Greg Jackson has a great deal of respect for the punching power of Anthony Johnson.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Jackson was in Andrei Arlvoski's corner for a heavyweight fight against Johnson nearly two years ago in Atlantic City. The bout headlined a World Series of Fighting card in March 2013.

Johnson (19-4) dropped Arlovski twice with right hands at the end of the first round. The punches broke Arlovski's jaw in two places, although he managed to finish the three-round fight. Johnson won by decision.

As Jackson prepares UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones for a title defense against Johnson, he says he's training him for the hardest-hitting opponent of his career.

"[Daniel] Cormier was knocking people around left and right, too, but as far as raw power, I don't think anybody hits harder in the division than Johnson."

According to Jackson, Jones has not officially started camp for Johnson. The UFC has not announced a date for the fight, but current expectations are that it could headline an event in May.

Jones, 27, recently relocated to Albuquerque, N.M., to dedicate himself full time at Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA. Jackson said Jones has been hitting mitts but won't get fully back into hard training until later this month.

Jackson said he had no preference for Jones between fighting Johnson or Alexander Gustafsson next. The two contenders fought on Jan. 24 in Sweden, with Johnson scoring a quick first-round TKO.

"We've cornered against Johnson before, and he is such an impressive dude," Jackson said. "His punch, good Lord, that thing hits hard. He is going to be a real challenge. That's a loaded gun that can go off at any time.

"I'm good with whoever they put in front of Jon. I don't have any preferences. I'm not like, 'Oh, I wish you could fight so-and-so, because it hardly ever works out that way. Whoever they put in front of me, that's who I have to solve."

In regard to Jones' positive drug test ahead of his title defense against Cormier at UFC 182 on Jan. 3, Jackson said he is not worried about his star pupil's immediate future and believes he has dealt with the matter correctly.

Jones has said he underwent a 24-hour evaluation at a drug-treatment facility shortly after news of the positive drug test and has taken on outpatient therapy. He has denied any serious drug addiction.

"He is definitely a grown man," Jackson said. "I can give my advice to him as a friend and say, 'If you're going to party, make sure you don't repeat your past mistakes,' but I'm not going to follow him around or anything. I'm not a baby-sitter.

"I don't [have any concerns about Jones]. He's doing the right things to get control of the mistakes he made. I'm not worried about him."

espn.go.com/blog/MMA/post/_/id/21782/

Rico_Cutler

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Still cant believe Arlovski made it 3 rounds with Rumble.

Cormier cracked Jones with upper cuts over and over. If AJ is able to hit Jones as easy as Cormier was able to then hes going to sleep Bones.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
Rico_Cutler;n18602 said:
Still cant believe Arlovski made it 3 rounds with Rumble.

Cormier cracked Jones with upper cuts over and over. If AJ is able to hit Jones as easy as Cormier was able to then hes going to sleep Bones.
he has much better hands than dc, so it's going to happen. we'll see what jon's chin is really made of in this fight, and i bet he goes to sleep. rumbles reach is more than gus, so he could really light jon up fast. he isn't a t-rex like dc.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
ministry of silly walks;n19179 said:
he has much better hands than dc, so it's going to happen. we'll see what jon's chin is really made of in this fight, and i bet he goes to sleep. rumbles reach is more than gus, so he could really light jon up fast. he isn't a t-rex like dc.
I hope you are right.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I hope this doesn't mean he'll use a game plan like Guida vs Maynard, very doubtful but you never know. If the plan is to avoid any potential power shots will he just be circling the outside and doing patty cake like the Rashad fight or clinch and grind with wall n stall? What is the better option and what areas do you guys see AJ winning besides big exchanges?

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I sucked Stillmatics WOODley;n19278 said:
I hope this doesn't mean he'll use a game plan like Guida vs Maynard, very doubtful but you never know. If the plan is to avoid any potential power shots will he just be circling the outside and doing patty cake like the Rashad fight or clinch and grind with wall n stall? What is the better option and what areas do you guys see AJ winning besides big exchanges?
I'd expect to see Jones fight like he did against Glover, perhaps with more takedowns mixed in. Have we ever seen AJ on his back? I can't remember it, is his game from his back a known quantity that I'm forgetting or have we really never seen it? The Vitor fight doesn't count for obvious reasons.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
Zeph;n19352 said:
I'd expect to see Jones fight like he did against Glover, perhaps with more takedowns mixed in. Have we ever seen AJ on his back? I can't remember it, is his game from his back a known quantity that I'm forgetting or have we really never seen it? The Vitor fight doesn't count for obvious reasons.
This is probably most likely, a lot of grinding on the fence to tire out AJs arms and a steady mix of takedowns. Johnson has a more diverse striking arsenal though, can't remember Glover showing much of a kicking game.

Can Jones keep him down if he gets him there and how will his chin hold up when the inevitable haymaker lands, should be an interesting scrap.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
As much as I want to see JBJ get put to sleep, I don't see it happening. I always get my hopes up, but he just keeps winning. I'm still pissed that Gus didn't get the immediate rematch. I think he has the best chance of beating JBJ. Rumble shit all over the hopes I had of seeing Gus get another shot. Despite my anger at him for knocking out Gus, I will still be rooting for Rumble in a major way. Agreed, if he gets a clean shot on JBJ it will be trouble, but I don't think Jones allows it.

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
I'm torn on this fight. On one hand I want MMA to have a Tyson-esque figure like Jones we can all agree is 'that guy', on the other I just plain out want Rumble to win.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Jan 30, 2015
ABE FROMAN;n21606 said:
I'm torn on this fight. On one hand I want MMA to have a Tyson-esque figure like Jones we can all agree is 'that guy', on the other I just plain out want Rumble to win.
When I was lurking the UG I always got the impression you were a big Jones fan, just keeping the irrational retards in check?

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Suicidalforlife;n21613 said:
When I was lurking the UG I always got the impression you were a big Jones fan, just keeping the irrational retards in check?
It tends to be when you aren't a hater you come across as the most loyal fan on the UG, when it comes to Jon Jones anyway.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Jan 30, 2015
Zeph;n21623 said:
It tends to be when you aren't a hater you come across as the most loyal fan on the UG, when it comes to Jon Jones anyway.
This is true, Jones might be a bit annoying but he is as close to the perfect champion in the cage as we have right now.

For a guy with such high fight IQ he does say and do some dumb shit though, the ridiculous out cry when he does is strange.

I find it funny more than anything, his special night quote had me rolling when he said it to Rashad.

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
Suicidalforlife;n21613 said:
I was always a Rashad fan and only warmed up to Jones the more grit I saw him show in fights and the irrational level of hate he was getting from the same people. I just found it funny how much that place broke down every time he won. lol

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Jan 30, 2015
^I loved him when I saw him first, told all my friends they had to see this guy in action that he was amazing. He lost me a bit with the whole I love you jesus vibe. Like you say he has shown the grit, even though I knew he was amazingly talented he always seemed like when the shit hit the fan he would wilt. The Gus fight showed how wrong I was and the same versus Cormier, he gets stronger as it gets into those rounds when you have to dig deep. He might come across as a bit arrogant but he works his tits off to make sure he can afford to be.