GSP wants to fight 'biggest name' over title shot

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Nate Diaz recently called the UFC title a "fairy tale." Georges St-Pierre didn't go that far, but came pretty close on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani on Monday.

GSP said he would rather take on the biggest stars, rather than fight again for the UFC welterweight title he held on two separate occasions. Having the belt, the Canadian legend reasoned, doesn't necessarily mean you are the best.

"I'm gonna tell you something," St-Pierre said. "The belt is the title and maybe I shouldn't say that. Maybe my manager will be angry. Yes, the belt means a lot.

"I would rather be known as the best ever than holding the belt. If you're the best and even if you don't have the belt and you're the best, it's more gratifying. The belt is a material thing. It's good. I won it a few times. But I want to fight the best, the biggest name."

LINK: Georges St-Pierre wants to fight 'biggest name' rather than for 'material' title

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Because he doesn't want to slashed to death by Robbie..........

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Because titles have lost much of their meaning due to interim titles and a silly ranking system that only makes sense in egg's head. There's money to be had now, big money. Some Irish guy showed up and got the biggest check's ever. Can't recall his name, he's retired and all.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
And there it is.. my guess of GSP vs Conor from before is coming to light. If Conor beat nate that night, they were going to bring in GSP, that's why he was there.

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015
All the belt is now, is a marketing tool, to put asses in seats. The rankings are a joke and even then you might not get a title shot. GSP is spot on.

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
GSP is trying to catch up to Conor's bank. He'd probably fight Peter Dinklage for the right money.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Belt legitimacy contributes to financial success. They may have been devalued a little, and sometimes that is smart, but if you completely devalue them for short-term game, you hurt the business long-term. In fact, in this case, the 170 belt being on the line is what makes him vs Lawler a money fight.

GSP will make as much money fighting Lawler as he will vs anyone else, with the only exceptions being Conor definitely and Diaz brothers maybe. Champ coming back to reclaim his title vs a guy everyone knows now as the most exciting fighter in the sport. I don't see the Anderson fight outselling that personally, Anderson's stock is not what it once was. I would guarantee a GSP return vs Robbie, if promoted half-decently, would be a megafight.

If he doesn't want the Lawler fight, that's absolutely fine. But let's not pretend the reason is because it wouldn't sell.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
"But I want to fight the best, the biggest name."

So he either wants to fight Werdum, or Brock Lesnar. I anxiously await the answer.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Now that GSP and Conor are both retired, they can come out of retirement for one last showdown at.... Ufc 200

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
He wants to fight Conor because he needs a warm up before fighting Lawler. After seeing Cabo Nate get paid for a relatively easy fight he figures he can practice his takedowns for a round or two and get paid well to do it.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
What biggest names are there left really?

Georges' generation is all but gone. :(