Lifestyle Gun Policy Overhaul Discussion

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
If there was a comprehensive gun policy legislation that went as follows, would you support it?

• Police mostly disarm, but use batons, mace and tasers. Guns are restricted to special emergency units that are called for shootouts
  • Nonprofit community based armories are set up where you can keep any type of gun you own and use it for recreational purposes. These centers also offer mental health counseling, special events, and gun transactions between members.
  • Home ownership of guns is restricted to Shotguns and non automatic hunting rifles.
  • The government engages in a massive gun buyback and destruction program that mostly targets urban areas at first but then rolls out to everyone else in the US. Guns can be alternately stored at community centers, but there is a financial incentive to sell.
  • Illegal arms trafficking and gun possession penalties become stiffer as does border and port enforcement to stem the tide of illicit weapons in the US.
If you would oppose this kind of strategy, tell me what's missing or what's wrong with a particular point. Offhand, the first thing I see is that the state becomes more empowered as it possesses an arms advantage, but that's already the case now, by a considerable magnitude. The other problem is the question of how much the suppression of the illegal trade would work, but the combination of buybacks is meant to at least incentivize fewer petty criminals to stay armed. More organized criminals, including gangs, may preserve an advantage, but it's one they'd have anyway due to numbers. Prosecutions would mostly target them.

Obviously, I'm coming from a fairly liberal perspective, but I've enjoyed shooting guns and know people who have strong opinions against any type of control. I'm trying to suss out what pro-gun folks think and would prefer any partisanship, hysteria, or links be kept out of it.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Home ownership of guns is restricted to Shotguns and non automatic hunting rifles.
This would never pass as law because it's entirely unconstitutional. There is also no sound logic behind banning certain types of firearms over others.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Vote it down. People have the right to defend themselves and theirs.
According to this, you can still have shotguns and rifles for home defense. Shotgun is my weapon of choice for that anyway.

So do you mean when carrying in public settings?

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
For those citing the 2nd Amendment, let's say this is a new Amendment.
It's ridiculous. Presumably the owner would be able to retrieve their firearm from the armory whenever they please? How long can the owner keep the gun checked out? Is it due back by midnight?

Would the measure be intended for peace of mind, or crime deterrent? Seems it would be pretty ineffective for either considering if someone means harm they could just retrieve their rifle from wherever it's legally housed and cause whatever mayhem they want.

Also, handguns are the number one cause of gun homicides.

Coincidentally, high-powered rifles are also the most effective option for a well-regulated militia in the case it was needed to overthrow our tyrannical government. It's a double no from me. Sorry dude.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I think this could work, with walls at Canada & Mexico 500' high, 5,000 feet deep, overwhelming submarine scanners, and execution for illegal immigrants, as well as no metal detectors at courts, police stations, airports, or government buildings.
Throw in 2 year mandatory psychology degrees for all police personnel, double their salaries, and public execution for any corporate or pharmaceutical employees who knowingly cause or abett public harm.
Throw out the IRS, department of education, Council of Foreign Relations, Trilateral Commission, Bureau of Land Management, & restrict welfare to churches.
OK, I'll give it a shot.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
The one additional gun control measure I would support is a one-time psychological screening prior to first ownership.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Police mostly disarm, but use batons, mace and tasers. Guns are restricted to special emergency units that are called for shootouts
You will never have this if you still allow gun ownership for home defense. Police would be at a huge disadvantage.

A buyback is a good idea, but that's like step 7. Step 1 would be to stop selling seized weapons back to the public. If the state thinks there are too many guns on the street they should destroy the ones they confiscate.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
You will never have this if you still allow gun ownership for home defense. Police would be at a huge disadvantage.

A buyback is a good idea, but that's like step 7. Step 1 would be to stop selling seized weapons back to the public. If the state thinks there are too many guns on the street they should destroy the ones they confiscate.
Step 1 should be to mandate selling seized weapons back to the public.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Buncha commie bastards in here.

GO BACK TO CAMEROON MOTHERFUCKERS

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Police mostly disarm, but use batons, mace and tasers. Guns are restricted to special emergency units that are called for shootouts.
Cool, so if a cop shows up to a situation and someone pulls a gun, they can run and hide and hope they don't get shot before the real cops with guns show up :rolleyes:

Being a cop is dangerous enough, we don't need to cuck the cops.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
It's ridiculous. Presumably the owner would be able to retrieve their firearm from the armory whenever they please? How long can the owner keep the gun checked out? Is it due back by midnight?

Would the measure be intended for peace of mind, or crime deterrent? Seems it would be pretty ineffective for either considering if someone means harm they could just retrieve their rifle from wherever it's legally housed and cause whatever mayhem they want.

Also, handguns are the number one cause of gun homicides.

Coincidentally, high-powered rifles are also the most effective option for a well-regulated militia in the case it was needed to overthrow our tyrannical government. It's a double no from me. Sorry dude.

In this scenario, guns could only be used at the community center. Rifles and shotguns coule be used elsewhere, but your other weapons would be stored and used onsite.

I don't understand the point about handguns since they're in the locker in this instance. Rifles and shotguns would still be at home so you're tyrrany proofed as much as you may think you can be.