Society Gun laws and violent crime- help me out Americans

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
As Brazil has ramped up their "War on Drugs", they've seen their Murder Rate (gross and per capita) set world records in recent years.
"Brazil has beat its own macabre record for homicides: 63,880 people were murdered across the country in 2017, up 3 percent from the year before, according to a new study.

That’s 175 deaths per day.

Data from the Brazilian Forum of Public Security, a research organization, shows the murder rate in the country was 30.8 per 100,000 people, up from 29.9 in 2016. For the sake of comparison, the United States had five homicides per 100,000 people in 2015 — the most recent year for which data are available — down from eight per 100,000 in 1996. Even Mexico, which is also suffering from a soaring murder rate, had less homicides per capita with 25 per 100,000 last year.

What is driving the increase in homicides?
Organized crime is one of the driving factors behind the rise.

Brazil’s murder rate has soared as rival drug gangs battle for territory in a country that shares borders with the three biggest cocaine producing countries in the world — Colombia, Peru and Bolivia. Brazil is a major consumer of both cocaine and crack and a key transit point for cocaine headed to Europe and Asia.

Not surprisingly, two of the states with the highest murder rates, Acre and Ceará, are thoroughfares along the main smuggling routes..."

A Year of Violence Sees Brazil’s Murder Rate Hit Record High

M

member 3289

Filthy @Filthy 80% of Brazil's population is in the southeast, far away from those borders.

You really should quit while you're behind.

Thank you to: tang @tang, Andrewsimar Palhardass @Andrewsimar Palhardass, Splinty @Splinty, HEATH VON DOOM @HEATH VON DOOM, @conor mcgregor nut hugger for contributing- a good variety of perspectives on how to look at the question. I've gone down a rabbit hole of confusion.

What I mean is, now I'm looking at the words dangerous and violent and realizing that they are not the same thing at all. A dangerous place to live might have a lot of deaths and accidents causing serious injury but those stats could be due more in part to vehicular accidents.

I'm honestly not even sure where to objectively begin, I think Andrewsimar Palhardass @Andrewsimar Palhardass is most "right" (I hate to use that term when it comes to opinions and such) in that it's something I can't hope to fully investigate by myself and be able to digest it. It's a topic which really needs about half a dozen people who can be objectively critical. It's tricky.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Crime rates = reported offences and do not represent accurate enough information to draw a correlation either way. Too many factors impact the number of offences being reported to the police.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
also, to put what he/she said in Math Numbers, I think if the per capita rate is coming from only 20% of the population, the actual per capita rate in areas where the Drug War is being contested is actually 5X the world-recording setting numbers quoted in the article.

so I think that makes my point about the correlation of the Drug War and violent crime stronger.

It's relevant, but in exactly the opposite way it was intended? Maybe I missed something, not being insincere, hope somebody points it out to me and we can all have a nice laugh about my ego.

:cheers:

tagging for input:
@blank
tang @tang, Andrewsimar Palhardass @Andrewsimar Palhardass, Splinty @Splinty, HEATH VON DOOM @HEATH VON DOOM,

Last edited:

also, to put what he/she said in Math Numbers, I think if the per capita rate is coming from only 20% of the population, the actual per capita rate in areas where the Drug War is being contested is actually 5X the world-recording setting numbers quoted in the article.

so I think that makes my point about the correlation of the Drug War and violent crime stronger.

It's relevant, but in exactly the opposite way it was intended? Maybe I missed something, not being insincere, hope somebody points it out to me and we can all have a nice laugh about my ego.

:cheers:

tagging for input:
@blank
tang @tang, Andrewsimar Palhardass @Andrewsimar Palhardass, Splinty @Splinty, HEATH VON DOOM @HEATH VON DOOM,
I'm bad with the relation between numbers (thick as a brick when it comes to that) can you explain it to me (preferably in a non-condescending manner) with that in mind?

M

member 3289

I'm bad with the relation between numbers (thick as a brick when it comes to that) can you explain it to me (preferably in a non-condescending manner) with that in mind?
Fix this run-on sentence ffs

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
it's like if I said it's bad because it happens to 2 people out of every 100.

but someone else comes along and says it's not bad, because it actually happens to 2 people out of every 20.

2 people out of every 20 is the same as 10 people out of every 100.

it's like if I said it's bad because it happens to 2 people out of every 100.

but someone else comes along and says it's not bad, because it actually happens to 2 people out of every 20.

2 people out of every 20 is the same as 10 people out of every 100.

Those are choice.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
it's not relevant to the point about the Drug War being a prime driver of violent crime, not access to firearms.

and it's an opportunity for he/she to be he/she.

View: https://youtu.be/452XjnaHr1A?t=20
Strange ..I always remembered that clip as “What we “Have” here is a failure to communicate....

In that clip it is: “What we “Got” here is a failure to communicate.

Mandela Effect ...Ella ...Ella...Ella...under my Umbrella

Proof of Reisdue from a shift ...

In the movie Major Payne Wayans quotes from the movie Cool Hand Luke:

But here he makes the accurate quote of “HAVE”

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
I don't own guns because I really don't trust myself(or anyone else) enough to own a device only engineered to murder things. I come here to joke and have a good time but irl I am a bit of a maniac when pissed.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Strange ..I always remembered that clip as “What we “Have” here is a failure to communicate....

In that clip it is: “What we “Got” here is a failure to communicate.

Mandela Effect ...Ella ...Ella...Ella...under my Umbrella

Proof of Reisdue from a shift ...

In the movie Major Payne Wayans quotes from the movie Cool Hand Luke:

But here he makes the accurate quote of “HAVE”

i watched the movie a bunch as a kid, but GnR included the clip on Civil War...which is why I remember that line so well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isCh4kCeNYU

Too swole to control

I’ll fight anyone on here except Sex Chicken
Oct 28, 2015
I don't own guns because I really don't trust myself(or anyone else) enough to own a device only engineered to murder things. I come here to joke and have a good time but irl I am a bit of a maniac when pissed.
What stops you from stabbing someone or running then over w your car?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
good move
mine are for hunting and home defense only

not touching them when angry...I rarely get angry though

Last edited: