Gonna try a 4 week bulk using bodyweight exercises

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Yeah I love not being able to soap myself properly after a DL session but if I had to back up and do wrestling, BJJ, boxing and MT IDK if Id be doing it.

Question you dont need to answer obviously, but do you remember Genki being exceptionally strong? I ask cause my coach was a shooto guy so we always had visiting Japanese guys to train with and they never felt strong just fucking slick.
No, he was certainly no stronger than me, despite being a bit bigger. Size and strength wasn't a factor. As you say, he was just very good

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
No, he was certainly no stronger than me, despite being a bit bigger. Size and strength wasn't a factor. As you say, he was just very good
Training in Japan vs UK or Australia will do that at least back then.

We had a small Japanese Judo guy in his 40's tap Soa at will and the dude was here to learn photography not train.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
What are your macros at now and what will they be for the bulk?
OK, at a rough estimate my macros are (based on what I guess a typical day is for me):

Fat 50g
Carbohydrates 600g
Protein 120g

Which works out at a bit over 3,000 calories. That will maintain my bodyweight at about 69-70kg.

My plan is to increase my calories to 4,000+, have a ribeye every day and do a full body strength workout 2-3 times per week.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Currently eating clean and bodyweight at 67.5, age 40

Calipers are very crude. I'm somewhere around 6%-8% bodyfat according to them. I look pretty lean.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
I still maintain you should try out some rings...might take a bit of getting used to, but the stabilising muscles you work should benefit you well in BJJ..I don't think you should have any issues getting to them right away, and even if you can't do an awesome routine from start pull ups into muscle ups into holding top position and dips is would work out really well..then agaim I don't really work out with a set weight in mind so I don't know if you'll reach your target...they are by far the best bodyweight exercises in my view though.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I still maintain you should try out some rings...might take a bit of getting used to, but the stabilising muscles you work should benefit you well in BJJ..I don't think you should have any issues getting to them right away, and even if you can't do an awesome routine from start pull ups into muscle ups into holding top position and dips is would work out really well..then agaim I don't really work out with a set weight in mind so I don't know if you'll reach your target...they are by far the best bodyweight exercises in my view though.
I have nowhere to hang them. I will look into them though ;)

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
I have nowhere to hang them. I will look into them though ;)
If you don't mind them hanging low thread them over a pull-up bar if you have one, it won't allow for muscle ups or anything really spectacular but you could still get some benefits doing L sits, push ups (or leg extensions a la Ido Portal) on them.

Good luck on your competitions dude! I will be rooting for the baddest mod on the planet.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
If you don't mind them hanging low thread them over a pull-up bar if you have one, it won't allow for muscle ups or anything really spectacular but you could still get some benefits doing L sits, push ups (or leg extensions a la Ido Portal) on them.

Good luck on your competitions dude! I will be rooting for the baddest mod on the planet.
Thanks fren :)

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I've been ill for a week, so no training or appetite. As such, I've been sitting at competition weight (67.5kg). Today I ate properly and had 3 decent meals plus 2 takeaways plus a couple of chocolate bars. I was hoping that would be a big boost but I've hardly put any weight back on LOL.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Update on my results:

Saturday 67.5
Sunday 67.9
Monday 68.5
Today (Tuesday): 68.5

This is slow going. I've had over 4,000 calories today. Hopefully I'll be over 69kg tomorrow.

Edit: Update - 69.0 today (weds)

Last edited:

pattitude

Posting Machine
Pro Fighter
Oct 25, 2015
Leigh @Leigh
Why do you want to get bigger? Guys our age should be looking to get leaner - I know I am! Lol!

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Leigh @Leigh
Why do you want to get bigger? Guys our age should be looking to get leaner - I know I am! Lol!
Because I'm already very lean and I'm in between weight classes for an upcoming comp and don't want to cut that low.

pattitude

Posting Machine
Pro Fighter
Oct 25, 2015
Ah. I see.

When i wanted to get bigger, I couldn't eat enough protein. But not shitty processed protein.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Well I'm not going to complain about the daily sirloin steaks :)

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
4000 calls that mental lol that metabolism
Yeah I know. I wrote it out and it was 4,300 kcal but some of that was based on portion size estimation.

It's working though. I'm up to 69.5kg and still climbing, so that's a 5.5lb gain so far.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
I'm still gaining but slowly. I'm just over 70kg now. I don't like all the eating but I'm definitely bigger and stronger.
Become an alcoholic then quit cold turkey. I can finish a full roast chicken with sides and be hungry 20mins later...

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
One of my mates is also trying to bulk for the same comp (he's 1 weight class up). He sent me a message:

"You felt ridiculously strong on Thursday. Questioned what I'm doing wrong."

I do feel stronger.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
One of my mates is also trying to bulk for the same comp (he's 1 weight class up). He sent me a message:

"You felt ridiculously strong on Thursday. Questioned what I'm doing wrong."

I do feel stronger.
Technique improved?

Anyway thanks for giving me something to look forward to for when im done moving weights up and down.

Today I did a volume day after testing/setting my working maxes on Monday. Bench and squat. I think I was meant to do a light speed day. FML...

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Ok, so my final result is that I got up to 71kg. That's about 7.5lbs in 4 weeks. My waist looks thicker but the calipers (as crude as they are) don't record a body fat change. I'm definitely bigger and stronger. Overall I'm reasonably happy with my progress.

I've been eating takeaways and junk food and doubled the frequency of my strength workouts. Now I'll eat clean and drop a little weight and next week I'll cut.