Grappling Strength

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

WyattJohn

Lurker
Mar 4, 2020
I've heard a lot about a sort of special 'strength' that you can only develop through years of grappling/wrestling, especially recently with all of the discussion around Khabib Nurmagomedov. What is that though? I always just assumed that good grapplers were just really good at using leverage to their advantage, making them seem much stronger than they really are, and I imagine that has at least partially to do with it, but when I see Khabib just picking people up by one leg or lifting and tossing them over his head as soon as he locks his hands around them, it really makes me wonder if there actually is something to this special 'grappling/wrestling strength' thing. Is grappling just very good at training adaptable or flexible strength AKA "functional strength" for more various motions and applications, allowing you to develop a greater amount of effective strength for your size or something?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
You're correct. Good physical strength coupled with good understanding of biomechanics and thousands of hours of training to build efficiency and neural pathways.

The same way an elite tennis player will hit a ball much harder than any of us, even if we out bench them. Their whole body is coordinated perfectly to develop maximum power in that particular movement and they also have no muscle weaknesses in their kinetic linking.

kristian82

Feb 26, 2020
I don't even think you even need to be elite to gain this either. I've been training for about 6/7 years and guys that are way stronger than me in the weights room but no grappling experience feel weak if we wrestle.