Cinema GoT: House of the Dragon teaser trailer

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
They could have taken literally any retarded fan fiction they found off a shitty forum and it would have been better.

And I think they have made a massive mistake in trying to reboot it by spending millions on CGI when all that emphasis on big budget spectacle and fantasy nonsense was a big reason why the first show fell on its ass.

I would still have been slightly interested if they had just used the established world and backstory to go back to making a lower budget show about scheming feudal houses. Seasons 1-4 without some of the silly fantasy shit, basically.
I only recently watched GOT. Season 8's failing was that they only had 7 episodes to to try to placate the masses "OnLy 7!?!??" They made every episode an hour and a half long. Every episode felt about 45 minutes longer than it needed to be. Someone should do a director's cut version where they take out all the filler, like the 35 minutes of a dragon burning down King's Landing, she lost it, we get it.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I only recently watched GOT. Season 8's failing was that they only had 7 episodes to to try to placate the masses "OnLy 7!?!??" They made every episode an hour and a half long. Every episode felt about 45 minutes longer than it needed to be. Someone should do a director's cut version where they take out all the filler, like the 35 minutes of a dragon burning down King's Landing, she lost it, we get it.
They could have made it 10 episodes long they wanted D&D I forget their names to do 2 more seasons but they wanted to bail to do other things they are the ones that made it 7 episodes it wasnt hbo. They half assed those seven episodes.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
They could have made it 10 episodes long they wanted D&D I forget their names to do 2 more seasons but they wanted to bail to do other things they are the ones that made it 7 episodes it wasnt hbo. They half assed those seven episodes.
It's been some time and I haven't rewatched the final season, but I do remember that everything felt rushed and like a different show.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
It's been some time and I haven't rewatched the final season, but I do remember that everything felt rushed and like a different show.
I actually don't understand how so many people think season 8 is terrible but think the previous season was just fine.

To me it's like someone saying 'Walker Texas Ranger season 8 felt rushed and went downhill' - did you not notice that Walker Texas Ranger season 7 was also complete shit?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I actually don't understand how so many people think season 8 is terrible but think the previous season was just fine.

To me it's like someone saying 'Walker Texas Ranger season 8 felt rushed and went downhill' - did you not notice that Walker Texas Ranger season 7 was also complete shit?
I made the same "Way too fucking long" comment about the north of the wall battle scene with the walkers.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I made the same "Way too fucking long" comment about the north of the wall battle scene with the walkers.
The entire white walkers part should never have existed, not just because it was fantasy mumbo jumbo, and not just because they fucked it up, but because it was redundant.

They could have made the same thinly disguised climate change point - 'silly humans fight over trivial issues while their entire existence is threatened' - by just sticking with crazy Danerys and her thinly disguised nukes (dragons) waiting to take over Westeros.

You don't need both climate change and nukes to make same point, and nukes actually feeds directly into the short-sighted follies of the political squabbles not just something that happens outside of it.

M

member 3289

It was bad, but season 8 was another level of bad.

Season 7 was the cart starting to become unhinged and season 8 was the roller coaster flying off the track into the burning sun.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019

A lot of fans were vocal about how bad season 7 was, I remember a ton of negative threads online about it. I thought the cracks started to show much earlier than that, going all the way back to season 5 with with the ludicrous Dorne / Sand Snakes plotline.

I think the reason fans didn't totally shit on season 7 was that at the end, there was still hope that somehow Benioff & Weiss would find a way to pull things out of the bag, that the way GoT ended would make up for the cheesiness that had been creeping into the show.

When season 8 happened, all hope was lost.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
A lot of fans were vocal about how bad season 7 was, I remember a ton of negative threads online about it. I thought the cracks started to show much earlier than that, going all the way back to season 5 with with the ludicrous Dorne / Sand Snakes plotline.

I think the reason fans didn't totally shit on season 7 was that at the end, there was still hope that somehow Benioff & Weiss would find a way to pull things out of the bag, that the way GoT ended would make up for the cheesiness that had been creeping into the show.

dorne was lame

but hardhome was awesome (and it happens offscreen in the books without jon snow. so the show deserves major credit for that)

the battle of the bastards was awesome

the burning of the sept was awesome

the field of fire was awesome

the long night and mad queen daenerys were awesome

so i loved it all =))

M

member 3289

dorne was lame

but hardhome was awesome (and it happens offscreen in the books without jon snow. so the show deserves major credit for that)

so i loved it all =))
You are literally the only person I know who enjoyed season 8.

You should discuss this with your psychiatrist during your next session.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015

Agreed there was a steady downhill motion from s5 on. With some bumps and hope it'll get better again. It didn't and s8 kinda killed the franchise.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
dorne was lame

so i loved it all =))
That's the thing, in the early seasons they didn't have the budget to do the huge battle scenes (remember that bit where Tyrion was about to lead the hill tribes into the Battle of the Green Fork, but they did a scene where he accidentally gets KOd and wakes up after the battle is over? GRRM later revealed that they shot that scene as they didn't have the budget to film a battle). The early seasons were the best though, when D&D had GRRM on board and were working with the brilliant source material.

