength.

I currently do each exercise once per week for maintenance but I could do it 2-3 times if need be. Which is what I'll do. Plus a calorie dense shake from Taku's recipes.

I did GOMAD before but it left me bloated and horny.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I shall be doing:
Dips
Pull ups
Handstand pushups
Single leg squats
Levers (back and front - aiming for static holds rather than reps)

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Good luck this is an interesting experiment. Will you be measuring body fat percentage fluctuations?

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
No. I never intend to lift heavy again in my life
Youll be back, Ill SN bet you that youll be back to lifting at the very least to 80% using the CAT method (at the very least) within 12 months.

Unless there is a medical reason then I rescind my offer to rename you something terrible like Musashi

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Youll be back, Ill SN bet you that youll be back to lifting at the very least to 80% using the CAT method (at the very least) within 12 months.

Unless there is a medical reason then I rescind my offer to rename you something terrible like Musashi
Well its been more than 2 years since I lifted more than 65% and I'm much happier. I genuinely have no interest in ever squatting or deadlifting again, let alone with a heavy weight. My back thanks me

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Well its been more than 2 years since I lifted more than 65% and I'm much happier. I genuinely have no interest in ever squatting or deadlifting again, let alone with a heavy weight. My back thanks me
Okay all the best mate.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Okay all the best mate.
Well I simply don't see the need to lift heavy unless you're a weightlifter or powerlifter. I'm not against anyone doing it but my goals (functional strength) don't require heavy lifting.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Well I simply don't see the need to lift heavy unless you're a weightlifter or powerlifter. I'm not against anyone doing it but my goals (functional strength) don't require heavy lifting.
Yeah I know I wasnt disagreeing just wishing you well. I agree that there isnt really any need to go that heavy unless going heavy is your goal.

Russian and Central Asian wrestlers back when I was into it lifted very little compared to US wrestlers and generally tool them at high levels, a Czech wrestling coach we had used to say that there is a limited window of training per weak and if youre going wrestle you want to use 80% of that window for wrestling not 50% like the Sepos.

My Iranian mates dad was a decent level wrestler in Iran and mirrored that advice saying we were wasting our time doing loads of weights cause "weights are too predictable" and that we should practice wrestling to get better at wrestling..... ground breaking stuff lolz

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Yeah I know I wasnt disagreeing just wishing you well. I agree that there isnt really any need to go that heavy unless going heavy is your goal.

Russian and Central Asian wrestlers back when I was into it lifted very little compared to US wrestlers and generally tool them at high levels, a Czech wrestling coach we had used to say that there is a limited window of training per weak and if youre going wrestle you want to use 80% of that window for wrestling not 50% like the Sepos.

My Iranian mates dad was a decent level wrestler in Iran and mirrored that advice saying we were wasting our time doing loads of weights cause "weights are too predictable" and that we should practice wrestling to get better at wrestling..... ground breaking stuff lolz
Exactly. I value being strong but smashing my CNS (and lumbar) isn't necessary to achieve that.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Exactly. I value being strong but smashing my CNS (and lumbar) isn't necessary to achieve that.
Yeah I love not being able to soap myself properly after a DL session but if I had to back up and do wrestling, BJJ, boxing and MT IDK if Id be doing it.

Question you dont need to answer obviously, but do you remember Genki being exceptionally strong? I ask cause my coach was a shooto guy so we always had visiting Japanese guys to train with and they never felt strong just fucking slick.