In later seasons, the spectacular battles were awesome to watch, but the writing started to suffer too. The Dorne plot was like watching some cheesy 80s TV show, in fact I remember the Sand Snakes being referred to as "Fox Force Five" lol.

Which season was it where Littlefinger began to teleport around the country like he had a Tardis in order to advance the plot points as D&D wanted?

The Field of Fire had incredible visuals, but also had nonsense like a one-man handle-cranked ballista that could be reloaded in ten seconds and acted like an anti aircraft missile. The end of that episode saw Bronn tackle Jamie Lannister off his horse and into the river, fading to black as a fully armoured Jamie sank deeper and deeper, then the next one started with Bronn pulling him out of the water coughing and spluttering about two miles downstream, because plot armour.

The expedition north of the wall to get the wight was just laughable.

Tl;dr - the visual effects and huge battle sequences were increasingly used as a way to cover up just how bad the writing had become, and combined with the "let's just get this over with" attitude displayed towards the end left a bitter taste in the mouth for the majority of fans.

M

member 3289

That's the thing, in the early seasons they didn't have the budget to do the huge battle scenes (remember that bit where Tyrion was about to lead the hill tribes into the Battle of the Green Fork, but they did a scene where he accidentally gets KOd and wakes up after the battle is over? GRRM later revealed that they shot that scene as they didn't have the budget to film a battle). The early seasons were the best though, when D&D had GRRM on board and were working with the brilliant source material.

In later seasons, the spectacular battles were awesome to watch, but the writing started to suffer too. The Dorne plot was like watching some cheesy 80s TV show, in fact I remember the Sand Snakes being referred to as "Fox Force Five" lol.

Which season was it where Littlefinger began to teleport around the country like he had a Tardis in order to advance the plot points as D&D wanted?

The Field of Fire had incredible visuals, but also had nonsense like a one-man handle-cranked ballista that could be reloaded in ten seconds and acted like an anti aircraft missile. The end of that episode saw Bronn tackle Jamie Lannister off his horse and into the river, fading to black as a fully armoured Jamie sank deeper and deeper, then the next one started with Bronn pulling him out of the water coughing and spluttering about two miles downstream, because plot armour.

Tl;dr - the visual effects and huge battle sequences were increasingly used as a way to cover up just how bad the writing had become, and combined with the "let's just get this over with" attitude displayed towards the end left a bitter taste in the mouth for the majority of fans.

View: https://youtu.be/GI7zy1PTMp0

View: https://youtu.be/5B8Ycfy-Ldc

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

I agree on Dorne. I disagree on the time travel complaints tho

That became a major water cooler talking point around season 5, but its a weak argument in my opinion

No one cared that ned left winterfell and they got down to the trident in the same epispdr.
no one cared when catleyn left winterfell and arrived to kings landing in her next scene. Mo one cared thwt dany got married in pentos and is thousands of miles away in the dothraki sea in her nextscenery

Those are exanples from the first three episodes alone. There are plenty of other examples. But the point is, you only write book chapters or show scenes when theres something of note happening. Otherwise, It's implied that time has passed between scenes

The one exception was dany getting news and flying up to the lake. Because we have a timeline to go by with them freezing. Her getting there that fast didn't make sense

You do have a point with some of the other stuff. Like the jaime bronn thing.

But there's a misconception about the show being hated. The dissenting voice is often the loudest

S5 s6 and s7 are in the mid to high 90s on rotten tomatoes. Those seasons are beloved by fans despite cringey shit in dorne and other stuff

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
@fingers could fix it.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
The entire white walkers part should never have existed, not just because it was fantasy mumbo jumbo, and not just because they fucked it up, but because it was redundant.

They could have made the same thinly disguised climate change point - 'silly humans fight over trivial issues while their entire existence is threatened' - by just sticking with crazy Danerys and her thinly disguised nukes (dragons) waiting to take over Westeros.

You don't need both climate change and nukes to make same point, and nukes actually feeds directly into the short-sighted follies of the political squabbles not just something that happens outside of it.
Oh, I see your problem. As soon as a show is stated as being in the "Fantasy" genre. Just completely ignore any deeper meaning the writers/director's try to inject.

May 1, 2022
I just mean in general. Like GOT obviously went to painstaking lengths to rehearse and craft those scense based on historical battles. But we don't even know if historical battles were fought like that.
The gunfight at the OK corral is relatively recent and the way it’s portrayed now is almost certainly totally wrong.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Historical warfare is stupid. When we fought the frogs we would meet on a field, stand in a line, then shoot each other..... Then do it again.

Until one team was dead.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
GoT started out tit heavy and then gradually showed less and less nudity.

Since this is a prequel, is it fair to assume we should be seeing plenty of boobs?